What's new

Did our fathers have more than one razor?

So far as I know, he had only one mug, one brand of soap, one brush, one razor, and some modest supply of blades. There was nothing special or collectible about DE shaving. It was the norm of the time. He had one razor just like cartridge users have one "shaving system".

This about sums it up.

My dad, born 1919, used one razor, a Gem Micromatic Open Comb, for his whole shaving life. His kit was a milk glass mug with Williams mug shaving soap. In the 1950s, he did change brushes to a Ever Ready C40. The blade was always a Gem Blue Star.

About 1972, I asked him why he used the Gem Micromatic Open Comb and not a newer razor? I got a short simple answer. "No other razor gives me as smooth or close a shave."

He died in 1999. The morning before he died, he used his Gem Micromatic Open Comb.

Wow! That's amazing - so many years the SAME razor! Do you have it? Pics?? That's awesome :thumbup1:

Born in 1973 (T1 model here) and can recall a crusty old relic in the medicine cabinet. Thinking back I believe it was a Krona. But from my memory it never moved. Dad had moved on to twins and I believe Bic disposables.

Dad used a Shick injector till he couldn't get refills any longer, and then switched to Wilkinson Sword bonded blades.. Used the same wooden bowl filled with Old Spice and butterscotch flat-top badger brush everyday as long as I could remember. I still have the brush..

When my late dad was a wet shaver between 1955 and 1985 before going electric there was no shaving geeks, it was just shaving nothing more nothing less.

One type of lather cream in a metal tube, one boar brush, one Gillette slim twist and a splash of Aqua Velva. Ah ye a tuck of blades lasted him month on end which might explain the Japanese flags show on Friday night.

My dad was an early Remington guy - cream plastic - he had one when I was a kid and I'm nearly 60 now!! He kept what I now know was a Fatboy for travel (indeed I remember using it once or twice) but it was used only if necessary. Sadly I don't know what happened to it.

I inherited both of my father's razors after he passed away. At some point he picked up a Slim Adjustable, but he didn't care for that razor. His daily driver was an unbranded psycho razor he got from the mental hospital where he worked for over 30 years. It was a razor they gave to patients, and it had a locking head so they couldn't get the blade out. I suspect he used that razor for around 50 years!

I also inherited my grandfather's razor, which was a 1955 (A4) Red Tip.

So far as I know, he had only one mug, one brand of soap, one brush, one razor, and some modest supply of blades. There was nothing special or collectible about DE shaving. It was the norm of the time. He had one razor just like cartridge users have one "shaving system".

My dad used a 1955 Flaretip with Lemon/Lime Foamy until the Trac-II came out then he switched to it. Back then you used what your local market or drugstore sold.

Clayton

As far as I remember when I was in Poland, at the time I was still in the single digits, early 90s late 80s electric razors were what it was all about, so much so that my grandfather still uses them, I don't know what my dad uses though.

Electrics work really well now. I've used the Newer Brauns, and Philips/Norelco's and to be honest I can get a smooth irritation free shave from them everytime. Wetshaving is just more relaxing, and enjoyable.

Clayton

My father never used anything besides disposable Bics and Gillette Good News from the time I was born till he died. Can of foam, or rubbed a bar of bath soap on his face if he ran out of foam. Brush? Not highly likely!

Men in the past used a razor to make their face ready to face the day, then went to work so they could feed their families. A razor to them was a functional piece of refined metal, nothing more. This idea of RAD/SAD, and all the other collector ailments is a very new thing. We have a hundred years of shaving products, time and money to burn so we can indulge ourselves as generations before us couldn't even imagine.

Did you have more than one cartridge razor before starting wetshaving? I only had one, it was just a razor. Not these blasted things that I invest so much time reading about and buying various soaps, blades, and accompanying aftershaves for. While I love DE shaving, I sometimes wish I could return to thinking about it as just shaving...that sounds odd. I'm going to go apologize to my shave gear now. :blushing:

In the early 60's my Dad gave me all of his wet shaving gear to get me started. There was a fatboy, a Schick injector, an Old Spice mug, a crooked old brush, and a collection of Seaforth and Old Spice aftershaves. Dad used electrics exclusively, and owned at least 3 or 4 different progressions of electrics, up to his Remington which he used for years In the 70's he moved onto Norelcos. He always used 'lectric shave and Skin Bracer. My mother and two older sisters also had a collection of razors, but I never paid much attention to them--the idea that they shaved their legs and underarms with them was really gross!

My dad had one and some nasty foam in a can. He made fun of me for buying into the propaganda of the razor companies when I came of age and bought a cartridge razor.

Interesting question - I am certain most men had a modest supply of shaving equipment and weren't so fond of shaving as we were - There's a saying in my language that translated to English means "You only value something when you lose it" - Basically meaning that people are used to doing or using certain things that it becomes the norm but once you realize how worse other methods of shaving are you start to value traditional equipment. Shaving with a disposable and canned foam on vacation really reminded me of how awesome my Wilkinson Sword can be.

My dad had a safety razor that he later stopped using, a badger expensive brush and cream - I think he face lathered because I never saw a mug in the bathroom - He then started using what I believe was a Gillette Trac II (All I know is that it was a cartridge with double blades and it was disposable) when it was all fancy and easier to shave, he also used canned foam from time to time but rarely.

I have only ever seen my dad use an electric. I used it when I first started shaving, and hated it. I then moved into various cartridge systems...it's now time to start using DEs instead.

My dad was born in 1926. I remember a mug with a crooked brush in it sitting on the bathroom lavatory and his Fat Boy. Sometimes in the mid-1960s he went the Norelco electric route. I inherited that Fat Boy (not so called at the time) about this time of year in 1969. Remember being horrified that I was told I needed to shave the peach fuzz.

My dad will be 89 on Christmas Eve. He still loves his Norelcos and remains convinced that he can convince me to love them too. Just can't do it. Takes too long, won't shave close enough, and eats my face. Cannot see a thing about an electric that would work well for me.

This is a great thread. My earliest memories of my dad shaving was with a Gillette TTO (an adjustable I think) and a red can of Barbasol. I don't recall ever seeing him use a brush. Later, he went with a Remington electric. When I started to shave he told me I needed to decide if I was going to use an electric or a blade. He gave me a Norelco to start me off, but I just didn't like it. When my mother passed 10 years ago, I found that she had kept a drawer full of his things. Among them was his Remington and a Schick Eversharp Injector. I don't know what happened to the TTO.

Not mine. I now have what was his first razor, a 1964 Slim. He used only that razor into the 1990s, when he switched to carts.

My dad used an electric razor all my life. I have no idea how he can deal with that, I haven't tried one in at least ten years but it was awful and I can't imagine it's gotten much better!

Actually they have gotten pretty crazy dam good. Not good the way we enjoy a wet shave, but not the electric of the seventies for sure.

Top Bottom