What's new

Didn't like RR Hawks. Will I also dislike Feather AC SR?

I've been shaving with DE and SE razors for the last 3-4 years. I tried Hawk v2 and v3, but didn't like the shave I got from AC blades. The ProGuard was too tuggy, while Pro and ProSuper were pretty uneven, leaving my skin hot red in some spots and a lot of stubble on my neck after ATG where I usually have issues with DE blades too. I usually get this with DE razors that are not efficient enough for me, so it could be that the Hawks were too mild for my whiskers. I have the infamous growth on the neck where the hairs lie flat on the skin and grow in weird directions.

Anyway, I would like to get Feather SR, but because of my experience with hawks I'm now worried my skin just doesn't like the AC format. Any thoughts on this?

I could diagnose the problem you are having with the Hawk, but that is not what you are asking about so I will stick to the blades. One thing to keep in mind is any form of open blade shaving is done at a much lower angle than most safety razors. It is very difficult to transfer conclusions about blades over to a different format entirely. I use Pro Supers in my DX. I have had an SR.

The general recommendation is to get one of the knockoff Kai AC razors for $20 and try it out! You will have a learning curve.

I could diagnose the problem you are having with the Hawk, but that is not what you are asking about so I will stick to the blades. One thing to keep in mind is any form of open blade shaving is done at a much lower angle than most safety razors. It is very difficult to transfer conclusions about blades over to a different format entirely. I use Pro Supers in my DX. I have had an SR.

The general recommendation is to get one of the knockoff Kai AC razors for $20 and try it out! You will have a learning curve.

I guess the issue with the Hawks is the proper shaving angle... But it gave me such bad shaves that I honestly gave up trying. DE razors are less finicky about the angle, or at least the ones I frequently use.

Great advice, thanks. Do you mean something like Univinlions and Sapphoo from Aliexpress? Do they give a good representation of how the original Feather shavettes are?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The General looks interesting, but isn't available at the moment. I chose the Executive Shaving Co Claymore Evolution precisely for the angle of the head to the handle. It's more of a right angle than the RR Hawk V3. I haven't used the Hawk V3, but I am certainly enjoying the Claymore Evo. For me, though this is subjective, it ended my search for a wet shaving razor. I'm experimenting with blades now. It won't take long to determine which one is the best fit for me, but I'm in no rush. I'm getting amazing shaves with both the Feather ProGuards and the Feather ProSoft Guards as well.

Great advice, thanks. Do you mean something like Univinlions and Sapphoo from Aliexpress? Do they give a good representation of how the original Feather shavettes are?
Yes, there are many of them available from different sources. There are reviews on here, I don’t have one personally. They are closest in shape to either the Feather SR or Kai, but made from cast metal instead of machined. @eurolander was using them for a long time before getting his SR, haven’t seen him lately.

I guess the issue with the Hawks is the proper shaving angle... But it gave me such bad shaves that I honestly gave up trying. DE razors are less finicky about the angle, or at least the ones I frequently use.

I think so. The fit and finish of the Aliexpress clones are not as good or precise, but will still shave well enough. Once you have learned with one it is easy to switch over and use a Feather, Kai, or other better made razor if you want.

Note that there are at least three different styles (copies/clones) sold there. Ones with a smooth profile that looks and shave much like the original Feather AC, ones with scalloped face that look much like the Kai Kasho. I think you are asking about the first type, and there might be subtle differences between the different ones being sold but I roughly put them all into the same bucket (along with the Kai Kasho style) in terms of how they will feel when learning to shave. The third style is the Feather SS, the ones with the concave face which will shave a lot like the Feather SS.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Which baseplate do you have for the Hawk V3?

The Hawk V3-OC is the most efficient safety razor I've tried, so not exactly sure I understand what you mean when you use Hawk and mild in the same sentence. What are you comparing it to?

Are you willing to try other blades? IMO, Kai Mild are worth trying if you're still interested in experimenting.

Two different kettles of fish…

One is a close relative of the safety razor, the other a close relative of the straight razor.
What they have in common are Feather AC blades that tend to be harsh in the first 2-3 shaves.

If you are not an experience straight shaver, I would therefore not recommend a Feather AC razor.

That Feather AC razors are straight razors on training wheels is a myth.
In fact, they are less forgiving than a well tuned straight razor and it might permanently spoil the enjoyment that straight razors can offer if you tried a Feather AC razor too early.

I also don’t see the point of stringing a wire in front of a blade, so I never bothered with ProGuard blades and have always used Professional or Super Pro blades in my Feather ACs.

Just a question, based on the way you describe your problem:
Are you sure that your pre-shave routine is up to snuff?
Part of this routine is to moisten the skin and give it enough water and time to swell so that the hairs can stand up in the follicles and are easier to mow down.

B.

Last edited:
Top Bottom