What's new

Did I buy the wrong blades?

Hi

I had success with Astra Platinum blades so I bought 100 of them. Lately I things have changed and I'm nicking myself more often. I might have to stop shaving for another couple of days to let them heal.

I'm wondering if I've fallen into a bad habit with my technique or if I bought the wrong blades. Admittedly I've had a lot of stress lately with university exams so it's likely I'm being too rough and pressing down too much in my passes.

Plus I've been trying to get an extra couple of days out of my blades. Could that be a factor?

Ironically I had a very smooth and nick free shave when I tried a Feather blade for a couple of days. Do people recommend I try a Feather blade again? My only problem with the Feather blade was it left my face feeling very raw for the whole day.

I think my lathering technique has improved lately. I'm currently using the Proraso shaving soap in the white tub.

Thanks.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You shouldn't apply any pressure at all. If you think you need a few days to heal, take them. If Feather are leaving you uncomfortable, then, you shouldn't switch.

Stretching the blades will give you nicks and weepers. If it pulls a bit, time to change. It can be during pass #2, don't finish the pass, change it there.

If feather gave you a razor burn and Astra gave you cuts it would be your technique. I would say pay more attention to angle and pressure. Also it could be the leather you are making.

Do you find the blades don't cut the stubble as smoothly if you use them for longer? For me if I use a blunt blade I apply more pressure to cut the stubble and I get cuts and burn.

You shouldn't apply any pressure at all. If you think you need a few days to heal, take them. If Feather are leaving you uncomfortable, then, you shouldn't switch.

Stretching the blades will give you nicks and weepers. If it pulls a bit, time to change. It can be during pass #2, don't finish the pass, change it there.

Thanks Luc.

If feather gave you a razor burn and Astra gave you cuts it would be your technique. I would say pay more attention to angle and pressure. Also it could be the leather you are making.

Do you find the blades don't cut the stubble as smoothly if you use them for longer? For me if I use a blunt blade I apply more pressure to cut the stubble and I get cuts and burn.

Come to think of it I think the blades don't cut as smoothly if I use them longer. I'll put a new blade in as well as having a break for a couple of days to let my nicks heal properly.

Thanks.

Relax, take a couple of days to heal, then work on using no pressure.

If you weren't getting nicks and then started to, I wouldn't blame the blades. It's probably something you're doing, not the blades.

Your mind might be elsewhere (and I don't blame you)'so use this as an excuse to slack off for a bit.

If my face is really beat up, a few days to heal is never a bad idea. It can however be difficult with so many wonderful blades and products to try !

Peter,

Definitely take a couple days off. Fortunately, I'm in a job where I can shave every 2-3 days.

Your technique may have drifted toward the aggressive. Like others said, be careful of the pressure. Also be careful of the angle between the blade and the face. Use the flattest angle that cuts.

Again like others, don't use a dull blade. Blades are cheap - I use a new blade for every shave.

And yes, it could be the blades themselves. I get a mcuh more comfortable shave from 7 o'clock yellows than from Feathers, Iridiums, or Astras.

I find Astra scratch at first but they settle down after a pass or two. If you are getting weepers then your technique is a little off. Let off on the razor for a day or two and when you return, use lighter, slower strokes. You should see significant improvement.

When I have a bad shave, I go back to a combo that has proven irritation free. In the past that was a superspeed, now it's a Fatboy with an Iridium Super. Do you have any blades that have proven gentle in the past? I have never tried an HD, but have heard it is somewhat aggressive. Maybe try a low-cost super speed? Oh, and if you want to get rid of those Astras, PM me, they work GREAT in my DE87 :001_smile

Last edited:
Hi.

I'm taking a couple of days off from shaving. I have to admit I'm still coming down from exam stress.

I'll see how I go the next time I shave. Plus I've put a new Astra blade in my shaver.

Top Bottom