What's new

Did you regret letting a DE go later on?

I have had many fantastic (and mediocre) razors pass through my den in the last decade, from lowly but excellent techs to Toggles and Rex Ambassadors.

I’ve been exclusively approaching a minimalist approach using the same few razors and 1 soap 1 blade for the last few years. As I’ve pondered over the many razors I’ve bought or borrowed and then passed on I feel regret over only one and that’s the RFB NEW.

Not my British Aristocrats or Gibbs #15, not my BBS 1 or even my Wolfman WR1.

I hastily decided that the RFB NEW while great was not that different from its other siblings and after a few weeks sent it back into the wild. In hindsight I maybe should have held on to it, but I am quite content with what I have kept. (SC NEW, Charcoal Good Lvl 2, Gamechanger .84 OC).

Anyone else have a razor they maybe should have given a second chance?

Shave on!

lasta

Blade Biter
I sold my first Game Changer. Then bought another one a few weeks later!

RFB is a nice razor, and the only one I kept after my long comb journey. But no need to regret, I didn't find the shave much different to a regular LC or Goodwill.

I sold my first Game Changer. Then bought another one a few weeks later!

RFB is a nice razor, and the only one I kept after my long comb journey. But no need to regret, I didn't find the shave much different to a regular LC or Goodwill.
That was exactly my reasoning.

I don't find the RFB that much different compared to the FB NEW and the NEW LC. They are 100% the same, but the difference for me is very small and I could live happily with either one.

The only razor I kinda regret selling is a Parat that I've got quite cheap. Not because it was a fantastic shaver, but because they don't show up quite often and having it in my collection would have been a better option. Other than that, I have no regrets, since I rarely sell any vintage razors and if I'm selling modern one, then it's because I don't like how it shaves and also, because I don't collect modern razors.

Nope. I've sold a few that I never used (some were unused) and never looked back.

My collection is shrinking as I sell and give suff away, but I will always keep most or all of my vintage Gillettes. Not because they are irreplaceable but because most were found for a few bucks each.

If I ever get melancholy about the others I've sold (unlikely) I'll buy another.

I've never sold anything from my shaving gear. Tossed a few things (soaps/creams that were too old or too unused) but have all my razors - 14 now of which 10-11 are in regular rotation. Same with brushes, about 12 now, all in rotation.
If I had kept everything I think it would be about 50 or so vintage and easily 25ish modern. Too many for me, have to cut down to favorites.

Last edited:
Kind of miss the fixed-angle shavers (Henson, Winning) until I remind myself why I got rid of them.
I don't think I've had any regrets on DE razors that I've PIFfed, traded, or sold. I don't miss the Henson + or ++ (way too light and inefficient), but I'm keeping the Winning. The Winning isn't quite as efficient as my more aggressive razors but it still gives me good quality shaves.

I tried the Tatara Masamune for quite a while, probably 60-75 shaves over a few months then sold it. I always felt like it was the one that got away. About a year later I gave it another shot and currently it is my favorite razor. In between the first and second try, I started shaving every day so I think my technique must have improved during that time.

I tried the Tatara Masamune for quite a while, probably 60-75 shaves over a few months then sold it. I always felt like it was the one that got away. About a year later I gave it another shot and currently it is my favorite razor. In between the first and second try, I started shaving every day so I think my technique must have improved during that time.
You're about the fifth person I"ve heard say that it took a while to come around to appreciate the Masamune.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
What I’m getting from this is hoarding shaving gear has no downsides…
I'm far too new to wet shaving to get rid of any of the razors I've purchased. I think it helps that I've found a few people who appreciate the same things I do in a razor. Every razor I've purchased and have used (I have a few I haven't had the time to use yet... shaving every other day stretches the process out a bit) has been great.

I doubt I'll be selling or PIFfing any razors any time soon.

Top Bottom