What's new

Did I just Buy The Feather AS-D2 Razor? Ooooo, I Think I Did! :D

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'd call them and ask... it sure sounds and looks like you got a defective razor. I'm sure they'll take care of you. That's a heck of a price to pay for something that doesn't clamp the DE blade in symmetrically.
+1 on this.

Looking at the first picture, it looks like the cap and blade are more or less aligned but the plate isn't.
Most likely this means the cap and plate don't interlock properly through the two tabs.
If they did lock, this type of misalignment would be impossible.

Here is the way I assemble a three piece razor with tabs like these, to avoid such issues.
First insert the blade into the cap with the cap facing down and the blade up. It is obviously essential that the blade locks into the two tabs, just make sure it doesn't pop back out.
Next step is to place the plate onto the cap/blade, hereby making sure that the tabs also lock into the plate.
When they align, it makes sense to keep pressure on the cap/blade/freeze "sandwich" with thumb and index finger, and to then screw on the handle. Tighten it up until it stops with the ever so slightest two-finger pressure, that's enough.

As to the cuts/nicks/weepers, that alignment issue may be a possible cause because it would also affect the blade gap.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Looking at the first picture, it looks like the cap and blade are more or less aligned but the plate isn't.
Most likely this means the cap and plate don't interlock properly through the two tabs.
If they did lock, this type of misalignment would be impossible.

Here is the way I assemble a three piece razor with tabs like these, to avoid such issues.
First insert the blade into the cap with the cap facing down and the blade up. It is obviously essential that the blade locks into the two tabs, just make sure it doesn't pop back out.
Next step is to place the plate onto the cap/blade, hereby making sure that the tabs also lock into the plate.
When they align, it makes sense to keep pressure on the cap/blade/freeze "sandwich" with thumb and index finger, and to then screw on the handle. Tighten it up until it stops with the ever so slightest two-finger pressure, that's enough.

As to the cuts/nicks/weepers, that alignment issue may be a possible cause because it would also affect the blade gap.

Thank you for the advice. I pretty much do this very thing, but I will be double checking to insure that I do it exactly right in the way you suggest. It does seem that these 3-piece razors are a bit tricky, but is obviously doable. I know that a lot of beginners get into the butterfly razors, you might ask, why didn't I? Well, I looked into them, and discovered that the butterfly mechanism wears out eventually, and doesn't want to align properly once closed, I was trying to get away from that BS.

That was one of the many reasons why I chose Feather. And don't get me wrong, I still love my Feather! But at the same time, I am having to learn new things as I go. Everything don't happen overnight, its a process. And I am soaking up as much knowledge as I can from you all.

I'm surprised (and perhaps skeptical) that some persons are claiming blade alignment problems on their Feather AS-D2 razor.

That is not expected or normal on an expensive razor. Feather has a solid reputation for close tolerances and fine machining.
I just got one and the blade alignment is off a tad between both sides. I am surprised by that as well. Tried a few different blades and they all exhibit this phenomenon. I will be returning it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Well, I just did another shave today, but this shave was after 2-day stubble. I did a WTG, XTG, and ATG shave. I used all the same products, cause its all I have right now, nothing has changed there. What has changed is, I remembered to wash my face prior to shaving finally. I know, a miracle! 😁

But I have to say guys, I thick course hair is densely populated, and man is it hard to tame. Plus, I have a few tiny moles and I am always knicking them, so its pretty hard for me to shave without knicks. And who knows, the blade might be starting to get dull IDK.

Again, when your new to DE shaving, having never done it before in your life, your going to be building on the experiences for the first time. And one of those things your not going to know, is how many shaves can I get out of a blade. Who knows, I am slowly figuring it out I guess.

But, despite the 2-day stubble requiring me to make many more passes to get the job done, I got it done. I achieved a DFS everywhere, with a BBS shave in spots. And with my kind of course dense hair, I think thats the best I can hope for. Achieving for perfection I feel is what you call diminishing returns.

