What's new

Difference between Gillette Diplomat and President

OK, 48-51 Aristocrat but it is not same thoughno notch, end caps or text inside the head.(PAT. NOS. ON PACKAGE)

The Regent Tech (and the '41 Aristocrat for that matter) are more like the '46-'47 Aristocrat just without end caps. They're also unnotched and have the unknurled bands at both ends of the handle.

The Regent Tech (and the '41 Aristocrat for that matter) are more like the '46-'47 Aristocrat just without end caps. They're also unnotched and have the unknurled bands at both ends of the handle.
Yes, I remember you posted something about the difference while back wasn't sure about the exact dates, very good.

Since none of your guys really answered my question, I will conclude that the first President is an Aristocrat plated in rhodium; the Diplomat is a President plated in gold. There would be no way to tell if a President were plated in gold or a Diplomat plated in rhodium.

The Aristocrat and the President are NOT the same. The President is much more aggressive than a Aristocrat. I own both and no way are they shave alike. As far as the Diplomat.... don’t own one but it’s always been my understanding they are the basically the same as a President but with Different plating.

Referring to the different handles.... Gillette used at least two different handles on the President. they are basically the same but some have a smooth band while others are knurled. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine has a President and his has a smooth band while mine is knurled

Hope this helps

To be honest.... I rarely use my Gillette President Because of the aggressivenes. It’s just not as comfortable to use while not being anymore efficient than a Aristocrat. So my President model sits in its case collecting dust

The very first President (Y-1) was a rhodium plated Aristocrat handle with a band next to the TTO knob.

L to R

1946-47 Aristocrat (gold) top and bottom band
1948-51 Aristocrat (gold) knurling top and bottom band
1953 Y-1 President (rhodium) knurling top and bottom band
1953 Y-2 President (rhodium) knurling top and bottom

IMHO the 46-47 Aristocrat is just a shade more aggressive then the other three. Presidents are nice shavers and have a nice feel in your hand..... hard to explain...... It's my Sunday shaver.
The 1948-1951 aristocrat has one knurled band and one smooth band. The diplomat is gold and both bands are knurled.

Top Bottom