What's new

Did my SOC finally die?

I've had a SOG boar brush for 5 years now. Love the brush, even if it is a bit aggressive. Always beat any soap into submission.
Unfortunately, I think it is reaching the end of it's life. Recently it lost a lot of hairs and has gotten wimpy. Doesn't want to make a lather. The bristles that came out are all about the same length as the ones still standing. In other words, they seem to be breaking off at the ferrel, rather than pulling out of the handle.
Time for a new one?
(Always looking for an excuse for a new toy :c9:

Do you have hard water? It could be soap scum on the bristles. You can try cleaning the brush with mild shampoo like baby shampoo. Rinse. Mix a couple of tablespoons of vinegar per cup of warm water. Soak and rinse the brush with this and rinse again with plain water.

Brushes maybe don't last forever, but 5 years seem short.

SOC Boar brushes are famous for eating soap and stop producing lather out of nowhere (there are several references in this and other forums)

It happened to me at the beginning of this year. After 2-3 months of honeymoon and daily use, it simply stopped working and there was no amount of soaking and vinegar and cleaning to make it perform again.

It's a shame because when it performs well, the SOC is one of the very best brushes out there

My 610 did exactly this. I used some warm water and dish soap and there were billowing clouds of residue coming out. I checked all my other brushes and found only one Simpsons with similar issues. I have to try the 610 tomorrow to see if the Mojo is back.
SOC Boar brushes are famous for eating soap and stop producing lather out of nowhere (there are several references in this and other forums)

It happened to me at the beginning of this year. After 2-3 months of honeymoon and daily use, it simply stopped working and there was no amount of soaking and vinegar and cleaning to make it perform again.

It's a shame because when it performs well, the SOC is one of the very best brushes out there

We are on a well. Water can be hard enough to drive nails with at times. Strangely soaps will lather beautifully in spite of that.
I've washed it thoroughly with baby shampoo in the shower. Looks pretty clean. When I looked at the bristles under a magnifying glass, they seem to have a kink in them right at the handle. Might explain the lack of backbone. I donnknow...........

Yes, boar hairs become brittle and break after some time rather than pulling out like badger hair.

SOC wooden handles are nice, so if you are so inclined you could try changing the knot. I've done this a few times without any problems. Or it's time to buy a new brush.

If you have used the brush every day for five years, you got your money's worth. If you are using it as part of a rotation, it should have lasted much longer. It is best to have several brushes and allow them to dry between uses. Boar brushes absorb a lot of water, so it takes a while for them to dry completely.

Soap scum buildup in the base of the knot is a brush killer, so make sure your brushes are cleaned thoroughly after each use. I like to use the "plunger" method by placing my brush in a container of water and rapdily plunge it up and down to force water into the base of the knot to remove residual soap.

If you get hard water soap deposits, a vinegar or citric acid soak periodically will help as others have said.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Any chance of a photo or two so that we can see for ourselves, we loves our photos.

Top Bottom