But overall it was a nice shave, despite knicking myself in places. I don't have one of those big fat crayon like pencils you use for cuts. I can never remember the name of them. But, if I get the alum block next month, that should take care of that business I believe anyways so ya lol.

My review of the Feather razor is that it does provide an easier shave if you daily shave, but it will handle a 2-day stubble. Of course, that also depends right, cause not everybody grows hair at the same rate! Some people's 2-day stubble looks like 3-days for me. lol

And then you got some folks who grow hardly any hair on their face, and they can save with single passes. Oh how I envy them lol. Next month I am going to be upping my game guys, going to get me a Captains Choice deluxe shaving bowl, thats right, I will be getting the big one. hehe

And I ordered a new shaving brush, a Maseto Avatar silver tipped 30mm knott, 59mm loft, higher end brush, that will more then likely perform far better then my current pure badger brush. I don't really think there is much more that I can say about this razor. I think I pretty much covered it all.

Yes, some of us arn't getting perfect Feather AS D-2's, some of us have Feather's that are a bit off. But if you can apply the little trick to straighten the blade while tightening down the handle, you will be good to go. Although, I understand why some of you choose to return yours.

But if I were to return mine, it would take twice as long to get a replacement from Feather, if not 3 times, if it comes directly imported from Japan. I am not waiting that long for a Razor. Yes, I know I am waiting that long or more for my new brush, but thats different.

I have a brush right now! If I send my razor away, I got no DE razor, my world will end, and the angels will cry, and I will shed tears of diamonds out the windows of my soul in horror. 🤣 No, the razor stays here. Anyways, if any of you get your own Feather's, please post about them, I want to read your posts and look at your pretty pictures. 😍

Don't malign my discovery and message as 'blaming my tools,' please.
What he has shown you is the problem. The pictures look to accurately portray the different gap. There is a difference that is very noticeable when shaving. I don't care what process you use to manufacture the pieces ... if they don't fit accurately and precisely, it's a problem. Please note: there is a difference between accurate and precise.

It is as if the slop of the cap has no check. The cap will even seat to one side without a blade, as well. The cap will not always seat in the same position when tightening and will shift to the side. There is really nothing centering the cap to the base except the curvature of said cap. Add the slop around the threads and the result is less than accurate. Nothing else on that cap or base is used to index any positioning. I could usually get mine to align after 3-5 attempts sometimes when applying correcting force. I have seen no other razor that would fail to align properly.

After trying to find any other source reporting an alignment issue, I chalked mine up as a one off defective and returned it. For a similar monetary outlay, I saw the Tatara line (designed by engineers) with a far superior clamping/cap/base alignment and jumped on it. It is truly accurate and precise.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, I just did another shave today, but this shave was after 2-day stubble. I did a WTG, XTG, and ATG shave. I used all the same products, cause its all I have right now, nothing has changed there. What has changed is, I remembered to wash my face prior to shaving finally. I know, a miracle! 😁

But I have to say guys, I thick course hair is densely populated, and man is it hard to tame. Plus, I have a few tiny moles and I am always knicking them, so its pretty hard for me to shave without knicks. And who knows, the blade might be starting to get dull IDK.

Again, when your new to DE shaving, having never done it before in your life, your going to be building on the experiences for the first time. And one of those things your not going to know, is how many shaves can I get out of a blade. Who knows, I am slowly figuring it out I guess.

But, despite the 2-day stubble requiring me to make many more passes to get the job done, I got it done. I achieved a DFS everywhere, with a BBS shave in spots. And with my kind of course dense hair, I think thats the best I can hope for. Achieving for perfection I feel is what you call diminishing returns.

But overall it was a nice shave, despite knicking myself in places. I don't have one of those big fat crayon like pencils you use for cuts. I can never remember the name of them. But, if I get the alum block next month, that should take care of that business I believe anyways so ya lol.

