What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Wilkinson Sword (6th) (137th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère soap sample, De Vergulde Hand ASB

And yet another fine shave. The blade still works wonders.
Only two more MdC days to go. Yes, I previously suggested I'd be 3017ing this sample. And I do like the product and the fragrance a lot. But I also am quite keen on variation.
We'll see which way the wind blows on thursday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams.
Current rotation status:
  • De Vergulde Hand (puck): 75
  • Tabac soap (glass jar): 125
  • Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 75
  • Baume.be cream (tub): 75
  • Nivea shaving cream (tube): 25
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 23; Cella: 15
Finished/stopped using
  • Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave. At € 1,29: € 0,016 per shave. Close to 'for free'
  • Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used (stopped using it); 1,11g per shave. At € 7,30: € 0,065 per shave.
  • TOBS sandalwood cream (150g): 96 shaves; 1,56g per shave. At € 15,95: € 0,17 per shave.
  • ARKO stick: stopped using it after one shave. #528 explains why.
  • Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub, 125g) : 141shaves, 0,89g per shave. At € 2,89: 0,02 per shave. Close to 'for free'.
  • TOBS samples: Jermyn Street: 9; The St James Collection: 10; Eton College: 8
  • Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves; 1778 BB (xxg): 28 shaves; Smoor (xxg): 20 shaves; Soek (xxg): stopped after 5 shaves; Berk (xxg): 20 shaves.

Wilkinson Sword (7th) (137th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère soap sample, De Vergulde Hand ASB

I'm getting curious how long this blade is going to last for me. It's been a week now, so I won't be complaining. But I have this feeling there's still some shaving quality left in it. We'll see.
My wife was just shaving her legs with ARKO. Instant reminder why I'm not using that soap any more. To avoid controversy: I don't hate the fragrance. I just dislike it very much (very very much) for a shaving product.

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams.
Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 24; Cella: 15
Finished/stopped using
  • Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave. At € 1,29: € 0,016 per shave. Close to 'for free'
  • Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used (stopped using it); 1,11g per shave. At € 7,30: € 0,065 per shave.
  • TOBS sandalwood cream (150g): 96 shaves; 1,56g per shave. At € 15,95: € 0,17 per shave.
  • Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub, 125g) : 141shaves, 0,89g per shave. At € 2,89: 0,02 per shave. Close to 'for free'.
  • Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves; 1778 BB (xxg): 28 shaves; Smoor (xxg): 20 shaves; Soek (xxg): stopped after 5 shaves; Berk (xxg): 20 shaves.

I think the LOTH is trying to tell you something. Maybe you should revisit this soap. You previously used the ARKO stick, but it is obvious that the stick has now changed. Tomorrow you could be shaving with an ARKO! Stick - something totally different alltogether. :cuppa:

Enjoy!

Guido

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Wilkinson Sword (7th) (137th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère soap sample, De Vergulde Hand ASB

I'm getting curious how long this blade is going to last for me. It's been a week now, so I won't be complaining. But I have this feeling there's still some shaving quality left in it. We'll see.
My wife was just shaving her legs with ARKO. Instant reminder why I'm not using that soap any more. To avoid controversy: I don't hate the fragrance. I just dislike it very much (very very much) for a shaving product.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 24; Cella: 15
Finished/stopped using
How is the De Vergulde Hand ASB? Surprisingly it's readily available Stateside.

Wilkinson Sword (9th) (137th blade), Cella (sample), Nivea Sensitive Balm

So I went for variation and consistency. Not 3017ing the MdC at this point but instead switching to the last product on the list, the Cella Sample. So all soaps keep in pace at multiples of 25. Which reminds me I still have to make a picture of the soaps at their current level.

Returning to Cella was a disappointment. I clearly recall the fragrance brought me back to my toddler years. That very special smell of the white glue in small jars with a tiny spoon to scoop it out. None of that this morning. The sample has been sitting pressed to the bottom of an empty Proraso tub. A thin layer, smelling of hardly anything at all. Of course, that might be just the top, maybe I'll get that Proust moment back tomorrow.

