What's new

Did they really shave like us?

So back in 19...say...50, long before the advent of the multiblade razor, did DE shavers shave anything like us? (i.e. multiple passes in various directions), or did they just shave like multiblade shavers shave now (one quick pass + maybe a touch-up)?

(I suspect they shaved more like multibladers than us). Anybody actually know? Was it the multiblades that made shavers lazy, or was this long in the works? Is modern wetshaving really a MODERN invention?

Andre

Well, I started shaving in the mid-60's; of course, Gillette DE's of different types and Shick injectors were about all there were. Colgate foam. These were the days of pre-goo.

Shaves were simple. No internet and no instruction. Wash face, foam up, single pass. A little touch and cut. Rinse face.

Razor burn. Lots of weepers and bleeders. To enhance the razor burn and really make it burn, a painful spash of mostly alcohol aftershave topped it all off.

Thats why I'm not so enamored with the DE type razor; I don't have fond memories of DE shaving --at all. I moved to trac II's and atra's as soon as I could, followed by 10 years of electric shaving, and never looked back until recently.

Todays products, together with knowledge from the fine folks at shaving sites like B&B make all the difference in the world.

I'm still shaving with cartridges for now, but have a DE on the way. Modern knowledge of wet-shaving dramatically improves shaving with the cartridges, too. The twin-blade sensor type cartridges work best.

In answer to your question, most shavers just went zip-zip and were done. There's a reason that Gillette called their product the 'Super Speed'. Wet-shaving as we know it now from B&B was practiced by very few.

-- John Gehman

edited for tipo's ...

Thanks for the answer John.

This shows the difference between knowledge and wisdom; they 'knew' how to shave back then, but they were not using the equipment to its fullest potential.
Now that we can pass on the info as to how, what, and why, we all get much better shaves with some of the same equipment( razors mostly- I would not use that era's blades).

Even when I recall my uncle shaving with a "Fatboy", I don't remember him doing more than one pass.

Marty

I can't imagine that "back in the day" many men tolerated razor burn, nicks, stubble and mayhem.

I've been DE shaving for most of my shaving life (about 30 years now; I'm 44). Sure, I've had various forays into Atra|M3 territory; even tried an electric Braun for a while.

There's just no way to get a good shave without multiple passes, with and against the grain. So I contend that, much like today, there were some men who shaved exactly as we do today, there were some that did one pass as called it at that, and some just didn't care.

I also think it was perhaps more common pre WW2 for men to have a shave at the barbershop - I dimly remember this happening when I was a little kid (not to me, of course).

Whici is why I find it INTERESTING that whenever we get on a roll against Gillette, we always say that multiblade shaving was some sort of conspiracy drummed up by G for financial reasons - they wanted more money, so they changed the rules of the game.

I think evidence better suggests that people had long since gotten tired of DE shaving (for whatever reason), and G was just providing a better (and at the time it really was, apparently) solution for men.

That's my take, anyway.

Andre

Great post John. I have talked to friends, relatives older than myself about DE shaving. Nearly all recalled it with quite negative memories. Also, none of them have kept up with the razor wars. Most are still shaving with Atras and Sensors which are still readily available, and mostly inexpensive and easy shavers too. I don't know anyone over 25 shaving with a Fusion personally.

Dennis

Andre said:
So back in 19...say...50, long before the advent of the multiblade razor, did DE shavers shave anything like us? (i.e. multiple passes in various directions), or did they just shave like multiblade shavers shave now (one quick pass + maybe a touch-up)?

(I suspect they shaved more like multibladers than us). Anybody actually know? Was it the multiblades that made shavers lazy, or was this long in the works? Is modern wetshaving really a MODERN invention?

Andre
Coming in at the end of that particular decade for shaving, I did a two pass with an occassional touch up pass.. Loved my Yardley's shaving soap too.

