What's new

Did Wahl make the Moore & Evans Wholesale Jewelers pen

I have one of those private labeled pens, a BCHR that aprears to be an early pre-1925 Wahl wide band pin, except that it has a simple crescent rather than a lever for a filler mechanism. I am trying to figure out who made the thing. It is black chased hard rubber with a crescent-style filler and some sort of roller on the end of the gold color clip.

The body is chased with a wave-like pattern and is engraved with "Moore & Evans" and beneath that "Chicago". [Moore & Evans Wholesale Jewelers]

The bottom of the cap has a 16mm wide gold color band with a floral design and on the side just below the clip is an oval area about 10mm tall x 15mm wide for personal engraving (nothing on band's engraving area/Moore & Evans is engraved on the barrel). [the band appears to have the same design as shown in pre-1925 Wahl catalogues]

The crescent is thin (abt 1.5mm thick), 17mm wide where it exits the body slot, and rises about 5mm above the body. There are no designs or other markings on the crescent which is of a silver colored metal.. [no locking ring to keep it from being pressed by accident]

The cap unscrews 1 1/4 turns revealing gold colored nib.. The name MOORE is vertical with the M an R in block letters, the two O's connected like links on a chain, and the E is very rounded ( like a C with a center line). Then horizontally is the word LIFE, below that MANIFLEX, then 14KT at the bottom. The nib hole is heart shaped. [a Wahl made pen with a Moore nib?]

I would think that the unusual clip with the roller on the end might narrow down who made the pen; the clip is plain, Wahl style, with no markings.

Also, I didn't know that anyone other then Conklin made crescent fill pens. I thought maybe someone got creative, removed the lever from a lever fill pen, and fabricated a crescent in the place of the lever -- but there is no sign of the little "fingernail cutout" that would have been at the end of a lever. I suppose one could have converted a Wahl eyedropper pen by cutting the slot, then adding a crescent & pressure bar. (?)

I suppose Wahl may have done the crescent to differentiate it from their own branded pins...but then, why leave the very distinctive roller clip?

So, what it this wierdo?

EuGene Smith

I do not have a scanner, and even if I took a picture with my camera or cell phone, I have never put a picture online and don't know how to do so.

I have seen pictures of them on-line, so I will try to find one and give the link to it.

Standby.

EuGene

OK, I had not thought about doing a copy/paste, so here goes:

proxy.php

• proxy.php

Here are a couple of pictures that I copy/pated off of FleaBag (aka eBay). I also had some more pictures that I googled, but did not get them this time when I Googled Moore & Evans fountain pen. I will keep trying, especially to get a good nib shot.

Smiff

Not only is my pen not such a nice black, but the words "Moore & Evans" and "Chicago" are not filled in with a nice white, so they are more difficult to read than on the pen in the 2nd picture.

Here is another picture to give a better view of the size of the pen.

It is 5 3/4" capped, 5 1/4" uncapped, & 6 7/8" posted.

proxy.php

EuGene

A couple of Boston Pen Co./Wahl Eversharp guys in Little Rock studied the pan and said it was a transition pen from the time when Eversharp bought out the Bpston Pen Co. It was supposedly produced from a Boston crescent fill prototype with their roller clip cap.

Eversharp, a mechanical pencil company, entered the fountain pen market with the purchase of Boston Pen, and used the Boston designs and patents to produce the Wahl pens virtually unchanged, just re-branded. Included early in the merger of the companies were transition pens such as this crescent fill pen which did not continue into production by Wahl Eversharp.

The Wahl collectors went nuts over it when I showed it at a pen club meeting!

Top Bottom