What's new

did you ever have a " good side"?

hey fellas when you were starting out. ever have one side shave better than the other? im sure its the awkwardness of shifting sides, and then trying to wave a blade around with my left hand. but it just seems like one side goes so much esseas than the other. am i normal ? ,( i mean for just this one thing am i normal lol

Strange as it might seem. Some have reported shaving better with their "off" hand. I guess the extra care taken plays into it. But yes, I have noticed better shave results where my dominate hand was used.

Takes about a week of slow shaving to build muscle memory with the off hand. I've not noticed that one side is easier than the other.

Surprisingly yes, my left side. I use my non-dominant hand to shave it, but for some reason I can always get a little bit closer on that side. Don't ask me why..... I have also had almost every cut I've had with a straight on my left side too.

I'd say you're pretty normal! You will mess up your sideburns and nick your ear a time or two, but you will figure it out! All you can do is take your time and learn a lesson from each shave.

Surprisingly yes, my left side. I use my non-dominant hand to shave it, but for some reason I can always get a little bit closer on that side. Don't ask me why..... I have also had almost every cut I've had with a straight on my left side too.

I'd say you're pretty normal! You will mess up your sideburns and nick your ear a time or two, but you will figure it out! All you can do is take your time and learn a lesson from each shave.
Left is my non dominant hand and also shave closer left, however all my cuts are on the right side. I might only be focused when shaving left, something I need to fix.

Right side with right hand: super
Left side with right hand: the same
Left side with left hand: awkward... feels wrong...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I was dreadful left, but improved a lot by keep going at it. You can manipulate the blade a lot better than trying right hand/left side, also lighter touch at least for me.

There should be no torque or force when stropping

I do not agree.
If there is no force between the razor edge and the leather there will be no friction at all.
And that would be the same as stropping in the air with the razor.
But beginners may start with almost only the weight of the razor before adding some light torque/force.

Yes lifting the blade weight off the strop would result in air stropping, that would be silly.
There is a differnece betweem weight/mass only vs applying force/torque. One is less forceful, but there is still friction.

Yes lifting the blade weight off the strop would result in air stropping, that would be silly.
There is a differnece betweem weight/mass only vs applying force/torque. One is less forceful, but there is still friction.

Yes there need to be force between edge and leather.
There is torques involved when stropping weather we like it or not.

The picture show that the weight of a straight razor will not even make entire edge contact the strop.
When stropping there is actually more than on torque involved.
The first one will turn the blade to contact the strop.

Then the grip on tang actually has an "inbuilt torque" that will turn the edge down to the strop. We can choose to increase this torque slightly. Personally I use a slight "extra" torque.
But I am more carefully with the added torque when stropping narrow blade than wide blade.
Skärmklipp.JPG

Top Bottom