My review of the Feather razor is that it does provide an easier shave if you daily shave, but it will handle a 2-day stubble. Of course, that also depends right, cause not everybody grows hair at the same rate! Some people's 2-day stubble looks like 3-days for me. lol

And then you got some folks who grow hardly any hair on their face, and they can save with single passes. Oh how I envy them lol. Next month I am going to be upping my game guys, going to get me a Captains Choice deluxe shaving bowl, thats right, I will be getting the big one. hehe

And I ordered a new shaving brush, a Maseto Avatar silver tipped 30mm knott, 59mm loft, higher end brush, that will more then likely perform far better then my current pure badger brush. I don't really think there is much more that I can say about this razor. I think I pretty much covered it all.

Yes, some of us arn't getting perfect Feather AS D-2's, some of us have Feather's that are a bit off. But if you can apply the little trick to straighten the blade while tightening down the handle, you will be good to go. Although, I understand why some of you choose to return yours.

But if I were to return mine, it would take twice as long to get a replacement from Feather, if not 3 times, if it comes directly imported from Japan. I am not waiting that long for a Razor. Yes, I know I am waiting that long or more for my new brush, but thats different.

I have a brush right now! If I send my razor away, I got no DE razor, my world will end, and the angels will cry, and I will shed tears of diamonds out the windows of my soul in horror. 🤣 No, the razor stays here. Anyways, if any of you get your own Feather's, please post about them, I want to read your posts and look at your pretty pictures. 😍
You can do what you want, of course. But you could get a cheap razor from The Italian Barber for $10 and someone said, it's on sale now for $4.99... a Gillette Tech knock off... to hold you over until you get a replacement Feather.... I can tell you, that's what I'd do.... you spent a small forrtune for a high end razor... that's what you should have.. not something with manufacturing defects, if that's what this is.

I wish other Feather owners would show up and add more comments. I have no personal experience with one. If you put the blade in.. with the slots lined up... in other words, do things properly... the blade exposure should be the same, side to side.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I went back and looked at the instructions posted in this thread (I don’t have this razor)and it does appear to have two interior tabs that go thru the blade and hit the top cap. Theoretically this should keep the blade locked in place tight and correct. In the past with other razors the only time I had a blade position issue was when I loaded it wrong not on the tab (or whatever that thing is called) when tightening I heard a loud pop and I knew right away to reset.
Assuming the seller (vendor) has inventory I don’t see why you can’t return it and then they ship a new one without waiting weeks for one to come from Japan. The IB suggestion from @Phoenixkh is spot on. Even without the flash sale getting say a lupo as a backup is a great idea and who seriously can have just one razor?
Not to be an enabler for rad but you have already bought a new brush, so…😁

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hey guys, hope your doing well!

I was doing some research and realized I forgot something that I was taught about Feather blades. I have had a couple people tell me that Feather blades, while very sharp at first, only last for a couple of uses, and then there done. I forgot about this. So I believe my newest issue with my shaves, is I just shaved with a bit of a dull blade on my last shave, oops. I mean, it still cut the hairs for the most part, but it was a bit slow going at it, and it also cut me too lol.

So, after doing research, I re-learned that Feather blades don't last longer then a couple uses on course hair like I have. So ya, I feel like such a dummy, that explains why the 3rd shave was going a bit wonky. I need to stop being ridiculous trying to get as many shaves out of one blade as possible. Reality is, I have 54 more right now, and I will be buying 50 more next month, so ya lol. Truth is, we all got to learn that lesson, just don't push it, your face will thank you.

Another thing, Today I ended up getting some finances in order, paid off my outstanding credit yay! And after I did that, I had some money left for the rest of the month, and it was just enough to get what I wanted. Do you think I was going to leave that money there? Heck no! Ima gonna spend it on shaving supplies, yes sir! 😁 So look what I am getting early guys, before next month roles in. You guys already know about the brush purchase, the Maseto Avatar 30 knott.

