What's new

Did cart on one side, DE on the other today

I found that for me, carts work better too. Theyre faster, more efficient and cause less irritation with a closer shave than a DE. I tried DE, SE, shavette and even traditional straights and eventually found my way back to carts.
I think that for some people, shaving is more or less of a hobby and its a hobby, you are probably more inclined to the traditonal gear because it has more of a cool factor and theres more tinkering and experimenting with it.
I went back to carts and brushless creams because I came to realize that my love for it was more in the buying and trying of new gear than it was so much that it gave me better shaves.
At the end of the day, its your shave, enjoy it how you want.

You want to hear the real irony? Even after all the time spent, the frustration, the aggravation, the bloodletting, all of it: I'm still trying to shave with the double edge. I keep switching back and forth between my two razors, keep trying different blades. I read a wiki article on blade angle and another on grips. So I figured I'd try it again, this time holding the razor between the thumb and two fingers like a dart. Just did one with a brand new Gilette Nacet blade in my heavier razor. Tried my shaving soap rather than the ToOBS cream. I really, really concentrated on the angle and the feel. And I'm sitting here now with at least twenty cuts, nicks and weepers. And I know I'll be here again, and again, and again, because as much as I hate the damn double edge I just can't seem to stop trying. All for the hope that once, just once, I'll have a bloodless, smooth, irritation free shave that beats what I can get with the cart in a quarter of the time.

I don't know, I guess I'm just dumb like that.

I'm a little late to this thread, but you stated you tried different DE razors. Have you tried any slants? I have super sensitive skin and the slant is like heaven for me. I use a closed comb DE when I truly need a BBS. But I have found that using a solid sensitive soap like Proraso White, and a slant with a sharp blade such as a Gillette Silver Blue, have made life joyous after a shave.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
OP, I admire your perseverance. I really hope you find a way to make it work. I wish I could offer you advice, but you have been at this longer than I have. For the amount of time and suffering you have put in, I think you deserve success at some point. Good luck, man!

You want to hear the real irony? Even after all the time spent, the frustration, the aggravation, the bloodletting, all of it: I'm still trying to shave with the double edge. I keep switching back and forth between my two razors, keep trying different blades. I read a wiki article on blade angle and another on grips. So I figured I'd try it again, this time holding the razor between the thumb and two fingers like a dart. Just did one with a brand new Gilette Nacet blade in my heavier razor. Tried my shaving soap rather than the ToOBS cream. I really, really concentrated on the angle and the feel. And I'm sitting here now with at least twenty cuts, nicks and weepers. And I know I'll be here again, and again, and again, because as much as I hate the damn double edge I just can't seem to stop trying. All for the hope that once, just once, I'll have a bloodless, smooth, irritation free shave that beats what I can get with the cart in a quarter of the time.

I don't know, I guess I'm just dumb like that.
I can understand that. There is a certain mystique and nostalgia to a double edge razor. Me, I did the DE thing for 3 years, mastered it, moved on the straights and shavettes, mastered those and then realized how silly all of it was and went back to the cart. For me, it was a matter of why put in all the extra work and time when you can get the same shave quick and easy with a cart?

I can understand that. There is a certain mystique and nostalgia to a double edge razor. Me, I did the DE thing for 3 years, mastered it, moved on the straights and shavettes, mastered those and then realized how silly all of it was and went back to the cart. For me, it was a matter of why put in all the extra work and time when you can get the same shave quick and easy with a cart?
This is so true. All the fancy razors and at the end the cart achieves the same results, just faster. Frank

I have read this thread a lot and I keep getting one thought: the users have not learned to properly create lather. This really come to mind when I got my tub of B&M Reserve Classic. It requires a lot more water than my other soaps and the first few times I didn't get it properly hydrated. The results looked like the OP. Without a properly hydrated leather, no blade and razor combination will work.

Focus on the JOY first!

98% of the JOY in wet shaving lies in proper pre-shave prep, the brush, the warm water, the after-shave, and most importantly: THE SOAP!
Don't let poor technique combined with a "bad" razor ruin this 98% for you!

The remaining 2% of JOY -- the icing on the cake, is in razor selection.
But, this assumes that your technique and goals are good, realistic, and not ruining the 98%!
For example: it may be unrealistic to aim for BBS every day.
Try mainly WTG and XTG.
Direction of growth and understanding your skin come before selecting a razor.
Bad technique ruins everything.
But, we are fighting for a minor edge in selecting the right razor.
No big deal. We are obsessive men and proud of it. That's how you get to places in your life.

Take a look at my repertoire in my signature.
I've tried many of the popular things out there.
But, still, as I said: once good technique and pleasurable lather have been mastered: you're already 98% there. Be happy with that.

These days, the SkinGuard, Sensor Excel, and Supply Single Edge keep me happy.
In a few days, I might return to my EJ DE89 or Rockwell 6C and then back again.
No big deal.

Get to your 98% of JOY first and then worry about the remaining 2% if you want to.
If you get to 98% and the remaining 2% is managed easily by a Sensor Excel, then cherish it and call it a day until you are ready to challenge yourself again in a few months or years.

No need to be a Jiro Ono.
Be yourself.
Be happy.

I'm only an extremist about 1 thing:
Face lathering with a RazoRock Synthetic Plissoft Brush along with warm water and what you consider a good soap is akin to a heavenly facial spa massage thingmajing.
Anyone who disagrees with this statement must have serious mental health issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom