1948-1951 Aristocrat, gold plated
1953 Diplomat, gold plated
1953 President, nickel plated

The Diplomat and President have the knurling near the knob
paperclip.png
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php

If you are asking about how the two shave, I've never noticed a difference. Far as I know they just have the different plating and came in different cases.

My inquiry is simply this. If you took a Diplomat and plated it in rhodium would it be a President? The same for a President plated in gold; would that be a Diplomat? In other words are there any differences such as blade gap or anything else that would - other than plating - differentiate the two.

The very first President (Y-1) was a rhodium plated Aristocrat handle with a band next to the TTO knob.

L to R

1946-47 Aristocrat (gold) top and bottom band
1948-51 Aristocrat (gold) knurling top and bottom band
1953 Y-1 President (rhodium) knurling top and bottom band
1953 Y-2 President (rhodium) knurling top and bottom

IMHO the 46-47 Aristocrat is just a shade more aggressive then the other three. Presidents are nice shavers and have a nice feel in your hand..... hard to explain...... It's my Sunday shaver.

Attachments

• $IMG_1039 (2).jpg
    $IMG_1039 (2).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 524
Thank you, Chuckman. Where does the Diplomat fit into this hierarchy? I have a cased 1948-1951 Aristocrat, a Y1 and an A1 President; and two cased A2 Diplomats. My Y1 President is knurled all the way like the Y2 in your picture.

Last edited:
Thank you, Chuckman. Where does the Diplomat fit into this hierarchy? I have a cased 1948-1951 Aristocrat, a Y1 and an A1 President; and two cased A2 Diplomats. My Y1 President is knurled all the way like the Y2 in your picture.

Hierarchy of what? Aggression, price, shave, collectors value?

Technically speaking.

From Chuckman post:

The very first President (Y-1) was a rhodium plated Aristocrat handle with a band next to the TTO knob.

L to R

1946-47 Aristocrat (gold) top and bottom band
1948-51 Aristocrat (gold) knurling top and bottom band
1953 Y-1 President (rhodium) knurling top and bottom band
1953 Y-2 President (rhodium) knurling top and bottom

IMHO the 46-47 Aristocrat is just a shade more aggressive then the other three. Presidents are nice shavers and have a nice feel in your hand..... hard to explain...... It's my Sunday shaver.

"""Thank you, Chuckman. Where does the Diplomat fit into this hierarchy? I have a cased 1948-1951 Aristocrat, a Y1 and an A1 President; and two cased A2 Diplomats. My Y1 President is knurled all the way like the Y2 in your picture.""""
From those you mentioned, I think in a blind shave test, you would probably not feel a difference. Presidents seem to be harder to come by and so it depends on whether you prefer gold or rhodium. Again, just my opinion.

Since none of your guys really answered my question, I will conclude that the first President is an Aristocrat plated in rhodium; the Diplomat is a President plated in gold. There would be no way to tell if a President were plated in gold or a Diplomat plated in rhodium.

Since none of your guys really answered my question, I will conclude that the first President is an Aristocrat plated in rhodium; the Diplomat is a President plated in gold. There would be no way to tell if a President were plated in gold or a Diplomat plated in rhodium.
You are asking questions and when a member answers , u ask another question and confuse the answer. B&B member Chuckman already answered your question. If you want to know how to detect what razor is plated you can take it to a jeweler because sometimes users can replate razors to alter its original plating. But for the record the razors you asked about all differ in plating, and by design just slightly . The aggression levels of each is slightly different but not major.
$Aristocrat, Diplomat, President-01.jpg

Last edited:
1948-50 Aristocrat models from this time period are a little tamer than their predecessors ...1946-47 considered most aggressive version of the Aristocrat.

Top Bottom