What's new

Diary of a non-dominant hand shaver.

Ps one of the biggest things with the Swedish is that they were harsh on the moustache, yet it took a lot of ATG strokes to get the hair off. Well behaved blades like shark and Ladas are smooth enough that I can buff the moustache area properly.

My spelling and word choice in the first paragraph....

I still want to test them more but I am completely over putting my face up for science where I know it is unlikely to work.

Ladas shave two.

I went to far trying to get a smooth shave. More irritation than I like but not awful.

I think that these might be a one and done blade for me. I have the same issue with voskhod - I can get one nice shave (not as nice as ladas though) but after that it's no good.

Voskhod shave one. For reasons elsewhere on the forum. In slim set to 5. Mixed derby/aldi soap.

Not as bad as I dreaded, but I have gotten good first shaves from voskhod before. I think it might even be better than the Ladas.

4 full passes though. I think with these blades I have to start the shave knowing I will need more passes. I think it would change how I angle each pass to take a little less off each time and try to be smoother.

Irritation from 4 passes but not too bad.

I've been busy, two days of shaving in one post:

Voskhod shave two. Slim set to 5

I can't use these things for more than one shave. Way more irritation than necessary for the level of shave. Not a bad actual level of shave though.

Followed by:

Voskhod shave one. Slim set to 6

4 pass shave by design. Not awful, more irritation than I like but not a bad shave. I'm going to go back down to 5, I don't like the harshness that 6 gives on my top lip.

Platinum lux, shave one slim on 5. Rapira redeem themselves with this blade.

ok. This is a good blade and sharp. I can tell. I have got good shaves out of platinum lux before in my remei razor. Never used one in the slim. Compared to the other three rapira blades this doesn't baulk at tough bits against the grain.

I think I have to re-lighten my touch a little. i went too far with it and got a bit of irritation and a weeper. I haven't gotten a weeper in ages (a nick yes). Nice smooth result.

Any issue with this blade is due to my technique. I want to try it in the slightly milder tech to see if I get a better result. I can not fault the blade, but that does not mean it is right for me. I still think the shark feels better to me but that is subject to more tests and comparison.

Late night shave. Couldn't be bothered putting the blade from the slim into the tech. Put it in my only other TTO.

Platinum lux shave two - weishi. The old sharp blade in mild razor theory.

decided to use the proraso for the second time as well.

very nice shave to the point that I want to do the same with the derby soap to see if it makes a difference. I really do like the platinum lux blade, I think it beats out the sharks though not by much - and requires a different approach.

Not the closest shave I have ever gotten, but not far off, and near no irritation.

will also have to try them in the slim on a lower setting and in the tech.

PS. I bought a big rapira sample some months ago, knowing that I prefer more than 5 blades to truly figure out if I like a blade or not. It was cheap so I bought 40 of each of 5 blades.

So far:

40 platinum lux - very happy
40 ladas. I can get a single decent shave out of each
40 voskhod. I can get a single decent shave out of each
40 swedish supersteel - horrible so far. I will have to try them in a mild razor like the weishi to see if they work in any way at all. I am not confident that that will help as they feel dull and a mild razor would only make that worse. The only hope is that a different blade angle may make them work?
40 rapira chrome. Yet to try.

I am still waiting for a set of 13 samples of 5 to try - including all of the big guns.

Platinum lux, shave 3. Weishi, Derby soap.

First pass good.
Second pass, I think I misjudged the grain in an attempt to have fewer passes. Ok but a bit of tugging. I think It could have started blunting the blade more than I should.
Third pass, ok but the blade felt blunter than I liked.

I bailed from this shave early leaving it at CCS with little irritation.

I will have to try the next blade with the same setup and see that it is still good. Possibly my shave soap effects the quality of shave more than I thought. (though I don't actually think so).

Swedish supersteel, weishi, derby soap

an attempt to see if a less aggressive razor will tame a dull blade (I know that sounds wrong). Did the whole shave with as shallow an angle as possible. Will need to try these in the slim on 1 or 2.