(1) Captain's Choice Large Lather Bowl - Cobalt​

(2) Proraso Shaving Soap Bowl - Moisturizing & Nourishing (Red)

(3) Omega Alum Stick

(4) Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand

Woohoo, that now makes a total of 385 dollars spent in 1 month for shaving razor and supplies. I am deep in the rabbit hole now guys. But hmm, I do really need to quit for awhile, seriously. Enjoy what I have. That is the wise part of my brain saying that. While the other part of my brain is laughing its butt off right now. 🤣

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sounds great congrats and enjoy your new items. It’s exciting to purchase and now wait for all the goodie’s to come in.

I’ve only used feather blades a few times but I think it’s quite surprising to hear they are only good for 3 shaves. That doesn’t seem plausible.

Sounds great congrats and enjoy your new items. It’s exciting to purchase and now wait for all the goodie’s to come in.

I’ve only used feather blades a few times but I think it’s quite surprising to hear they are only good for 3 shaves. That doesn’t seem plausible.
I agree.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been told I can get 10 to 12 shaves out of my Feather Artist Club single edge blades... but I was on my 6th shave today, and it felt a little dull. I have old man, grey whiskers... and they are tough. I also plowed through 4 days growth which I'm sure didn't help.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Boy I tell ya, I sure do smell better since joining this hobby. Combinations of Tabac soap, and PAA Cold Spices Star Jelly, I've become the embodiment of an air freshener, every room suddenly smells better after I have been in it.

I have great news for you guys. I so did the right thing of changing out my razor blade. While it is indeed true, a fresh Feather blade, does allow me to knick my moles without question causing them to bleed, kind of no way of getting around that, but the new blade made a big difference to my shave today. This was another 2-day stubble shave.

Truth is guys, I am really trying to save on water, I am in a unique situation over here that I am not going to get into, suffice to say, saving on water just makes sense for me. So instead of doing daily shaves, I am doing once every two days shaves, which means I have a bit of stubble for sure. But if you think about it, this also helps me to extend my razor blades per uses.

So, today I gave myself a combination of a DFS, and a BBS shave, and I did it, without killing my moostash area, no knicks that I could see! Now, I could have done a little more on my bottom chin area, I can only feel the hairs if I rub ATG, but WTG is smooth. But overall I am very happy with the shave, and I just feel so good after!

Because I only knicked the moles, but didn't do anymore damages, this is why I am rating this shave, for the very first reaching this score, a solid 8 out of 10. IMO, changing the blade to a new one made a considerable difference. I also did my best to maintain my angle, and use no pressure. Those new Feather blades are sharp dudes! WOW!

PS: This was a WTG, and ATG shave.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I also plowed through 4 days growth which I'm sure didn't help.
Would that make any substantial difference? You are still only cutting each hair once, not four times. I would expect my Feather Artist Club DX to remove six months beard growth with a single stroke, in the same way as it would a single days growth.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Would that make any substantial difference? You are still only cutting each hair once, not four times. I would expect my Feather Artist Club DX to remove six months beard growth with a single stroke, in the same way as it would a single days growth.

Please post your profile picture here with that beautiful assortment so I can give it a like! I had a look at your profile pic, and all I can say is, that assortment is delicious. I guess what makes the Feather Artist Club DX different is it has an open comb?

Open comb is most certainly designed to handle longer stubble hairs without clogging. Where as the Feather AS-D2, which has no open comb, just 3-sloted holes, gotta rinse after a pass or two. Which I don't mind.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Please post your profile picture here with that beautiful assortment so I can give it a like! I had a look at your profile pic, and all I can say is, that assortment is delicious. I guess what makes the Feather Artist Club DX different is it has an open comb?

Open comb is most certainly designed to handle longer stubble hairs without clogging. Where as the Feather AS-D2, which has no open comb, just 3-sloted holes, gotta rinse after a pass or two. Which I don't mind.
Certainly, here you go, Shulton Old Spice soap, Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian, Rotbart RFB, and Shulton Blue Stratos.

20220117_084818.jpg

The gentleman above was discussing Feather Artist Club single edge blades which are used in the DX razor and others, here is mine:

20220201_143125.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You're probably right... what do i know? Probably just a perception thing on my part... thx for pointing that out.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You mentioned wanting some Feather pictures.

