What's new

Did Clubman just unknowingly release a great pre-shave product?

Check the ingredients of their 2 new natural hair oil products. These are some of the finest ingredients I've seen in any product from one of the legendary companies. This is something one would expect from a much smaller artisan. Don't these sound like they would make terrific pre-shave oils?

1611681394118.png

1611681406651.png

thats also a very good price for 4 oz. of pre-shave oil. I might have to give that a spin!

They're advertising it as a hair scalp massage, but it seems to me that they're limiting their sales by doing it. Those ingredients look terrific and perfect for a pre-shave, and maybe even a drop into a whipped lather!

The problem with using these types of oils instead of the significantly more pricey pre-shave oils is that they are super thick and very greasy. You would end up having to use a lot as it would stick to your skin and could cause you to breakout. It also won't be very water soluble and would definitely leave oil scum in the sink. Just my two cents. Pre-shave oil should be moisturising, slick and easily absorbed and easily washed away. You also shouldn't need that much.

The problem with using these types of oils instead of the significantly more pricey pre-shave oils is that they are super thick and very greasy. You would end up having to use a lot as it would stick to your skin and could cause you to breakout. It also won't be very water soluble and would definitely leave oil scum in the sink. Just my two cents. Pre-shave oil should be moisturising, slick and easily absorbed and easily washed away. You also shouldn't need that much.

What if little by little, drops of water were added to dilute the oil until it wasn't that thick, with a good shake of that bottle or a decanted one before each use? Would that help the matter?

What if little by little, drops of water were added to dilute the oil until it wasn't that thick, with a good shake of that bottle or a decanted one before each use? Would that help the matter?
Oil and water don't mix unless it's done with specific ingredients under specific conditions. That is the ONLY reason why actual pre-shave oils cost up to 10x the price of just plain olive oil or castor oil or any other oil. Pre-shave that is designed to be used prior to shaving will be thin, easy to spread on a wet face and not clog your pores, sink, brush and razor. It will be long-lasting because you don't need tonnes of product to cover all the areas you need to and it will still be effective. Normal oil won't do any of these. It's why I disregard complaints about the cost of pre-shaves compared to normal creams/oils/soaps etc. So to answer your question...no. In my opinion I don't think diluting it would be effective at all. I tried with olive oil and it just doesn't work as well and creates more clean-up. Definitely not worth the hassle (especially since this could reduce the quality of shaves if it is thick and greasy and therefore sticky). These companies have been around for decades selling these types of products since they began. They'd know if there was a market for it to be used as something else. Again, just my two cents though...for a few extra dollars you can get american crew ultra glide shave oil...its fantastic as a pre-shave (is my go to) and can be used on its own when in a rush.

Last edited:
I agree. It's just oil. Lots of different types of oil, but essentially oil and nothing but oil.
So, it's going to be oily.
There's nothing special about the primary oils (olive, castor, safflower, grape-seed, cocoanut) as they are cheap...nothing "nutritive" about them. Admittedly, they are light oils. [Am I the only one who notices that the two ingredient lists are different?]
The latter oils (eucalyptus, geranium, lavender, peppermint, sage) are no doubt included merely for their aromatic scent qualities.
That leaves jojoba, rice bran, and cannabis sativa(!) oils, cocoa & shea butters, as active ingredients.
Jojoba has been an ingredient of questionable value in hair/scalp preps for decades. The butters are simple skin moisturisers.
And what role hemp-oil plays, I have no idea. Probably just a marketing gimmick.
I wouldn't buy it...even for my scalp!

Just to add a bit of folklore: I read somewhere (probably here lol) that the first TAoS pre-shave oil was concocted by the wife of the founder in her kitchen with whatever oils she already had. Not sure how accurate this is. Also not sure how thick and clogging this first version was.

Just to add a bit of folklore: I read somewhere (probably here lol) that the first TAoS pre-shave oil was concocted by the wife of the founder in her kitchen with whatever oils she already had. Not sure how accurate this is. Also not sure how thick and clogging this first version was.

I don't know the story but sure is not far from the truth, I tried a sample of the AoS preshave oil and it was a disaster, very thick, killed my lather as soon as I put it on my face, clogged the razor so bad I had to put it aside to clean it later, clean my face with tons of soap and started all over again with a different razor and fresh lather.

