What's new

Did cart on one side, DE on the other today

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We are all different. If you find that a Cartridge Razor works best for you then cool. I used Cartridge Razors for years and still use my favourite Schick Razor on the odd occasion. Whether it is an SE, DE, SR or a cartridge, it is just shaving and if you find Carts are best for you then stick with the Carts.

I would like to submit this as evidence that traditional shaving is not the universal best solution that it's proponents would have you believe that it is, and that cartridge shaving is the best option for many, if not most men.

What offends me is the fact that because you have had a poor experience (and you are not alone I'm sure) you suggest it is not the universal best solution and that "cartridge shaving is the best option for many if not most men"
What are you basing this on other than your own experience? You are basing this on yourself alone.
Did you have a test group?
What were the parameters of your tests?
Its just so ridiculous to say this as a generality based on 1 persons experience.
I'm sure there are some that just prefer cartridges for a myriad of reasons be it convenience, speed, maintenance, whatever, but to say carts are probably better for "most" men based on you...wow.

It does not offend me at all that you get better shaves with any other method. . I couldn't care less.
We all should use whatever works best for themselves.
Nobody is trying to sway you.
We are just getting different results than you.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
One should never be offended by another's viewpoint, even if we disagree. Our goal here is to help get a better shave for ourselves and, if possible, help others find what works for them.

One should never be offended by another's viewpoint, even if we disagree. Our goal here is to help get a better shave for ourselves and, if possible, help others find what works for them.

His viewpoint of shaving on his own behalf is not objectionable in any way.
The fact that he has completed an experiment with himself is one thing.
To make a generalization for the masses based on that same experiment is.
Opinions about your own experiences are never mocked, nor should they be, and we should all help, absolutely.
He did not ask for help.
He came to a conclusion for himself and that is good.
It is not the conclusion for anyone else but him.

I had never heard of the Simba Series Double Edge razor. When I "googled" the razor, I found a reference on Amazon. The reviewers rated the razor as 2 start our of 5, and 59% of the reviews rated the razor as only one star. It appears that Amazon no longer sells the razor. If you look up other razor brands (Edwin Jager, Merkur, Muhle, Parker), they are rated around 4.5 out of 5. Even Weishi gets similar ratings. Thus, I have a strong suspicion that a poor quality razor has contributed to the poor shaves.
Yes, this particular model doesn't appear to be for sale any longer. However Amazons system is buggy. If you go to what's left of the page for it it does display some very low ratings, but for some reason they are ratings for a brand of false eyelashes! When I purchased the razor it had over two hundred reviews with an average of 4.6. At any rate this is not the only DE I've tried, I've also used an old Gillette that was gifted to me (don't know the model but it's much smaller and lighter) with similarly awful results.

Again, I had never heard of the Vidyut Supermax Platinum blades. There are a few reviews, but not many. Thus, I do not know if these blades are an issue.
I'd like to think that, but I've tried many different blade brands. For me there is no blade which gives a good shave, only varying degrees of bloodletting.

If your technique is good, you can shave with nearly and razor,
So it is generally believed. However I don't believe that is the case for all men. Obviously this is just one persons experience but with hundreds of attempts and and not one of them bloodless it is very difficult for me to believe your supposition is true.

@cugamer
Is it just the razor giving you a hard time, or is the lathering and preparation giving you fits as well?
I think I have lathering and prep down. I'm able to get a nice full lather either with soap or the ToOBS cream I listed above. I've experimented quite a bit with lathering techniques, mostly I follow this excellent guide here and seem to be getting a good result. I've also tried adding pre-shave oil to the mix before lathering but I don't see any real difference with it.

I actually quite enjoy the prep ritual, I really like that it keeps my hands clean and is just kind of a fun process (really it's the only part of shaving I don't hate.) As I note in my original post however, I was able to make an ATG pass with the cartridge with no lather at all and all I suffered was some mild inflammation. Same pass with the DE and lots of lather ripped me to shreds. I don't think it's prep, I think it's the actual act of shaving.

His viewpoint of shaving on his own behalf is not objectionable in any way.
The fact that he has completed an experiment with himself is one thing.
To make a generalization for the masses based on that same experiment is.
Opinions about your own experiences are never mocked, nor should they be, and we should all help, absolutely.
He did not ask for help.
He came to a conclusion for himself and that is good.
It is not the conclusion for anyone else but him.
I am sorry if there is anything which I have posted which others find objectionable. Of course I don't think that my experience is going to be the same as everyone else. However, I do find very little tolerance in the DE shaving community for the position that traditional shaving is anything other than a superior experience for all individuals. B&B is honestly the most open and welcoming of different viewpoints (from my experience) so I felt comfortable posting my experiences here. I've tried posting similar opinions to other forums and have been melt with outright hostility, B&B is where the grownups seem to reside.

And I have asked for (and received) assistance here in the past. Literally dozens of people have provided ideas, links to resources, encouragement, ect. One kind soul even mailed me a different razor, which sadly failed to make much of a difference. I'm very grateful to all who post here and sincerely want to make this a better place for all.

My goal here is to provide an alternative point of view and speak for those who have a poor experience. It could be just me, it could be half the men who try double edge shaving. I really don't know, and it's not like there is hard data to back it up. Granted most of the people who post here have a positive opinion of double edge shaving but this is a self selecting set of enthusiasts. So I'm entirely aware that I may be the only person who has such issues and I apologize if I gave the impression that I believe otherwise.

Of course I don't think that my experience is going to be the same as everyone else.
That's not the impression from your first post. You are under the impression "most men" would feel the same as you.