11-26-18.FeatherBR.Kit.640.JPG

Feather.Kit.640.6-22-18.JPG

FeatherSS.Wine.New.640.9-4-18.JPG

Not that I use any of them right now. (And, I've never used the non-folding pink wine handled SS, but I still like it.)

The brush in the picture on the left is what used to be my duplicate Maseto three band. The little white brush in the middle photo is my Omega Mighty Midget, a wonderful once broken in $7 boar, to which I added three #13 O-Rings.

The injector is my open to clean E-2 Schick. A great razor. At one time it was my favorite safety razor.

1648237411098.png

A good styptic pencil is a handy thing to have around. I bought three at a time on Amazon which would probably be a lifetime supply for many gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Alright guys, my latest shaving gear came in. And next month, gotta order more shaving supplies. Gotta keep myself stocked up!
Perfecto Deluxe Razor & Brush Stand

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

A nice razor & brush stand that didn't cost an arm and a leg!

Captains Choice Large Shaving Lather Bowl

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Such a lovely bowl, hand made too! Ohhhhh, I think I'm going to like this!

Prorasso Sandlewood Shaving Soap, mmm smells good!

proxy.php

Omega Alum Stick

proxy.php

And here is the latest picture of my shave den collection as it is thus far!

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Alright guys, last report for this thread, because soon the Rex Ambassador is going to take up my interest. Thank goodness!

Just like clockwork, once again, after the 3rd shave on a Feather blade, in my Feather AS-D2 razor, shave goes to garbage real fast. It intentionally leaves hairs for no reason, and makes me have to go over the same spot a millions times, and yet still not get it perfect, but just far enough to knick myself, requiring the alum stick. I'll be super pleased to put this Feather in its box storage for awhile, I can tell you that.

Once that Rex Ambassador gets here, its going to take priority on the razor stand, just saying.

OK, so a couple of new things I feel the need to discuss here. Lets begin with the most interesting thing first, well, at least, it is to me. The Captains Choice large bowl. Oh yes! Finally! Praise the Gods for I have been saved! Do you know how much of a handicap I had? Do you know how hard it is to whip up a lather within the shave soap puck itself? Well, thats what I've been doing all previous shaves, cause I had no bowl!

The Captains Choice lather bowl, makes a huge difference in performance, of whipping up a lather, hands down! I tell you, that bowl makes me civilized. I can't tell you how pleased I was, watching as the lather was whipping up so good in the bowl, just like how GeoFatBoy does it, woohoo! I tell you something else, if you enjoy ASMR, lather whipping up sounds are awesome HEHE.

Now the next thing, Prorasso Sandlewood Shave Soap. This stuff smells good, and its what I chose to use for my shave today. And wouldn't you know it, I forgot to bloom the soap first. But you know what? It didn't matter! I just transferred a little water from the brush into the puck, began gathering some soap for several seconds, then I transferred to the Captains Choice bowl, and went to town whipping up that lather.

Prorasso goes on smooth! As long as you have the lather hydrated enough, feels great, nice and smooth, and nice and thick too. Lather all over the face, then finish off with the figure 8, zen moment of the shave. I can't wait to try out the GREEN Prorasso, but thats a next month purchase order coming up. Kind of odd how small these Prorasso soap pucks are, Tabac is even larger.

If you paid attention, you read that I gave myself some knicks trying to get that moostash area BBS with a dull blade, no amount of soap lather prevented that mess, just probably prevented it from getting worse. LOL! So out came the alum stick, wet it as recommended, and now I know what the sting is about. WOW doggy, its like poor that hot sauce on my face, feel the sting baby.

But I have to give it to that Omega Alum Stick, it sure did seal up the knicks and tiny weepers. A little splish splash on the face after 30-seconds, holy shmockies, that alum gives your face grip! And then I finished off the shave with some PAA Boomtown Bay Rum. I am back to smelling like an air freshener again.

Rex Ambassador, please get here on the 1rst, I need you! 🤣

Top Bottom