What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Gillette Platinum (5th), Proraso red AS

Two passes again (WTG/ATG).
Very fine shave, one small red dot and a very mild irritation on the neck though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
TOBS sandalwood cream: 57
Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 50
Proraso Red soap : 50
Tabac soap (glass jar): 50

- finished -
Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave.

Gillette Platinum (6th), Nivea Sensitive Balm

Excellent shave. The small red dot from yesterday reappeared, the irritation is nearly gone. Selected Nivea balm instead of Proraso AS to help the recovery. And to stay clear from the smell: I'll be using a decent and discreet perfume later today before going to a new prospect.

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
TOBS sandalwood cream: 58

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SE (yellow) (2nd), Nivea Sensitive Balm/Proraso red AS

Excellent shave. No more red dots. But the irritation in the neck is fading only slowly. Hence the Nivea sensitive balm for that area.

TOBS sandalwood cream: 61

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SE (yellow) (3rd), Nivea Sensitive Balm only

One WTG pass only.
The irritation in my neck bothers me. So I decided to do one-pass shaves, going WTG only, till the situation gets better. And I only used the Nivea Sensitive Balm. Looking back, seems the irritation came with the switch of blades from Gillette Platinum to Gillette SE. 'Irritation following blade switch' doesn't necessarily mean 'irritation due to blade switch' though. Should check my previous posts when I used the 7o'clock yellow.

TOBS sandalwood cream: 62

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SE (yellow) (4th), Nivea Sensitive Balm only

Back to two passes. WTG/ATG on cheeks and jawbone area; WTG/XTG on lower chin and upper lip.
Checked my notes on the Gillette SE blade in the mean time: no clear indications of higher 'red dot - irritation' risk.

TOBS sandalwood cream: 63

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SE (yellow) (5th), Nivea Sensitive Balm only

One and a half passes. WTG/ATG on cheeks, upper lip and jawbone area; WTG on lower chin and upper lip.
Irritation on the neck is taking time to heal.

TOBS sandalwood cream: 64

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SE (yellow) (6th), Nivea Sensitive Balm only

One and a half passes again. WTG/ATG on cheeks, upper lip and jawbone area; WTG on lower chin.
Irritation on the neck is a tough cookie. I only now discovered my hairs grow in all directions like a tornado exactly at the adam's apple point. Not sure how to handle that.
And this was the last day of TOBS for now. Tomorrow I'll rediscover the Wilkinson puck.

TOBS sandalwood cream: 65

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SE (yellow) (7th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

One and a half passes again. WTG/ATG on cheeks, upper lip and jawbone area; WTG on lower chin.
Irritation on the neck is slowly fading.
Last day of the Gillette SE. Not sure how I feel about it. My shaves were excellent, except for the irritation in the neck. But that started with the previous blade (Gillette Platinum) already.
First day returning to the Wilkinson Sword puck. I've always been in doubt whether I liked the smell or not. Returning to sniff the tub during the day as a matter of fascination or liking?
Well, returning to it after so many weeks I'm sure now: I really like the smell (or got to like it).
That's not the same for the bay rum. I still feel like a giant clove. This first encounter with the 'bay rum' type of smell is likely to be the last.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 51

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (1st), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Irritation remains at the same level.
Not very happy with the new blade. It's the last one of the tuck and I clearly recall them to be less sharp, requiring full attention to get a fine shave. Well, maybe I didn't pay full attention. But I did get two red dots and a 'fine shave' result at best.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 52

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (2nd), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Back to two passes. WTG/ATG on cheeks and jawbone area; WTG/XTG on lower chin and upper lip.
Irritation is reducing.
Still not very happy with the new blade. No more red dots, but a DFS result at best

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 53

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (4th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Still at two passes. WTG/ATG on cheeks and jawbone area; WTG/XTG on lower chin and upper lip.
Yesterday and today: two excellent shaves. Enjoyable process, excellent result. Very happy with what this green blade can do.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 55

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (5th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Again two passes. WTG/ATG on cheeks and jawbone area; WTG/XTG on lower chin and upper lip.
Excellent shave even though I had to hurry a little. No red dots and the irritation on the lower part of the neck is slowly fading.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 56

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (6th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Again two passes. WTG/ATG on cheeks and jawbone area; WTG/XTG on lower chin and upper lip.
Feels so good to be back on track, to experience a series of excellent shaves! This Gillette will definitely stay top tier when reordering blades.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 57

- finished -

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (8th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

The irritation on the left lower neck keeps giving me problems. From today onwards, I'll be doing only a WTG on that part.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 59

- finished -

Astra SS (blue) (1st), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Going only WTG on the lower neck isn't easy (hairgrowth direction changes 180° on my adam's apple) but it seems to help. So does the new and rather sharp blade.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 60

- finished -

Astra SS (blue) (2nd), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

What an excellent shave. Nice process, very nice result. This Astra SS'll keep its spot on the first tier I guess.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 61

- finished -

Astra SS (blue) (3rd), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Today I opted for a one-pass shave. WTG only. While shaving, I planned on doing one pass WTG shaving for at least a week. But now (2 hours later) I'm not so sure :wink2: .The thinking behind: giving my skin some rest, some time to repair a few very small but very resistent irritated hairs here and there.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 62

- finished -

Astra SS (blue) (4th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

I repeated the one-pass shave. WTG only. I have the impression the result is even less smooth than yesterday. But there also was almost no stinging from the alumn. So I will continue on this path at least a little further.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 63

- finished -

Top Bottom