And then there's the Wilkinson blade. Still amazes me. But I don't like taking risk with blades, so if I don't forget, I'll be ditching it tomorrow morning. With a happy smile and hoping to return to Wilkinson soon.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 25; Cella: 16
Finished/stopped using

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (4th) (138th blade), Cella (sample), Nivea Sensitive Balm

Shifting from the Wilkinson blade after 9 shaves to a new Gillette was quite revealing. I had the impression the result with this new blade was les smooth than with the Wilkinson I just ditched. And I still do. However, the last 3 shaves cannot be compared with all previous ones.
Now I read one remark on Wilkinson: their quality might be inconsistent. And I've used only one Wilkinson blade. But if I don't notice this inconsistency, if the next Wilkinson blades keep up the pace, I'll be ordering Wilkinson Sword next time, possibly instead of the 7o'clock.

That's because I made a major change in my shaving routine. The temperatures here are unusually high (like over 30°C). So I decided to experiment with cold water shaving. Hot water only to wet the brush so I can load easily and to clean my gear. Cold water for the entire shaving operation. And it does work for me. It's a weird sensation but I like it in the current weather conditions.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 25; Cella: 20
Finished/stopped using

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (5th) (138th blade), Cella (sample), Nivea Sensitive Balm

Still enjoying the cold water shaving routine. Still wondering what made me so happy about the Gillette 7o'clock blades, except for the design.
And then there's this Cella sample. I guess it won't make it to 25 shaves. I'm sure I don't mind. I was so happy with that fragrance at my first encounter. And now it's so disappointing not to get that fragrance any more, but to be reminded of it by a weird sister-fragrance.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 25; Cella: 21
Finished/stopped using

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (6th) (138th blade), Cella (sample), Nivea Sensitive Balm

Low on news, which can also be a good thing. It actually is in this case: carefree shave, same feelings about soap and blade. Still working with the cold water routine.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 25; Cella: 22
Finished/stopped using

Voskhod (1st) (139th blade), Cella (sample), Nivea Deep ASL

Ditched the Gillette blade and made a happy return to Voskhod. Did an amazing job with only one pass. Switching Nivea Sensitive Balm for Deep ASL wasn't the brightest idea. I primarily did this in line with weather conditions. Hoping the ASL would be a better match for the temperature. Well, slightly better indeed But the fragrance is more an autumn-winter thing.
On the Cella front, I guess the sample will reach 25 shaves. But no more than that. Which is totally fine.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 25; Cella: 23
Finished/stopped using

Voskhod (2nd) (139th blade), Cella (sample), Nivea Sensitive Balm

So it didn't. The Cella sample. Reach exactly 25 shaves. I finished it this morning (loading rather heavily, even for me). Next up I'll be 3017ing the MdC sample. And I might start ordering new soaps. For now, I plan to order Martin de Candre Fougère and Saponificio Varesino Mirto di Sardegna. At least, if the ASB of the Mirto di Sardegna is back in stock.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 25
Finished/stopped using
  • Other samples: Wholly Kaw King of Oud (stopped after 2 shaves; #867 explains why); Cella: 24 shaves

Voskhod (3rd) (139th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (sample), De Vergulde Hand ASB

I already witnessed the super quality of the Martin de Candre soap. Returning to the Martin de Candre Fougère sample this morningconvinced me: I really like the fragrance too. It's a pitty they don't offer any after shave products, but the combination with De Vergulde Hand works fine for me.
Temperatures are still high so I stick with my cold water shaving routine for now.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 26
Finished/stopped using
  • Other samples: Wholly Kaw King of Oud (stopped after 2 shaves; #867 explains why); Cella: 24 shaves

Voskhod (4th) (139th blade), Martin de Candre Fougère (sample), De Vergulde Hand ASB

Same products, procedure, enjoyable process and fine result as yesterday.
I did finally update my soap levels after xxx shaves thread with a picture of the current soap status.

Current rotation status:
  • Other samples: MdC Fougère: 27
Finished/stopped using

Top Bottom