What's new

Did Gillette ever recommend how many shaves per blade?

Pack of 4 Gillette Fusion ProGlide carts would cost me $20 and last one month worth of daily shaves. That's $240 per year. I've spent less than $800 on this shaving hobby in the past 4 years.

proxy.php

Pack of 4 Gillette Fusion ProGlide carts would cost me $20 and last one month worth of daily shaves. That's $240 per year. I've spent less than $800 on this shaving hobby in the past 4 years.

proxy.php

Mostly, you had a lot more FUN with your kit than you would have had with the carts!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

With those stropping machines (Twinplex), you could probably get those "20-40 shaves". Without it, the blade wouldn't be particularly smooth beyond one or two shaves.

Great points!

For me, any ‘tugging’ means that I no longer enjoy the blade. Plus, tugging means that I add pressure to the razor (BAD IDEA)! Bottom line for me is that I toss the blade once I sense tugging.

Obviously, I could still get more shaves!
That puts you in the good sense column
Right along with 99% of us who are not
Seeking pain or discomfort with the only
Reward being the extension of the life of
$0.15 or less blade,@BigJ this is something I'd never expect to hear you say, so I'll Just come out and say it,there are those Who will insist on the most comfortable Shave we can get and those who will Settle for anything as long they can save $0.01 of a Penny on a shave, But as we Have always said over here in my neck ofThe woods "IT'S ALL GOOD"

I keep my blades going for a while but like many say it doesn't make any economic sense as cheap as blades are these days. I will say if you are tossing after 1-2 uses you may be missing out on the best shaves. Many blades actually get smoother after a couple of uses.

Lol, I'd have to throw away a lot of blades before I ever used them if zero tugging was required, eh? Dorco, Dorco Prime, Derby, and anything Super Stainless. They all drag more or less. I prefer platinum coated blades for that reason, they are smoother to start with and stay that way longer.

Every blade I've every shaved with "tugs" on my chin, the hair is very coarse there. But there is a huge difference between a blade that drags as it cuts and one that irritates or scrapes.

Dull for me means I can't get a close shave no matter how many passes I make. Happens later using premium blades, but they all get there eventually.
My blades tug too on my chin area... it doesn’t bother me. I finish the shave anyways. Only change the blade when real irritation results.

In that book is an advertisement from 1905. The razor is delivered there with 12 blades. The title of the ad is:

"More than 400 shaves without stropping is a low average of the number of shaves that can be secured with a GIllette Safety Razor" (emphasis by me)

In that same ad is a "customer's letter" (I really don't know if these letters in sales brochures at that time were all real.) which states:

"I have used one blade sixty-two times and am still using it."

What I noticed myself is, that it is possible to use a blade longer WTG than ATG, i.e. while it shaves still smoothly WTX it tucks quite a lot ATG.

And some more marketing from 1906:

"Any Woman can Shave any Man. That means that anyone can use a Gillette Safety Razor and use it rightly. No previous experience is necessary in order to secure a perfect shave. And by a 'perfect shave' we mean a little better shave than the best barber can give."

"A woman is proverbially lacking in the ability to handle edged tools. Shaving with a Gillette Safety Razor is as easy for a woman as writing 'him' a letter."

With the Gillette blue blades, I believe it was recommended that they be replaced after every use because they would rust.
Beyond that, I think that much of what you read with recommendations of number of shaves per blade is little more than marketing. Everyone's hair and skin are different and everyone will get a different number of shaves per blade.

People seemed more intuitive & were able to figure it out on their own without excess guidance. Lawnmowers and power tools already have the stupid person/lawyer advice as to safe handling of a device. I foresee that coming soon, too, if the resurgence in DE shaving continues ramping up.

CAUTION! Sharp Blades, keep out of reach of children. Choking Hazard - Do not eat. May cause severe injury or death if mishandled. Please refer to the 48 page instruction booklet, found with your blades taped to it, for safety cautions. May contain materials deemed hazardous by the State of California.

People seemed more intuitive & were able to figure it out on their own without excess guidance. Lawnmowers and power tools already have the stupid person/lawyer advice as to safe handling of a device. I foresee that coming soon, too, if the resurgence in DE shaving continues ramping up.

CAUTION! Sharp Blades, keep out of reach of children. Choking Hazard - Do not eat. May cause severe injury or death if mishandled. Please refer to the 48 page instruction booklet, found with your blades taped to it, for safety cautions. May contain materials deemed hazardous by the State of California.

There’s no point in tilting at this windmill. You say that everyone managed fine without these warnings, but the reality is that some people didn’t, which tends to result in legal action, and it was decided in court that it is not unreasonable for someone to need the instruction. The fact that you aren’t such a person isn’t relevant to the discussion.

It is very subjective if it is reasonable or not if a warning regarding choking hazard, poking the handle into the eye, unsuitability as coffee spoon, danger of throwing it out of the window, eta. is need.

They make warnings because people do stupid things. All the time.
Hang out in an ER for a shift or two if you don't believe me.

But stupid people are very creative and they won't read a long list of things not to do. And if the list is to long also the non-stupid people won't read it and won't get the few important and non-obvious points. But if the purpose is just to cover your *** then the list improves always with length.

Top Bottom