I would’ve being better off with cooking oil!

That oil would probably work pretty well as a preshave provided only a couple of drops were used. It might also benefit the scalp.

Oil and water don't mix unless it's done with specific ingredients under specific conditions. That is the ONLY reason why actual pre-shave oils cost up to 10x the price of just plain olive oil or castor oil or any other oil. Pre-shave that is designed to be used prior to shaving will be thin, easy to spread on a wet face and not clog your pores, sink, brush and razor. It will be long-lasting because you don't need tonnes of product to cover all the areas you need to and it will still be effective. Normal oil won't do any of these. It's why I disregard complaints about the cost of pre-shaves compared to normal creams/oils/soaps etc. So to answer your question...no. In my opinion I don't think diluting it would be effective at all. I tried with olive oil and it just doesn't work as well and creates more clean-up. Definitely not worth the hassle (especially since this could reduce the quality of shaves if it is thick and greasy and therefore sticky). These companies have been around for decades selling these types of products since they began. They'd know if there was a market for it to be used as something else. Again, just my two cents though...for a few extra dollars you can get american crew ultra glide shave oil...its fantastic as a pre-shave (is my go to) and can be used on its own when in a rush.

If that's the case, using it as a scalp massage oil as prescribed might make the hair look greasier than a dab of (from my day) Brylcreem, Score (I wonder how many remember that) or Vitalis. Vitalis did some job on the pillowcases if a guy didn't shower at night!

my dad used hair dressing until he died, so I remember both brylcreem and vitalis. I can't recall the name of the product he used near the end of his days. It came in a white tube.

If that's the case, using it as a scalp massage oil as prescribed might make the hair look greasier than a dab of (from my day) Brylcreem, Score (I wonder how many remember that) or Vitalis. Vitalis did some job on the pillowcases if a guy didn't shower at night!
Hair oil is a bit different because your hair and scalp both absorb quite a large amount of oil, even more if you have thicker hair and even more if it is curly/wavy. My family has been using coconut or almond or argan oil in their hair for generations. It is like the most common hair therapy ever. If your hair/scalp is feeling dry or if there are issues with dandruff or you use a really drying hair product like clay/pomade then these are good to put on at night and shampoo out in the morning. Unless you use too much...it shouldn't make your hair look greasy but there will be a somewhat unnatural shine and 'hold' to your hair. Always use a towel wrapped over the pillow though. If you use it in the morning, you only use a few drops.

I don't know the story but sure is not far from the truth, I tried a sample of the AoS preshave oil and it was a disaster, very thick, killed my lather as soon as I put it on my face, clogged the razor so bad I had to put it aside to clean it later, clean my face with tons of soap and started all over again with a different razor and fresh lather.

I would’ve being better off with cooking oil!
This is why most people cast aside pre-shave oils. In the beginning everyone used AoS which was basically just 'hip' at the time. That was not a pre-shave oil..it was well..oil. There are plenty of pre-shave oils which are specifically manufactured to not be greasy, thick and scummy. These oils are worth it (for my face at least) and function completely differently from plain oils. They are actually slick, lubricating, protective and moisturising WITHOUT feeling like you just wiped your face in oil slick.

Hair oil is a bit different because your hair and scalp both absorb quite a large amount of oil, even more if you have thicker hair and even more if it is curly/wavy. My family has been using coconut or almond or argan oil in their hair for generations. It is like the most common hair therapy ever. If your hair/scalp is feeling dry or if there are issues with dandruff or you use a really drying hair product like clay/pomade then these are good to put on at night and shampoo out in the morning. Unless you use too much...it shouldn't make your hair look greasy but there will be a somewhat unnatural shine and 'hold' to your hair. Always use a towel wrapped over the pillow though. If you use it in the morning, you only use a few drops.
I have thick, straight, and heavy hair. I've been using almond oil and American Crew hair fiber to style my hair and it works a treat. I gather a little bit of the hair fiber from the tub in one palm and then pour a little bit of almond oil into that palm before mashing and mixing the two into a paste with both hands. I then apply that paste in my hair using both hands. :)

Top Bottom