What's new

Did cart on one side, DE on the other today

I would like to submit this as evidence that traditional shaving is not the universal best solution that it's proponents would have you believe that it is, and that cartridge shaving is the best option for many, if not most men.

At no point to I make the assertion that I am certain that most men will be better off with cartridge shaving

These are your words.
I'm not sure how they could be interpreted any other way.
I'm not trying to be argumentative and have nothing else to add.
Hopefully shaving will get as good for you as it is for us.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How do you approach swirls like that?

The more rigid the design the more comfortable it is. The more blade exposure, the less number of strokes needed.

With my R41 and a fresh Feather blade its 3 full passes over face and neck, N-S, S-N and ATG, then 2 clean ups over my swirls in five directions to minimize blade flex because its a less rigid design. Forcing it to work any quicker than that is asking for blood lol.

With my Grande, its either 1 pass N-S and one ATG with a clean up over them in two directions, or, a single buffing pass directly ATG and one clean up in the opposite direction.

Using my MMOC is the same, but because the blade is thicker and even more rigid, its half as many strokes and more comfortable again.

I have sensitive skin and coarse dense growth. Thats why multi blades carts didnt work well for me and it was always a struggle that left my skin raw, red, hot and irritated. Thats why I'd alternate with electrics, to give my skin a break between cart shaves. I can see an improvement in my skin from using my MMOC over using my Grande.

Without my discovery of rigid designs, I'd most likely still be struggling with my Mach 3 and a month or two before I joined here I bought a new rotary electric and 36 refills for my Mach 3. I've used my Mach 3 once since I came back to DE shaving comparing it to Bic 3 and 5 blade disposables and the Schick Xtreme 3. Of them all I preferred the Schick, but its still a harsh cats tongue feeling shave compared to the air hockey puck feeling shave of DE's and SE's. I've never had a true BBS finish with a cart either but every shave with a DE or SE is a full BBS of between 6 hours with my mildest razor and 19 hours with my MMOC.

@cugamer

That razor as I understand its pretty mild with little gap and little blade exposure. Vidyut blades, in my experience, arent the sharpest of the bunch and for me were one of the harshest and roughest blades I'd used in the 30 or so types I've tried.

I'm curious if you've tried a Feather blade in it. If you havent, you might. I believe blade choice is the most personal aspect in all of DE shaving. The blade needs to match your skin and hair composition to give a smooth clean cut without tugging or harshness.

Another thing to bear in mind is to let the razor do the job the best of its ability. What I mean by that is, find the right angle, which will be a very small window of operation with that particular razor and being a mild razor, it needs to whittle the stubble down slowly. You say you have coarse and dense growth, that translates to me to three passes plus. Once you understand your beard map and can maintain the proper angle without issue, with the right blade matched to your skin and hair type, you should find that razor far smoother, more effective and gentle on your skin than any multi blade cart.

See my last shave with a post war Gillette Tech below.

48 hours since last shave and back to 'just shaving', for the moment...

Post war tech/Fat handle. Fresh Feather.

Proraso Green.

Maggard synthetic.

Standard 3 pass++++ shave.

First pass N-S. Second pass S-N. Third pass directly ATG. No buffing at any point.

First clean up at and below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Second clean up pass below my jawline, buffing ATG.

Third clean up pass and back over my jawline at a 45° angle and buffing over my swirls.

Fourth clean up pass lol, 45° the opposite direction and buffing over my swirls.

In the end I needed to start all over again hahaha.

I have very comfortable skin and a very nice BBS shave, but I damn well better after that much work! Mild razors are just that mild. Easy on the skin but not what I'd call efficient. It was an enjoyable shave, its hard to dismiss that much comfort, but at the same time its maddeningly frustrating.

I'll use it again the next time I feel like whittling a Totem Pole...or something.

066556773a72d1908cd59a4b320f1fc5-totem-poles-native-art-jpg.892184

If I had tried to make that razor work harder than it could, my skin would have suffered. The solution to that is a more efficient razor.

With coarse and dense growth, the more rigid the razor design the smoother the shave, especially ATG. The razor you used is a rigid design so it should be smooth, but it wont be as efficient as you might like. It will do the job smoothly and comfortably though given enough time. If you rush it, it can cost you.

I can think of two members here that have used that razor for head shaves without issue. Head shaving is more difficult than face shaving because theres, usually, more hair and its denser.

In the end it all comes down to what you want. If shaving is a 'chore' and its something you just want over quickly, your Mach 3 may be the best option. On the other hand, I can shave at 48+ hours growth with my Grande or MMOC from start of loading my brush to toweling off in 3 minutes or less. Learning to shave like that however took me several months lol, but it can be done.

I had the same issue for months a while back. It came down to using a great looking lather (than in reality was under-hydrated) and using way too much pressure on the razor when shaving. This thing is all about prep and technique.