When I first started DE shaving I used to do one pass with a T&C and was pretty happy with the results, this was around 18 years ago. My barber actually instructed me to only lather once then use water for the T&C.

I started shaving with a Gillette DE in 1961 and as best I can remember did just one pass with foam and a touch up with water. When in Vietnam I still had my Gillette DE and there were many times that I had to use USMC issued soap. This certainly was not the best for shaving and made for a real treat. Imagine shaving using a helmet as a sink, filled with cold water, GI soap lathered by hand, and a small metal mirror. Later when the injector (Wilkinson Sword) became popular I switched to it and then to the multi blade razors as they came out, two blades, then three, but NEVER four. This is when I switched back to the DE. There were occasions I would migrate to an electric for a short period of time but always came back to a razor. Now that I retired and have changed back to the DE, I have more time in the morning so the one pass with the DE I started with, has turned into 3-4 passes in order to get the best shave possible. Even though I have been shaving for many years, after learning from this forum, now for the first time in my life, I actually enjoy shaving.

I'm with Gundog. Overseas in the Military, field-shaving could be (and generally was) an adventure in itself. I mentioned GI field-shaving in my intro post when delurking here at B&B.

View attachment $shoot.gif

Remembrances of that experience gives you some perspective --and you know, life is pretty good these days.

:thumbup:

-- John Gehman

It would be interesting to document from barbers and older gentlemen what shaving was like back in the day. What equipment they used and how they used it.

We could learn a lot I imagine in how we could be doing things today.

I started shaving around 1955-56, and there was no information really available except for commercials and ads, and those mostly said simply, "Use our product." I used Old Spice shaving soap and lathered in the soap container. I did two passes, one down, one up (grain? what grain?), with no lather on second pass. I used a couple of squares of toilet paper a day, I think. My dad was no help: he knew no more than I.

It seems to me that it's the Internet and the Web that has allowed shavers to pool their information and communicate the results of their experiments that has led to a great advance in knowledge---and in the availability of the knowledge. This is really the golden age of shaving.

Leisureguy said:
This is really the golden age of shaving.
I agree entirely. My first introduction to a quality shave came a few years back when Mens Health did a special section on mens grooming products. I can recall AOS (then a new brand) being prominently featured. The article closed by saying something along the lines of shaving could be a "therapuetic morning routine". My only thought was "Really? I though it was a painful, blood filled, skin irritating necessity." For some reason however, I was intrigued by the products featured & began doing some research on the Internet. If not for that article & the Net, I would probably still be dreading the morning bloodletting & using Edge shave gel & disposable Bics.

While I agree that the internet has raised awareness of quality shaving, I have to say that my father taught me to always do two passes with a DE. Unfortunately, just about the time he taught me to shave, in '81 or so I think, he went to the dark side and started using an Atra. He was downright ecstatic at having to do only one pass -- he felt that DE shaving was a waste of a good morning, and the Atra was the greatest thing since sliced bread! His loss, my gain -- I still have, and use, his Gillette adjustable DE (though, young and impressionable, I went to the dark side with Dad for awhile). But I think the lesson is that the last generation to regularly shave with DE's was really not all that into it -- the post-war, and the '50s, meant speed and modernization -- foam in a can, electric razors, etc... As soon as that generation was offered something quicker and easier than a DE, they jumped on it.

I used an Atra starting in 1978! Great razor, until I learned about the DE. I remember my dad using a DE, then cartridge razors, and now he's gone electric! But he is happy, and I leave him alone. To me, the appeal of the DE shave with the brush and a quality soap or cream is the "me" time. Shaving is no longer about convenience or speed. It's about spending a set amount of time on myself.

Randy (who just recently picked up a Gillette Sensor)

Did the electric thing untill I was about 21. Then I switched to the Mach3....man that was an improvement. Now the Straight is just plain fun. I got my dad to try a DE but he simply tore up his face and refuses to give up his M3 now....ah well, he's happy so why should I care.

Top Bottom