What's new

Did Superman use Clubman?

After years of shaving with a BIC Metal, my stash of those disposables was running out and I thought that my next move was going to be a simple trip down to the supermarket where I had always purchased them. That was the plan.

Not only didn't my store have any in stock, but I soon found out that BIC had pulled them off of the North American market and made them available only in the Middle East! While trying to decide what to do next, I started looking through all of my "stuff" for that old Gillette adjustable which I hadn't used in over 40 years. Where was that thing? Oh well, I might as well just go buy another!

Obviously I was about to find out that the whole world of shaving had drastically changed since I last scoped it out. Of course I was not about to go off the deep end and start buying into those 4-blade cartridge "systems"---a couple packs of those nearly equals a mortgage payment. It's no wonder people are in such poor financial shape after having to shell out that kind of money just to shave! OK. So I go looking around for another double-edge razor like I used to own. I honestly expected to find all sorts of DE razors in the supermarket... OK, how about the drug store? WalMart? NOTHING at all!

But I did find DE razors online... and soon found this place --- a huge bunch of guys who basically decided not to stick with the Gillette / Schick treadmill that seems intent on getting all of mankind hooked on the idea that more blades per cartridge is the way to go. The research/development folks at those companies are determined to soon sell a cartridge with ten or more blades. What insanity!

-------

It's been a few weeks now... I went and bought a Razorock Mission DE razor, found my old shaving mug and brush... and am getting wonderful CLOSE shaves. Best of all, I am no longer getting any of the extreme irritation that I had gotten completely used to while using disposables. This is nice!

As is my custom to put the cart before the horse, today I just bought a nice little bottle of hot sauce.... in order to decant some after shave (which I haven't yet even decided upon which brand to get.) I know I'll probably go for Pinaud Clubman --- the stuff is buried within my olfactory memory cells. All those visits to the barber shop just in order to read the huge collection of Superman comics back when I was a boy... deeply inhaling those Clubman fumes...

I think I'm going to paste this picture on my new hot sauce bottle:

$tumblr_lfulda0BCs1qzlfumo1_500.gif

Does anyone really doubt that Clark Kent was a Clubman kinda guy?

Oh.... and HELLO everyone!

Thank you. I'm wondering about all those books in the bookcases and the magazines on the rack---are they all about shaving? This place definitely looks like a high school library (during summer vacation.) BTW... nice rack!

Thanks for a truly great post. Superman shaved with a straight razor and used witch hazel for after shave. You find him in the straight razor sub form, but he uses a taken name. One warning though you can enter there whenever you like, you're always welcome, but you can never leave.

The straight razor that has been sitting in my top drawer for most of my life (along with various political buttons, scouting memorabilia, mysterious keys, single shoelaces, and military insignia) would not likely serve to gain my admission to the straight razor sub-forum. The simple truth is that I never had any real intention to use that straight razor. Sharpening things has never been my strong suit. I somehow manage my deficiency in the kitchen and shop, but the very idea of putting a straight razor (which I had personally sharpened) up in the vicinity of my head... would only happen if I were intent on slitting my throat... and I even doubt if my straight razor ever got sharp enough to perform that one final chore. My failure in the sharpening arts is not due to a lock of proper tools: I've got files, strops, ceramic rods, stones from Bill Clinton's home state, and guides of all types.

In a nutshell, I am death to any type of edged tool --- including mower blades, chain saws, and knives.

$Blade sharpening_010.jpg

In my defense, I'll point out that my letter opener is in pretty fair shape. The only real break I've ever got has been in the area of wood chisels and hand plane irons --- and I am grateful for this since I am quite fond of working wood.

A nice fat package of neatly wrapped double edged razor blades --- honed to perfection by others --- is exactly what I need in the shaving area.

Sir that isn't an answer in a thread that's literature! I often feel hampered by not being able to be as exact as I wish in my answers due to the fact that English isn't my first language. Language is as much culture as it's words and hence being able to be exact is important. Still I'm good enough at it to be able to enjoy a the masterpiece regardless of if its made by a straight razors smith or a word smith who has no experiences of the first mentioned.
Kind regards
Polarbeard

Notice how the Man of Steel carefully chooses his medicine cabinet -- an old style that contains a small slot in the back wall in which he can dispose of his double edge razor blades. Unlike us, he can use his x-ray vision to check on how high the pile of old blades is getting between the wall studs. As we know, he goes through a lot of blades on that tough beard. No fancy decorative lighting fixtures either for Superman -- a single 60-watt bare bulb serves his modest needs.

You can tell that when he went to the store to buy some paint for the bathroom he asked the clerk, "Got anything in a nice tint of Krypton? Really though, he should let Lois Lane choose a new shower curtain. I'll bet Superman goes through a ton of washers when he tightens down those old double faucets.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Welcome; It would be great if you find your Gillette adjustable! But you may have to move on which is okay.

If his blades were made of Kryptonite, he'd probably faint in the bathroom. He does needs to make sure that Lex Luthor doesn't sneak some Kryptonite into one of his green after shave products:

$SProdukt_1664200843_d.jpg

Top Bottom