What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Astra SS (blue) (5th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

I repeated the one-pass shave (WTG only), but added a second XTG pass to the sideburns and jawbone line. Very pleased with the proces and the result. Both in terms of smoothness (highly acceptable) and effect on the skin irritation (still fading).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
TOBS sandalwood cream: 65
Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 64
Proraso Red soap : 50
Tabac soap (glass jar): 50

- finished -
Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave.

Astra SS (blue) (6th), Wilkinson Sword puck, Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Continuing the 1.5 passes routine: WTG only on most parts, but with a second XTG pass to the sideburns and jawbone line. Very pleased with the proces and the result.

This was the last day of Wilkinson for now. Starting tomorrow, I'll be using the Proraso red soap for 15 days. That's the plan at least. Curious how I'll appreciate the smell (and if my wife is going to notice). I remember not being a huge fan of the smell (and my wife really not liking it at all).

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 65
Proraso Red soap : 50

- finished -

Voskhod (1st), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

Still on the 1.5 passes routine: WTG only on most parts, but with a second XTG pass to the sideburns and jawbone line. Very pleased with the proces and the result.

Back to Proraso. Not really a happy return. The smell is acceptable at best. I used 'Bois de Santal' bodysoap (La Maison du Savon de Marseille) afterwards, such a big difference. Also a sandalwood, but refined, rich, complex and subtle at the same time. Not the one-dimentional in-your-face Proraso smell.

Proraso Red soap : 51

- finished -

Voskhod (2nd), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

Not much to add to yesterdays post. Except that I notice the '1,5' passes are extended by a few mm every day. Probably the essence is to strictly limit myself to 1 pass on the neck.

Proraso Red soap : 52

- finished -

Voskhod (3rd), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

Still very happy with my 1,5 approach. Though I should start calling it the 1,75 passes-approach I guess. And still not very happy with the smell of the Proraso.

Proraso Red soap : 53

- finished -

Voskhod (5th), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

Still very happy with my 1,5 approach. I started calling it the 1,75 passes-approach two days ago. That wasn't such a great idea. I'm back to calling it 1,5 having cut it back to 1,5 (or even less): the rash on my neck was returning fast.

Proraso Red soap : 55

- finished -

Voskhod (7th), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

Two most excellent shaves yesterdaymorning and today. I slightsly modified my routine and I love the process and the result a lot. Except for the smell of Proraso red. It might be an aquired taste, but I didn't aquire it yet I'm afraid.

Proraso Red soap : 57

- finished -

Astra SS (2nd), Proraso red soap, Nivea Sensitive balm, Proraso red AS

Two more of those excellent shaves yesterdaymorning and today. I came to like these Astra blades a lot.

Proraso Red soap : 59

- finished -

Astra SS (3rd), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

I noticed the hairgrowth on the lower neck yesterday afternoon. It started scratching the collar of my shirt. So only one WTG pass might be good for the irritation, but not good enough to prevent another irritation.
This morning, I experimented with a 1,75 pass version.
- WTG only the entire area (which is complex on the neck)
- ATG on sideburns, jawbone line the chin.
- XTG on only the left hand side of the neck and on the upper lip.

Curious what it'll feel like in the afternoon. For now, it looks promising.

Proraso Red soap : 60

- finished -

Astra SS (4th), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

The 1,75 passes approach seems to work for me for now. Even though I was in a hurry this morning, I had a nice shaving process and a very good result. Showered afterwards so I got rid of most of the smell 🙃

Proraso Red soap : 61

- finished -

Astra SS (5th), Proraso red soap, Proraso red AS

Slow and mindfull shavingtime this morning. Still, I had the impression the blade already started to tear at the hairs. Leaving also a few tiny injuries, too small to see but leaving tiny pieces of crust after an hour. So I'll be changing blades sooner than expected.

Proraso Red soap : 62

- finished -

Polsilver Super Iridium (2nd), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

First day of returning to Tabac. After 15 days of Proraso, I'll need to get used again to such a hard soap. The quality of the lather and the smell didn't take any 'getting used again' though.

Proraso Red soap : 65
Tabac soap (glass jar): 51

- finished -

Polsilver Super Iridium (3rd), Tabac soap, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Saponificio Varesino Cosmo sample

Shower after shaving, so the smell of the Tabac soap was mostly gone. Giving me the opportunity to try another SV sample. This aroma is definitely not my cup of tea. I even plan not to use up the rest of the sample after a shave in the near future. Good thing it's only a sample.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 52

- finished -

Polsilver Super Iridium (4th), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

One of those nices shaves. Enjoyable process, highly acceptable result.
Oh, and still on the 1,75-routine, skipping the neck and part of the cheeks on the second pass.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 53

- finished -

Polsilver Super Iridium (5th), Tabac soap, Saponificio Varesino Cubebe sample

Another one of those nices shaves. Enjoyable process, highly acceptable result.
Used the sample of Cubebe today. Gave a slight tingling sensation on the skin. Nice smell of a civilised and warm perfume. But very subtle, my wife smelled nothing.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 54

- finished -

Polsilver Super Iridium (6th), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

And another one of those nices shaves. Enjoyable process, highly acceptable result.
I decided I wasn't going to return to the Proraso Red soap any more. I dont't like it enough for another say 70 shaves. So I'll be using it as body soap.
Measuring what was left (78g), I must have used more or less 72g for 65 shaves.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 54

- finished/stopped using -
Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used; 1,11g per shave

Astra SS (blue) (1st), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

Even better shave than yesterday: same level of smoothness yet not the slightest red dot and neck irritation still reducing.
I've ordered new blades (the Astra I shaved with this morning being the last one of the blades that I currently can use) and a trial set with 6 soap samples of Scheermonnik.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 55

Astra SS (blue) (3rd), Tabac soap, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Tabac AS

Reduced my routine to 1,1 passes today, going XTG only on the jawbone part of my chin. Should have included my sideburn area.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 57

Astra SS (blue) (5th), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

Varying my shaving routine between 1,1 and 1,6 passes. Going WTG on the first pass. Limiting the second ATG to the protruding part of the chin/jawbone (0,1) at the most reduced routine to full jawbone, mouth part of the neck, sideburns, mouth area and upperlip on the 1,6 passes version (skipping only cheeks and neck part of the neck). It's giving me good shaving results and the irritations are almost gone by now.

My new bottle of Tabac AS arrived yesterday. I'm still waiting for the new blades and sample set of Scheermonnik soaps. The blades being most urgent (though the previous Tabac AS will run out any day too).

Tabac soap (glass jar): 59

Shark SS (1st), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

Since I've run out of preferred blades, I started using my last Shark blade today. With the 4 previous Shark blades, I rated my shaving skills too limited for this blade (that, in my experience, feels the least sharp of all my blades). I was pleasantly surprised this morning. The proces was really comfortable. The result is pretty good! A rather fun way to notice some improvement over in my shaving skills over the last months!

Tabac soap (glass jar): 60

Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used (stopped using it as shaving soap); 1,11g per shave

Top Bottom