What's new

Did I just Buy The Feather AS-D2 Razor? Ooooo, I Think I Did! :D

@LRod -

Thanks for the feedback.

If you can, get both razors and make an informed decision on which to keep. Maybe you keep both for different reasons. Let us know what you get. Just remember when handling the Futur, or any razor, not to grip it on the blade edge.

I myself do not own a Parker Razor, so I cannot comment on it.

Looking forward to hearing what you go with.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know I'm a bit off topic.. and I just love Artist Club single edge razors.... but if I were considering another razor, I'd take a long look at the RazoRock Hawk V3... I have the Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution, as most of you know... it's around $160 with the stand. The Hawk V3 w/ stand is roughly $85. What do you get? A razor whose characteristics can be individualized with a simple blade change... not adjustable on the fly... but something pretty special, in my view. You don't have to try 109 different blades in it... only 9 blades or so fit it... from mild to pretty aggressive.. take your pick.

I have a very tough, old man set of whiskers... and the Claymore Evo makes short work of them... the blades are longer and thicker.... fewer passes, zero blade chatter.

Anyway, something to think about.

Well, I ended up ordering the Parker Variant. After exhaustive research (LOL!), I opted for that one. For now!
I'm sure I'll try others as well as time goes by. And it didn't hurt that I got it new for $48!
For that price, I believe it's a good choice for a first adjustable. Good reviews, a bit milder than the Futur, normal grippy handle + I already have another Parker and I really like them. Supposedly it fixes the flaws that people complain about on the Merkur progress. Comparable to that one but more evolved!
I'll post about it when I receive it next week!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Well, I ended up ordering the Parker Variant. After exhaustive research (LOL!), I opted for that one. For now!
I'm sure I'll try others as well as time goes by. And it didn't hurt that I got it new for $48!
For that price, I believe it's a good choice for a first adjustable. Good reviews, a bit milder than the Futur, normal grippy handle + I already have another Parker and I really like them. Supposedly it fixes the flaws that people complain about on the Merkur progress. Comparable to that one but more evolved!
I'll post about it when I receive it next week!

Congratulations! I know about the Parker Variant, they make some darn good razors. And you are right, you can't do no better price for a brand new adjustable razor, that is amazing! When you get your razor, I wanna see some pictures, so I can give you a well deserved hearted like lol.

But for now, please do go into the options you weighed in, that made you choose the Parker Variant.

Congratulations! I know about the Parker Variant, they make some darn good razors. And you are right, you can't do no better price for a brand new adjustable razor, that is amazing! When you get your razor, I wanna see some pictures, so I can give you a well deserved hearted like lol.

But for now, please do go into the options you weighed in, that made you choose the Parker Variant.
I'll for sure post pictures and a review when I get it!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I know I'm a bit off topic.. and I just love Artist Club single edge razors.... but if I were considering another razor, I'd take a long look at the RazoRock Hawk V3... I have the Executive Shaving Co. Claymore Evolution, as most of you know... it's around $160 with the stand. The Hawk V3 w/ stand is roughly $85. What do you get? A razor whose characteristics can be individualized with a simple blade change... not adjustable on the fly... but something pretty special, in my view. You don't have to try 109 different blades in it... only 9 blades or so fit it... from mild to pretty aggressive.. take your pick.

I have a very tough, old man set of whiskers... and the Claymore Evo makes short work of them... the blades are longer and thicker.... fewer passes, zero blade chatter.

Anyway, something to think about.

Yes, there are so many good rabbit holes!

I don't have any of the razors mentioned. Also, I'm not currently using the AC platform, but it's a good blade to use.

Hawk.AC.SS.DLC.640.8-12-18.JPG

My Hawk is the older SS DLC model. I like it very much and agree with your AC platform comments.

General.640.7-18.JPG

ATT.SE2,SE1baseplate,640.7-29-18.JPG

The Colonial General (mine is the original) and the ATT SE AC razors are also very good. (The OC ATT SE2 is a bit much for most people, but some love it.)

Probably I'd keep the Hawk is I could keep just one, but maybe not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I just broke down and ordered the Pearl Flexi (latest version). Another adjustable that's similar to the Rex. I Read about it and liked it!
So the competition for me will be between the Parker Variant and the Pearl Flexi. I've left behind the urge of buying the Merkur Futur or Progress. The two I've bought seem to be what I would be happy with. Both should be here by next week so we'll see!
Regardless, I'll be keeping both. I'm sure they both have good qualities!

