What's new

Did I Find A La Lune Razor Hone?**UPDATE**With A Second New Purple Stone

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Got another Lune this evening! Grey, never used, with the label. With out this thread I would have passed since I have quite a few and use them very little, but it reminded me how much I like them...

We need pictures

My special stone. Big one. Honestly, idk why they bothered with such a size given speed but it's very cool. Faint remnants of extra fine stamp. Can see the wire border and the ex from extra fine. It does sharp... And it does that very very very well. The purple lune is a superior hone to live with imo. It at least tries to pretend like it cares about making a more balanced edge (it doesn't, you're getting sharp... maybe a little charity smoothness vs the ssofgr).
20180906_165520.jpg
20180906_165547.jpg
20180906_165723.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
That’s a monster. It’s kind of fitting, given all of those axes that you own.

I use to look á lot at THAT stone!

My biggest is a 8x2... and already, given the speed, is a very cool toy.

In the catalog there are monsters like yours, but they never show up. I had an heart attack finding a really big grey stone, but is some sort of thuringe with pyrite inclusions, not a la lune/spécial.

I have a bunch of sizes, from tinny 2x1, to the 8x2, most in both variants, grey and purple. I have to take pictures...

I'd be amazed if many survived without eating major damage. Both of thrm tend to chunk out in nasty ways when dinged

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This was a mystery stone when I got it at the flea market. It was black, covered in junk. The only tell was the heavy bevel that smiled at me thru the funk. A few days in a green bath revealed a nicely sized purple stone. It has the same waxy/plastic feel as my Special Stone but is slightly larger, 6 x 2.5". It has a 3D surface pattern that reminds me of storm clouds. On the back and sides are a few green inclusions. I gave it a heavy lapping to remove some divots, finishing at 600 grit, ending up with a glass like surface. It has some glitter to it but way less then the SS. I feel that I rescued a La Lune but it could be a Vosgienne. The only provenance that I have on the stone came from the seller who told me “it came from a old timers estate whose wife was from France”

Pictures under artificial light with the last two wet under sunlight and the purple really shows

B4F759B5-BF36-4F79-BDEC-A849EBE99ACA.jpeg
D30353F4-2628-4F56-9111-34C7664FE703.jpeg
44C637B9-4BA2-4449-8A8A-D3F76E39DB07.jpeg
3B712023-1B94-4C14-946D-7C73ED232809.jpeg
76E1D119-F2AC-4958-8A02-44840A07F97C.jpeg
43DFBA0E-154C-4CAF-BF80-D2D745FDBD1F.jpeg
A099FC77-AED8-43EA-86FF-42507D2A4704.jpeg

How did you edit the title of your thread? I would love to be able to do this. As for the second stone, it doesn't strike me as a Lune stone from the pix given the streaks on the surface, the thinness of the slice, and the watered-down chamfering. Rub some good old honing oil on it, and might bear a closer resemblance.

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
How did you edit the title of your thread? I would love to be able to do this. As for the second stone, it doesn't strike me as a Lune stone from the pix given the streaks on the surface, the thinness of the slice, and the watered-down chamfering. Rub some good old honing oil on it, and might bear a closer resemblance.

The edits, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood moderator. You do have ask nicely and promise them a piece of pumpkin pie

Will oil and take picture between turkey sandwiches. I had to remove a bit of surface do to damage. Before lapping, the chamfer was much more pronounced. Did not take a before picture

Gotcha, thanks. And the first to pics do hint toward Lune chamfers although the whole thing is really dried out courtesy of the green bath--really, I wonder if the benefits from soaking in Simple Green don't come with a price. Looks pretty thirsty for oil. Slice is still strangely thin from top to bottom for a Lune, given the surface dimensions. Otherwise, I would be inclined to think that is was an old piece of Vermont roofing slate (nothing wrong with this, btw).

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
The purple stone pictured next to its Special Stone cousin? Gave it a relaxing massage with oil and honed some SR on it. It is a joy to use. It was aggressive, but not as aggressive as the SS and still had the same funny waxy surface. It is thinner than the SS, but that is due to my heavy removal of the surface to get thru the gouges on the surface. Overall, I like this stone as a finisher or refresher

D3E8881C-971B-42C2-ADE6-54DAB9F5844F.jpeg
5DBD8A3E-56C1-4C24-9B41-1B7D39AC12A3.jpeg

My special stone. Big one. Honestly, idk why they bothered with View attachment 910345 View attachment 910346 View attachment 910347
My special stone. Big one. Honestly, idk why they bothered with such a size given speed but it's very cool. Faint remnants of extra fine stamp. Can see the wire border and the ex from extra fine. It does sharp... And it does that very very very well. The purple lune is a superior hone to live with imo. It at least tries to pretend like it cares about making a more balanced edge (it doesn't, you're getting sharp... maybe a little charity smoothness vs the ssofgr).View attachment 910345 View attachment 910346 View attachment 910347

I always wanted one of those big la lune, but they are super rare. I finally added a 12 inch purple monster to my collection. At 3kg this thing is a real beast!

Shaves are superb. I tend to get better edges from the bigger stones. Something about the speed and regularity of the passes.

I know that grey/blue stone since the days I realised razor hones could be found in flea markets. I started to look online for information, and found your pictures.

There was one 10 incher like yours for sale not so long ago. I was very very tempted... but I rather wait for the 12...

Never seen a long and narrow stone like that! What sizes? Is not in the catalog...

I'

Top Bottom