What's new

Did I get bamboozled?

I purchased this brush "never used" from another BST. I did my regular cleaning and noticed a little bit of shedding during cleaning. I've used it a handful of times now and it's shed some hair every time I used it. I was hoping it would get better during break-in, but this seems pretty bad to me. I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Note that I own two other Simpson brushes and I've owned several others. None of them have shed.

brush.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have owned several Simpson brushes in pure, best, super, and manchurian from new, and other than a couple of loose hairs which were lost at the very start, none have shed at all. I have also owned a few used Simpson brushes and only one shed like yours is doing, and it did so on an ongoing basis. Some will advise washing and combing etc. but in my experience if that level of shedding is happening during every use, and continues for several uses over weeks and months, then it will never stop, and cannot be stopped.

There are so many hairs in that brush it's bound to let some loose initially. Lightly comb the knot to speed up the process if you feel like it.

How many have you lost so far?

I'd say I've lost 2 dozen so far. I'll give it another comb through and hope that this is just an unusual break-in period for me. I appreciate the replies!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'd say I've lost 2 dozen so far. I'll give it another comb through and hope that this is just an unusual break-in period for me. I appreciate the replies!
Does it seem overly dense to you? It may have been barely used before you got ahold of it my friend.

Does it seem overly dense to you? It may have been barely used before you got ahold of it my friend.

It does seem very dense! Even compared to my two SiLVERTiP CH2s. The seller said it was unused. It's possible it just needs to break in more. It still has the badger funk.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It does seem very dense! Even compared to my two SiLVERTiP CH2s. The seller said it was unused. It's possible it just needs to break in more. It still has the badger funk.
I'll bet you a dollar against a donut the day will come that it loses a bristle every other shave and you will still think it is amazingly dense!

The only thing that really REALLY bugs me in shaving is even ONE bristle on my face during a shave! I TRULY fight my OCD tendencies in shaving, but try as I might that bugs me.

My BIGGEST problem in shaving brushes is this: the only brush that is hard to get to shed is a synthetic one, but I have come to just NOT enjoy the "face-feel" of them. I adore a well broken in badger, I delight in a good "almost broken in" boar, but when it comes to a non shedding synthetic I feel like I do about like warm liquids: I want to "spew it out!"

Lol, sorry (not really!) about the rant. In my professional opinion it's good for your spleen to rant and rave once in awhile!

I've had 8 Simpson brushes. All but one stopped shedding within a week. My densest Simpson is a Rover. The Rover was nowhere near as dense as a Chubby, but it shed a few hairs (mostly on the soap) every shave for several years. Then one day it just stopped. It's my favorite 3-band badger. I'm glad I stuck with it.

When I was looking into this brush and the complaints often seen about them shedding, I went to Simpson's website and in their FAQ, they address the question if you wanted to read up on Simpson's take on the issue. I ended up choosing not to buy one.

I remember reading that the best badger variant has something like 20,000 individual hairs in it (if this is fake news someone chime in please). Unsure if the Super Badger variant is the same. Hopefully it's just the stragglers working their way out and the other 19,976 will stay where they are.

With those odds though the sense of it being an issue may be inflated. I really hope it stops because that looks like a pretty darn fine brush, and something like that needs to be enjoyed!

You might get lucky. Based on the stamps and sticker, it looks like a fairly new brush. It could just be initial loose hairs coming out. That said, I’ve never seen anything close to that many coming out of any Simpson that I’ve ever owned.

If it doesn’t resolve itself then it’s worth getting in touch with Simpson about a re-knot. Their re-knotting service is exceptionally good value. Without a receipt or knowledge of how the last user used the brush you can’t really make a warranty claim.

If it doesn’t resolve itself then it’s worth getting in touch with Simpson about a re-knot. Their re-knotting service is exceptionally good value. Without a receipt or knowledge of how the last user used the brush you can’t really make a warranty claim.

I have reached out to Simpson for brush advice in the past asking for recommendations. I even bought brushes direct from them, paying more for shipping to the US. I always found them very helpful and accommodating.

If it still has badger funk, it's nowhere near broken in. Why don't you get some of your cheaper cream or soap and do several extensive hand lathers (no shaving) over the course of a few days. I'm talking about for several minutes. It will not only help remove the funk, it should separate the "unattached" hairs from the ones Simpson has been able to permanently grab. When there are as many hairs as a Chubby 2 sports, some are sure to get away early on. Give it some rigor and see if it straightens up in a few days. There can always be a lemon, but this brush is very popular worldwide, and the odds that it is a keeper far outweigh the chance that it's a loser. Chin up. It'll probably be fine.:001_smile

That’s a fairly large brush and an extremely dense one at that. In my opinion, it’s way too early to panic. Initial break-in shedding with Simpson brushes is fairly typical. I know because I own 28 of them. Over half of them shedded initially, but every single one of them turned out to be just fine.

I have the exact same brush and it has never stopped shedding til this day (over two years.) My other simpsons innvarious flavors dont shed at all.
So what is your take on it? Does Simpson maybe have trouble keeping fine (I assume) hairs in their densely packed large knots? I don't own any Super Badgers.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have a Ch.1 in best that tosses a dozen or more with each use. I used it regularly about half a year. Now it sits and makes me feel stupid for ever buying it.

So what is your take on it? Does Simpson maybe have trouble keeping fine (I assume) hairs in their densely packed large knots? I don't own any Super Badgers.
Not sure if its an issue with the fine super badger hairs in a dense knot but I also have a pj1 in super that has never shed a hair. I also have ch2’s in manchurian and silvertip that havent shed at all.

Top Bottom