The Pearl:

Pearl.jpg

The Parker:

Variant.jpg

Yes, if I use a fresh blade, I can get a pretty amazing BBS shave in places, and I can get a DFS everywhere else. The AS-D2 is most certainly capable of doing it with a fresh blade, no doubt there. But it does take some times getting through my course hair, on 2-day stubble of course. But the blade is dull on the 3rd shave though for me.

I actually have a total of 8-shaves on the razor by now, and I have only gone through two blades with it. In the beginning I used to do a 3-pass shave as I was taught. But I quickly discovered that I am not good at doing XTG, especially on my neck, XTG is where perhaps my technique isn't that good.

However, WTG, and ATG, my technique is pretty good, I've learned not to screw up my angle as I move the razor, and like I said, I learned a lot from watching GeoFatBoy, even using this very razor infact! I know I'm not the only one on this site who thinks the AS-D2 is too mild.

But don't get me wrong, its not a bad razor, never said it was. I still love my Feather AS-D2 razor, but, I just want more you know? So, I am going to put it aside for now, and the Rex Ambassador is supposed to come tomorrow, and I will be starting off April with my very first April 1rst shave of the year, with the Rex Ambassador. :)
I only get two shaves out a Feather DE blade no matter what razor I use. I get three shaves out of the Astra SP in all the razors I have, including the AS-D2. I think other people who get more shaves out a of Feather blade may have less sensitive skin or softer whiskers to shave off.

I think you were at a disadvantage by starting with the AS-D2 instead of getting more experience with other razors before you came to the AS-D2. I have read that people who initially used the AS-D2 and were not impressed by the performance, came back a year or more later and found it worked better for them (same razor, same blade, etc). I had been DE shaving for more than a decade (and using shaving brushes/soaps for longer than that) and had shaved with injector razors, DE shavettes and Artist Club style barber razors before I bought the AS-D2. I have learned (and still am learning) the nuances of angles, face prep and lather. I think that if you keep honing your shaving technique that some time in the future, you may find that the AS-D2 will be more efficient for you than it is currently.

You will find similar advice in the threads discussing the Muhle R41 as well.

Enjoy the journey!

Happy shaving! 🙂

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I only get two shaves out a Feather DE blade no matter what razor I use. I get three shaves out of the Astra SP in all the razors I have, including the AS-D2. I think other people who get more shaves out a of Feather blade may have less sensitive skin or softer whiskers to shave off.

I think you were at a disadvantage by starting with the AS-D2 instead of getting more experience with other razors before you came to the AS-D2. I have read that people who initially used the AS-D2 and were not impressed by the performance, came back a year or more later and found it worked better for them (same razor, same blade, etc). I had been DE shaving for more than a decade (and using shaving brushes/soaps for longer than that) and had shaved with injector razors, DE shavettes and Artist Club style barber razors before I bought the AS-D2. I have learned (and still am learning) the nuances of angles, face prep and lather. I think that if you keep honing your shaving technique that some time in the future, you may find that the AS-D2 will be more efficient for you than it is currently.

You will find similar advice in the threads discussing the Muhle R41 as well.

Enjoy the journey!

Happy shaving! 🙂

Thank you Goodshave for your previous experience information. We all learn different things over time. Some go through 20-razors till they find their winner winner chicken dinner. I am lucky that I found my winner after the 2nd try.

The Rex Ambassador and I, are getting along nicely, so I am going to stick with that.

@LRod -

Thanks for the feedback.

If you can, get both razors and make an informed decision on which to keep. Maybe you keep both for different reasons. Let us know what you get. Just remember when handling the Futur, or any razor, not to grip it on the blade edge.

I myself do not own a Parker Razor, so I cannot comment on it.

Looking forward to hearing what you go with.
Well, I ordered a Futur today even though I already have the Pearl Flexi and the Parker Variant. I got it for a good price so I couldn't say no. In the end, I can keep or sell any of them (even though I never sell anything, LOL!!). I absolutely love the Pearl (it's pretty much perfect) so we'll see how the Futur compares when it arrives. It'll be a couple weeks because it's coming from the UK. I shave daily so I'll do a 3 day shave-off when it arrives comparing all 3.

Top Bottom