What's new

Did i ruin my soap

So I stumbled on a bit of info yesterday while reading a review. I have loaded a brush while it was wet in container. Read that not drying moisture could ruin soap. Upon Checking a couple of tubs I notice they are softer overall than when I first opened them. Did I ruin them? If I leave open for awhile will they dry / harden up a bit? Just never read or thought of it before. Any info or tips. Thanks

I don't dry my soaps unless putting them away for awhile. Between daily uses I throw the lid on and get on with it. It is really hard to ruin soap. If I know I won't be using it for awhile I will leave it uncovered for 8-12 hours before putting it away. Don't worry about it and enjoy your shaves.

I rotate soaps, so I will leave them open overnight after shaving (evening shaver) and then put them away. That said, some soaps seem to lather better when retaining a little moisture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
With MdC, which is a little on the soft side to start with, I found closing the tub while the soap was still wet softened it even more. No problem with how the soap worked, but it was easier to load too much soap in that condition.

I have moved away from loading in the tub and extract a 'snurdle' of soap (with a cosmetic spoon) and press it into my lather bowl... this way I never even think about it.

I prefer keeping my soap softer and have done so for years. Never a problem. In fact, if I dry the soap out and I am getting to the end of the soap, it usually shrinks and cracks.

I prefer keeping my soap softer and have done so for years. Never a problem. In fact, if I dry the soap out and I am getting to the end of the soap, it usually shrinks and cracks.

Just to add to acvil's comment I really also prefer to keep some soaps softer. AOS tallow & C&S Valobra soaps really help to have some moisture left over.

Not so much with an L&L or the new Tallow & Steel. I don't even get a brush near those containers at all. Just scoop a dollop out for the shave. They are a bit too soft imo.

I rotate soaps, so I will leave them open overnight after shaving (evening shaver) and then put them away. That said, some soaps seem to lather better when retaining a little moisture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
same here, haven't noticed any ruined soaps yet.

I always let them dry, moisture will create bacteria that leads to mold. This is why some soap makers leave their soaps to dry for months before they sell them. Most soaps are completely dry within a few hours though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Do it like you feel it. Dry soap is harder and can take a beating from a hard brush, but can be difficult to load especially with a softer brush. Softer soaps are easier to pick up with a soft brush, and a wet soap is softer than a dry one. You can always just bloom a dry soap (allow hot water to stand on it for a minute) before using it if it is a bit dry.

With MdC, which is a little on the soft side to start with, I found closing the tub while the soap was still wet softened it even more. No problem with how the soap worked, but it was easier to load too much soap in that condition.

if I rotate tub creams in and out occasionally (I'm acknowledging they need no water at all) I keep an idea of how to moderate my loading with the croaps and soften'd soaps that have taken on a bit of water. Might work for you too!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
if I rotate tub creams in and out occasionally (I'm acknowledging they need no water at all) I keep an idea of how to moderate my loading with the croaps and soften'd soaps that have taken on a bit of water. Might work for you too!

I have found the perfect solution for me - I only use MdC and I never put the top back on the tub.

I have found the perfect solution for me - I only use MdC and I never put the top back on the tub.

There ya go! Brilliant! I might find myself doing as you have lead - after I go through twenty or thirty tubs of different soap I currently have now... I missed you had chosen MdC as a sole workhorse.

Top Bottom