What's new

Did Gillette ever recommend how many shaves per blade?

Did the Gillette Company ever state anywhere in their literature or ads or marketing campaigns "how many shaves they recommended per blade". I am talking more about the early days of Gillette with the original "three hole blade "Blue Blade" or even the "Super Blue". I would think they would have recommended "one use" and then toss. Maybe because of the quality back then men could only get one shave with the early blades and that was standard procedure so there was no reason for Gillette to mention it.

Last edited:
The advertizing from the 1920's suggests up to forty shaves per blade, with re-sharpening available. Those were carbon steel blades 0.006" thick -- I'd expect at least that many from stainless blades.

I don't remember any suggestion of how many shaves was typical of any blade since I've been paying attention (which means reading advertizing in magazines starting in the early 1960s). "long life" isn't a number....

Remember that shave perception and actual sharpness are not closely related. The perception of "dullness" and tugging are much higher on un-coated blades of any kind no matter how sharp the actual edge is. Carbon steel usually takes a little finer edge that stainless, but won't hold it as long. Modern blades are all at least teflon coated, and many premium blades are coated with lubricating metals (chrome and platinum primarily) and often diamond like carbon. These coating both make the actual edge hold up better AND reduce the drag of the hair while being cut quite a bit. Protein like hair will stick to steel, and soap can only do so much to reduce this as the blade severs the hairs.

I suspect quite a few shavers mistake the loss of teflon for lack of sharpness. The blade drags more, so it pulls the hairs more, and adding pressure to compensate (which I tend to do) results in weeper and nicks. Shaver blames the blade for being "dull" when it's actually just as sharp as it was to start with but isn't lubricated with teflon on the bevels any more.

The advertizing from the 1920's suggests up to forty shaves per blade, with re-sharpening available. Those were carbon steel blades 0.006" thick -- I'd expect at least that many from stainless blades.

I don't remember any suggestion of how many shaves was typical of any blade since I've been paying attention (which means reading advertizing in magazines starting in the early 1960s). "long life" isn't a number....

Remember that shave perception and actual sharpness are not closely related. The perception of "dullness" and tugging are much higher on un-coated blades of any kind no matter how sharp the actual edge is. Carbon steel usually takes a little finer edge that stainless, but won't hold it as long. Modern blades are all at least teflon coated, and many premium blades are coated with lubricating metals (chrome and platinum primarily) and often diamond like carbon. These coating both make the actual edge hold up better AND reduce the drag of the hair while being cut quite a bit. Protein like hair will stick to steel, and soap can only do so much to reduce this as the blade severs the hairs.

I suspect quite a few shavers mistake the loss of teflon for lack of sharpness. The blade drags more, so it pulls the hairs more, and adding pressure to compensate (which I tend to do) results in weeper and nicks. Shaver blames the blade for being "dull" when it's actually just as sharp as it was to start with but isn't lubricated with teflon on the bevels any more.

Thank you for this good explanation. As a younger guy I understood that modern blades are coated, but wasn't entirely sure what that meant. Obviously by itself stainless is much more resistant to rust and corrosion compared to carbon steel, but I would imagine coatings help with that also.

Great points!

For me, any ‘tugging’ means that I no longer enjoy the blade. Plus, tugging means that I add pressure to the razor (BAD IDEA)! Bottom line for me is that I toss the blade once I sense tugging.

Obviously, I could still get more shaves!

Lol, I'd have to throw away a lot of blades before I ever used them if zero tugging was required, eh? Dorco, Dorco Prime, Derby, and anything Super Stainless. They all drag more or less. I prefer platinum coated blades for that reason, they are smoother to start with and stay that way longer.

Every blade I've every shaved with "tugs" on my chin, the hair is very coarse there. But there is a huge difference between a blade that drags as it cuts and one that irritates or scrapes.

Dull for me means I can't get a close shave no matter how many passes I make. Happens later using premium blades, but they all get there eventually.

It was received knowledge that one blade = one shave. Then along came Wilkinson Sword Stainless Steel, in the mid-sixties, I think, which promised a number of shaves per blade greater than one.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
If I start a shave and the blade is tugging at all
I stop and the blade gets replaced immediately .

I am talking more about the early days of Gillette with the original "three hole blade "Blue Blade" or even the "Super Blue". I would think they would have recommended "one use" and then toss. Maybe because of the quality back then men could only get one shave with the early blades and that was standard procedure so there was no reason for Gillette to mention it.
Early blades were designed for multiple uses and were rehoned. In those days a single pass was also the norm so blades lasted longer.
Lol, I'd have to throw away a lot of blades before I ever used them if zero tugging was required, eh? Dorco, Dorco Prime, Derby, and anything Super Stainless. They all drag more or less.
That has been my experience.

I don't believe Gillette said how many shaves a blade will normally give, because there are too many variables as to whisker toughness and shaving preparation.

1918 : "2 or 3 shaves per edge"
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

well when they started selling 10 packs of blades the advertising mentioned "20 sharp edges for shaving". And mentioned a penny per shave in cost of blades for shaving... then you could say the 1 dollar pack of blades at .10 cents each was good for 10 shaves.

"Each blade will give from Twenty to Forty smooth and delightful shaves" according to Gillette
proxy.php
They soon figured out they weren't selling enough blades with such claims....the 2 or 3 per edge claimed in '18 sells much better..

They soon figured out they weren't selling enough blades with such claims....the 2 or 3 per edge claimed in '18 sells much better..

They were "cooking" the sales books regardless and literally destroyed the co. as well as losing it to Henry J. Gaisman.

They were "cooking" the sales books regardless and literally destroyed the co. as well as losing it to Henry J. Gaisman.
That cooking may have come later, they were flying pretty high in '18 -'20 with with all those WW1 vets looking for blades for their army supplied Gillettes.

R

romsitsa

At the very begining it was 400 shaves per razor (20 blades).
Then honing service was discounted and 300 shaves per razor (12 blades).
Then 10-15 shaves per blade.
Then 3-4 per blade.
But, every newer blade was “sharper and lasted longer” than the previous model.
Also, Gillette blades were extremely pricey (till end of the 30ies), so one use per blade was not an option and wouldn’t have helped sales.

Adam

Top Bottom