First pass really good. Maybe I was wrong. Smooth and absolutely no problem.

cross grain pass.... Started hitting those patches of hair that this blade just skips over rather than slicing through. This was feeling more like I expected. Made it through ok.

against grain pass. Varied this closer to second cross grain as it was really tough work to make it through the stubble. Lots of short sharp strokes.

final pass. The third pass left me with a lot of hair. (More than yesterday's which I stopped as the blade was dull). I did another true ATG pass. Even more so concentrated on short shallow strokes. Lots of feedback and hard time pulling through the stubble.

end result DFS level but not as smooth as most. Some irritation but not bad. I could live with a shave like this but wouldn't enjoy it.

Confirmed these blades are NOT for me.

I am liking the weishi shaves in general as I am getting a good angle that isn't causing much irritation.

Voskhod shave one, weishi, derby soap.

Given the way the weishi made the platinum lux great and the Swedish almost tolerable I decided to try a voskhod.

frankly too dull. Did not cut well enough and I ended up using 4 passes and I think accidentally applied more pressure than I should. All up an ok shave. Alum showed a lot of irritation.

I will try but is am guessing Ladas will be the same. Use voskhod in slim, use the platinum lux and Swedish in milder razors.

I haven't been around for a while.

I've had some good shaves and some bad shaves. Blades still get me better results when newer. I still get better results from sharks and platinum luxes than any of the other rapiras.

Still waiting for the rest of my samples to come in....

Voskhod shave 1, slim set to 5.

I think I have a handle on these blades in general. They need the more aggressive razor. They are dull and I just can't expect a superb shave from them.

Three passes with a 'very' light touch riding the cap as much as possible and no skin stretching.

Still pulling on the second and third passes. Not quite DFS but CCS with a little bit of irritation.

Being a one and done blade for me I am going to start a new Ladas tomorrow with the same setup. These blades seem similar to me and I'm trying to figure out how similar.

After that I'll re-try the swedish again with the same setup.

Ok. Another couple of days gone.

Tried the Lada with the same settings as the voskhod. It seems to me to be a similar but better blade and I got a very nice shave with it.

Tried to stretch it to two days. Got another nice shave but with a lot of irritation.

Then Tried a Swedish Supersteel again. I reckon I'm going to keep coming back to them and trying other things. Tried it in the slim set to 3 as a compromise as were it works in the weishi and doesn't work in the slim on 5. For some reason unlike the first 6 blades I have tried this one felt Sharp!! Not sure what was different or if it is just really bad quality control. Got a nice close shave but with a fair bit of irritation.

Tried it for a second shave - no!! dull against the grain again and a lot of irritation. I am going to have to relegate these to weishi only and one shave only.

I concur with your assessment of the Rapira Swedish-supersteel: Ok for one or two shaves but as the platinum lux can be obtained for basically the same price I don't see myself buying more.

I also thought that vidyut super-max platinum was fairly good too, comparable for me to the platinum lux. Not sure which to get between the two.

Almost exactly 2 years on from this last post.

I have had a lot of things happen in my life, priorities changed and haven't had the time to test things like I was back then. I have been using only shark stainless blades with derby soap only in a gilette slim. I have been doing generally 2 pass shaves one with the grain one against the grain and getting good results consistently with no irritation.

The shark blades I'm using are lasting a very long time - usually 15 or 20 shaves before I change them. I'm not shaving every day like I was - my results may be different if I were.

Ran a shark blade for longer than I normally would because I jumped in the end of Feb 1 blade month. I didn't count but well over 20 and near 30 shaves from a single blade (compared to 3 or 4 two years ago when I was writing in this regularly).

That being said, I am going to give the swedish supersteel a new try - so much has changed with my technique although I haven't consciously changed anything that I am hoping I can actually do something decent with them. I do have one more evening of Feb left though - so if I decided to shave tonight it will be a last one for the shark (which is still doing a good low irritation job).

I still hate swedish supersteel. It starts sharp and rough. 3 shaves in it's blunt and rough. Got blood every shave (not much - but compared to my usual none).

Long time since I've added anything to this. Got a ming shi adjustable (future clone) 6 months ago that seems to take any form of guess work out of shaving (in the same way that multiblade cartridge razors are meant to?) that just makes every shave a breeze. Also got my father back into safety razor shaving, he found his old slim twist - though I'm trying to find a good plastic razor for him as he uses boiling water and the metal gets to hot for his face.

Got myself a cheap shavette of ebay a few days ago, first attempt with it was rough with quite a lot of blood (nicks) and I only completed one pass (finishing up with my other razor) but I'll keep persisting with it on and off as I feel that my technique in general will get better when I master it.

Top Bottom