I do find very little tolerance in the DE shaving community for the position that traditional shaving is anything other than a superior experience for all individuals. B&B is honestly the most open and welcoming of different viewpoints (from my experience) so I felt comfortable posting my experiences here.

While this is true to other forums I don't think it is true of here.

My goal here is to provide an alternative point of view and speak for those who have a poor experience. It could be just me, it could be half the men who try double edge shaving. I really don't know, and it's not like there is hard data to back it up.

Of course you are free to speak for yourself, especially here. But you were speaking for "most men" - something you should never do.
If you feel that there is a majority that feel the same way please feel free to back that up with an actual experiment of a group or similar "test".

This is my point. Nothing else.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Regardless of the method used, it’s just shaving guys. Let’s keep this discussion civil.

I am sorry if there is anything which I have posted which others find objectionable. Of course I don't think that my experience is going to be the same as everyone else. However, I do find very little tolerance in the DE shaving community for the position that traditional shaving is anything other than a superior experience for all individuals. B&B is honestly the most open and welcoming of different viewpoints (from my experience) so I felt comfortable posting my experiences here. I've tried posting similar opinions to other forums and have been melt with outright hostility, B&B is where the grownups seem to reside.

And I have asked for (and received) assistance here in the past. Literally dozens of people have provided ideas, links to resources, encouragement, ect. One kind soul even mailed me a different razor, which sadly failed to make much of a difference. I'm very grateful to all who post here and sincerely want to make this a better place for all.

My goal here is to provide an alternative point of view and speak for those who have a poor experience. It could be just me, it could be half the men who try double edge shaving. I really don't know, and it's not like there is hard data to back it up. Granted most of the people who post here have a positive opinion of double edge shaving but this is a self selecting set of enthusiasts. So I'm entirely aware that I may be the only person who has such issues and I apologize if I gave the impression that I believe otherwise.
The lathering is the most fun. I have to agree. I'm really sorry your DE isn't working out for you. I get the opposite. I get chewed up with cartridges, even brand new ones, but get a really good and safe shave with DE blades. No bumps, rashes, or ingrown hairs. Then again I have one of those beards that makes Grizzly Adams jealous and scares small children. Seems you have one of those beards that are real course some places and extremely mild in others.

I say keep using the good lather and prep, but use the cartridge. What is your post shave routine? Alum after the shave might help. Just rinse it off after a moment or two. Helps prevent all kinds of skin problems if used properly.

That's not the impression from your first post. You are under the impression "most men" would feel the same as you.

Of course you are free to speak for yourself, especially here. But you were speaking for "most men" - something you should never do.
If you feel that there is a majority that feel the same way please feel free to back that up with an actual experiment of a group or similar "test".

This is my point. Nothing else.

My exact quote was the following:

"traditional shaving is not the universal best solution that it's proponents would have you believe that it is, and that cartridge shaving is the best option for many, if not most men"

At no point to I make the assertion that I am certain that most men will be better off with cartridge shaving. I simply said that it is possible that this is the case and that DE shaving is not the panacea that many claim it to be. If you choose to misinterpret that as me "speaking for 'most men'" then you are free to do so. However, I believe that I have now clarified my statement several times, as well as acknowledged and apologized for any miscommunication on my part. I do not intend to do so again. I would like to thank the moderator for his reminder to keep the discussion civil, and state my intention to refrain from further response to such irrelevant lines of discussion.

Last edited:
The lathering is the most fun. I have to agree. I'm really sorry your DE isn't working out for you. I get the opposite. I get chewed up with cartridges, even brand new ones, but get a really good and safe shave with DE blades. No bumps, rashes, or ingrown hairs. Then again I have one of those beards that makes Grizzly Adams jealous and scares small children. Seems you have one of those beards that are real course some places and extremely mild in others.
My wiskers are thick and coarse but they grow sparsely on my cheeks and densely on my neck. My growth pattern is also rather simple, up on the neck to the jaw, then down higher up. No whorls or other inconsistencies that other men have to battle.

I say keep using the good lather and prep, but use the cartridge. What is your post shave routine? Alum after the shave might help. Just rinse it off after a moment or two. Helps prevent all kinds of skin problems if used properly.
That's interesting. My understanding was that alum is mainly used to help with coagulation and stop bleeding. Which of course is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place. Are you saying that alum should be applied regardless of whether or not there is bleeding?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I use my alum block daily as a post-shave treatment while brushing my teeth. Then I rinse it off and apply my aftershave.

Last edited:
Having tried virtually every type of shaving, DE is not necessarily the holy grail. Having said that, you should atleast attempt it with adequate equipment. Vidyuts are poor blades. A Krona with an Astra gives an adequate shave, but I prefer an Injector and cartridge combination for convenience.
And using a cart until it falls apart is folly.

My wiskers are thick and coarse but they grow sparsely on my cheeks and densely on my neck. My growth pattern is also rather simple, up on the neck to the jaw, then down higher up. No whorls or other inconsistencies that other men have to battle.

That's interesting. My understanding was that alum is mainly used to help with coagulation and stop bleeding. Which of course is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place. Are you saying that alum should be applied regardless of whether or not there is bleeding?
It also helps with acne and other skin problems. It destroys bacteria. Great for an underarm deodorant as well. I shave my underarms and use this if I don't have a deodorant that matches my aftershave/fragrance of the day. If I do have a deodorant that matches my fragrance of the day, I'll rinse it off my pits as well if I had shaved them that day.

Top Bottom