What's new

Difference between AS, EDT, Cologne?

This is a basic question and some may laugh...but what is the difference between aftershave, EDT and cologne? I would think the magnitude and longevity of the scent but what else is different and what is the intended use of each type?

Aftershave - any product you use after a shave (duh! :tongue_sm) intended to help heal, repair, protect skin. Scent, if any, is a secondary consideration.

Cologne/Edt - basically, perfume for men. There's a traditional gradation of scents from least to most concentrated (eau de cologne -> eau de toilette -> eau de parfum -> perfume), but there's no real hard and fast rule what's what anymore. EdT is more concentrated that EdC, but marketing / branding plays as much into it as anything.

To confuse things even more, there are hybrid products that have the benefits of both, and some products are just plain mis-named. Most "famous person" named aftershaves are really just scent and alcohol, there's no real skin-healthy ingredients in there.

Scent, if any, is a secondary consideration.

Adding to your definition, the scent of Aftershave by design is supposed to be short lived. Typically the scent of an aftershave will last anywhere from 10 minutes, to perhaps an hour or two. It's not meant to fulfill the role of cologne, who's scent is typically good for 4+ hours/ all day.

There are of course exception to this rule, but originally as designed the term Aftershave meant a short lived scent (due to possessing far fewer amount of fragrance compounds).

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Aftershave - any product you use after a shave (duh! :tongue_sm) intended to help heal, repair, protect skin. Scent, if any, is a secondary consideration.

Cologne/Edt - basically, perfume for men. There's a traditional gradation of scents from least to most concentrated (eau de cologne -> eau de toilette -> eau de parfum -> perfume), but there's no real hard and fast rule what's what anymore. EdT is more concentrated that EdC, but marketing / branding plays as much into it as anything.

To confuse things even more, there are hybrid products that have the benefits of both, and some products are just plain mis-named. Most "famous person" named aftershaves are really just scent and alcohol, there's no real skin-healthy ingredients in there.
Chris:
proxy.php
...while aftershave (AS), products contain an astringent (alcohol-based), which closes the pores of the skin, improving the appearance of the skin, and helps prevent infection, some AS products contain a moisturizer. If not, the addition of glycerin will fix this problem (I add glycerin to my Clubman Citrus Musk Cologne). Also, AS will have alot less (percentage wise), essential scent oils than cologne which is why AS will not have a lasting effect than colognes.

Cologne on the other hand could have a concentration of 3%-15% essential scent oils and/or aromatic compounds and in my opinion only good for making you smell nice and does not have any other properties, such as being a AS. The higher the percentage of essential oils / aromatic compounds ...the longer your cologne will last, and the less you need to apply eventhough your own nose will become accustomed to the smell, and you will think it has worn off.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ight=diffrence+between+aftershave+and+cologne

proxy.php
"Hard work is the aftershave [and cologne] of accomplishment". Author Unknown

What specifically are you asking about? Is it because the AS splash scent lasts a long time?

Most of the AS's are cheaper, although since some people like using them as a body splash (which it of course allows for, why not use more of their product!) then you could use that as a cologne technically, but most people don't.

The cologne are all in glass bottles and are 10x as expensive but the scent usually last a long time. If you tried a "splash" of a cologne not from a gas station you will likely smell up the entire house, so you definitely know the scent and probably have noticed the names/prices. Is it just what it does to you?

I guess that part was explained, I'm not sure how to get them confused since I would think if you put a "splash" of cologne on your neck, people would start suffocating :lol:

Top Bottom