Ouch, that looks painful. After that many attempts, better stick with the Mach 3. Gotta do what’s comfortable for you!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Ouch, that looks painful. After that many attempts, better stick with the Mach 3. Gotta do what’s comfortable for you!
+1 take the path of least resistance is my advice. Mach 3 gave you a better shave and that is what you deserve. DE & SE work better for myself than my Gillette proglide cartridge.

+1 take the path of least resistance is my advice. Mach 3 gave you a better shave and that is what you deserve. DE & SE work better for myself than my Gillette proglide cartridge.

Well ... I wouldn't say deserve since that could have a double meaning. But if anyone gets good results with a Mach 3, then use it. End of problem.

I have found that applying really hot water to the face/neck by way of a wash cloth for a minute or two really helps in shaving. That is more important than applying creams and such for me anyways. The neck area has hair growing in several directions so feeling around for stubble left helps me determine how to angle the blade.

I shave in the shower which helps again with the steam, and mostly shave by feel. I was about to say you were pressing down with the DE until you said no on that. Not sure what more to add but the neck is tricky even now beginning shaving with a SE.

...As stated above I've been trying to get the hang of DE shaving for over two years, and would estimate that I've done over two hundred shaves with the device...
Clearly DE shaving is not for you. Just stop butchering yourself and shave happily with your carts. End of story.

Apologies for the poor image quality, photography is not my forte'.
Neither is shaving, buy the look of it.

An update for any who might be interested. Did another take with the DE today, full face this time. Same parameters as before with the following exceptions:
  • Gillette brand razor, model unknown (it was a gift) but it's an older model with a much smaller gap for the blade.
  • Gillette Nacet Stainless blade
  • Days growth: 6, experience has told me the experience is better if I wait longer
Same three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) holding the razor about as loosely as I can. Slow and careful, strokes about a half inch long. Results below:

As you can see, better but still lousy. There are also noticeable whiskers that didn't even catch the blade right next to the bleeders, something I'll never understand. Neck also feels like I rubbed a hot pepper on it, not super burny but very much burned.

Photo is much better this time. looks like your having razor bumps/ingrowns that get beheaded, for the most part. Which is probably why you've noticed longer wait times yield better results.

Photo is much better this time. looks like your having razor bumps/ingrowns that get beheaded, for the most part. Which is probably why you've noticed longer wait times yield better results.

Possibly, but apparently others are able to shave pretty much every day. I'd very much like to be able to do the same but even with giving the skin time to rest I get these results. Even now about four hours later my neck is still burning. The three day shave in my OP was so bad I had cuts that didn't fully heal for several hours. With the cart I can go every day, or at least every other day, and not have any significant bleeding. How does one achieve a really close shave without ingrowns and bumps?

In the end it all comes down to what you want. If shaving is a 'chore' and its something you just want over quickly, your Mach 3 may be the best option. On the other hand, I can shave at 48+ hours growth with my Grande or MMOC from start of loading my brush to toweling off in 3 minutes or less. Learning to shave like that however took me several months lol, but it can be done.

Three minutes start to finish? Hell, I can't even get the shaving cream properly whipped up in that amount of time. For me a DE shave (with the results you see above) is generally about a thirty minute commitment.

Stick to carts.
Not everyone can learn an instrument no matter how hard they try.
Not everyone can be a Harvard teacher no matter how hard they try.
Not everyone can learn good shaving technique no matter how hard they try.

Personally I can shave with anything but nothing gives me a smooth BBS shave everyday in FIVE minutes like my four pass daily DE shave.

Using a modern razor almost doubles the time and who has time to waste?

Three minutes start to finish? Hell, I can't even get the shaving cream properly whipped up in that amount of time. For me a DE shave (with the results you see above) is generally about a thirty minute commitment.
In my opinion the irritation you experience could be due to poor lather = lack of lubrication. Plus the trapped hairs in the neck area.
All easily solved.

@cugamer,

I suggest giving a can of Barbasol or Gillette foamy a try. Apply to a moist, not a wet face. I rinse the razor after each stroke, but I do exceptionally long strokes. If you are using short strokes, rinse it when the lather builds up a bit.

It appears to me that you haven't mastered a light touch. Maybe use a DE for the areas that are working and a cartridge for the others. Gradually increase the areas.

Some of the barbers around here use double edge disposable razors. Maybe go to one and see if it's possible for you go get a nick-free shave. There may be something about your skin or beard that makes it difficult.

Perhaps, you could rest just a bit of the top head on your skin for a while. After the first pass, use a cartridge. Eventually, you can rotate the razor down a bit. Maybe make a video of a few shaves so you can see what you are actually doing when you play it in slow motion.

If you keep at it, you may figure it out. Or you may decide on a different hobby. Either one is good.

If you continue I would try to feel your way along. When I get irritation I can feel it as it is happening. I never really get bleeders but if I get too frisky some loss of skin and irritation does happen. Irritation = loss of skin. That is an equation I made up for use here.

Could be you have unusual skin but I am guessing it is technique more so that is in play. You were stretching the skin, try doing without. I do not stretch the skin so no idea how it would change.

Top Bottom