What's new

Did I maltreat my badger 🤔

I fell in love with my new Yaqi Aqua High Mountain Silvertip.
Lathering has entered a new dimension for me.
Looking at it after two shaves, I noticed some hairs sticking out of the brush.
I have not given it any post use treatment, but started using it after airing it for two days.
Did I do something wrong with it?
And if so: should I fix it?
D3563020-1973-41E6-A172-777E98C310A2.jpeg

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Some new badger brushes will shed during/after the first few uses. Some might shed a hair or two for the life of the brush.

It's most likely just a few taller hairs that weren't trimmed during the shaping of the knot or they were just loose when the knot was tied. Nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I found with my Yaqi Silvertip brushes they will shed 2-20 hairs on first cleaning of the brushes I own and after that not much for losing hairs. I figure because the hair is finer(front neck area of the badger) and a lot more hairs than a 24mm 2 band badger it would be hard for bottom glue knot to capture every one. Some one did a calculation on how many hairs are in 24mm brush and there is over 20,000 minimum.
I have bought Yaqi 24mm synthetic brushes and not lose a hair over years but natural fiber hairs is different and a greater skill is needed to set the knot properly also IMO.

I have been combing my badger and boar brushes the day after use. It seems to help a lot with those stray hairs. I go around the brush with the wide comb teeth and then around with the finer spaced teeth. I use a very easy pull.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Yes, I can confirm this is common. My pure badger was still shedding hairs after putting a bunch of uses on it, sucks too, cause the hairs are black on that brush, easy to see in the soap puks! My new silver tipped badger brush, only had 1 or 2 loose hairs when I got it, and so far, I haven't noticed much shedding if at all. But its also a much higher end brush, so that could be why.

You can really see a difference between these two brushes...

Pure Badger Brand New Out Of Box
proxy.php

Pure Badger Knot...
proxy.php

Maseto 2-Band Silver Tipped Badger New Out Of Box...
proxy.php

Maseto Silver Tipped Badger Brush Knot...
proxy.php

Pure Badger Usage Splay...
proxy.php

Maseto Silver Tipped Badger Brush Splay...
proxy.php

Yes, I can confirm this is common. My pure badger was still shedding hairs after putting a bunch of uses on it, sucks too, cause the hairs are black on that brush, easy to see in the soap puks! My new silver tipped badger brush, only had 1 or 2 loose hairs when I got it, and so far, I haven't noticed much shedding if at all. But its also a much higher end brush, so that could be why.

You can really see a difference between these two brushes...

Pure Badger Brand New Out Of Box
proxy.php

Pure Badger Knot...
proxy.php

Maseto 2-Band Silver Tipped Badger New Out Of Box...
proxy.php

Maseto Silver Tipped Badger Brush Knot...
proxy.php

Pure Badger Usage Splay...
proxy.php

Maseto Silver Tipped Badger Brush Splay...
proxy.php
Thank you for the pictures.
I am wondering what my brush will look like in a few weeks.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
It’s been a couple of weeks, what does your brush look like? More like importantly, how are you liking it?

Yes, it would be interesting to see an update after all this time, hopefully his brush is good.

This is the most recent picture that I have of my Maseto brush, taken only a few days ago.

proxy.php

When I dry my brush with a hair dryer, once dry, I switch my hair dryer to cool air mode, and without pulling on the knot, because I am not holding onto the handle, I squeeze the hairs into a ball, to try and maintain the bulb shape, I don't want the hairs to completely splay and fan out completely flat. And thats what my brush looks like now.

I might as well update you on the recent development. I recently ordered a new synthetic brush (my first synthetic brush BTW) from APShaveCo. I had Andrew make me a custom brush, using a premium G5C 24mm brush knot, which he installed into a Blue Lagoon handle for me. This was a very affordable brush, despite it being custom, the brush knot was 16 dollars, and the handle was 11 dollars, came out to like 32 dollars out the door, but I gave him a 2-dollar tip in appreciation as well, so 35 dollars.

My new brush comes from Niagra falls NY, so its going to take awhile to get here, we got a big country! I am really excited to get my new brush, can't wait to see how it lathers. Let me tell you what, my Maseto 30 knot, soaks up lather before you can even whip it! You feel like the brush is trolling you the whole time, and thats cause it it HAHA! You got to use so much more soap then you would think for a huge 30 knot brush, silver tipped badgers love their lather lol.

Top Bottom