What's new

Diamonds Pro Excell-a review

Greetings gents, I found these blades on razorbladeclub when placing an order and they piqued my interest. Searched but found almost no information on the web about them. Even on B&B I only found an old post that mentioned them in passing and said they were made in Turkey. On the box only a distribution company in England is listed. No manufacturer. I bought a hundred of these for 13.95 $.
Decided to make a review on them so that others are better informed.
One other mistifying thing about these is that on one side of the box it says Platinum and on another it says Super Stainless.
The packs are in sealed white plastic dispensers, which I like. The wax paper had a conspicuous brown patch on one side but after checking the blade thoroughly I understood it's just an imperfection in the paper. The writing on one side of the blade is faded a bit.
Prep-Nivea Pure Impact shower gel fir cleaning and softening the beard; Proraso Green preshave cream
Brush-Balea Men synthetic
Merkur 43c
Cyril Salter Sublime Citrus cream
Denim Original aftershave
Nivea Active Energy balm
I wanted to give this blade every chance to perform well and of course I wanted a good shave. On a side note I had 7 days of growth as I only shave once a week.
On the first pass the blade felt pretty smooth but tugged a little. Ok, I thought, a middle of the road blade. On the second pass onde the stubble had been reduced the shave was even smoother. At the end of the shave the result was basically BBS with no irritation and no cuts or weepers whatsoever.
So, what do I think about this blade? Smoothness-wise it it very close to Voskhod. Very comfortable shave. Sharpness was so-so. For those looking for smoothness I wouls definitely recommend this. For sharpness however there are better options out there that blend in smoothness as well-Astra SP, Gillette Platinums...
IMG_20190318_124049.jpg
IMG_20190318_124121.jpg
IMG_20190318_124209.jpg
IMG_20190318_124325.jpg
IMG_20190318_124209.jpg
IMG_20190318_124036.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190318_124022.jpg
    IMG_20190318_124022.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
AFAIK these are made by Amzusebat (Derby manufacturer) and i wouldn't be surprised if they are rebranded Derby Extra.
Weird... Even stranger is the scarcity of information about these blades on the web. Whatever the case I find them smooth. Not too sharp but pleasantly smooth. Zero irritation.

I've mentioned these numerous times. They are made by the Derby company, but I think they feel closer to the Derby Premiums, Bluebirds, or Concords.

I found these to be pretty darn nice. I've been recommending them quite a bit.

FWIW, I hate regular derbys.

I used them today for my shave. A friend gave them to me for a try. I have a course and thick stubble and always sharp blades (Polsilver, Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge and so) are oneway for me. These blades gave me a really bad shave. They don't have enough cutting power, so the blade was pulling and felt really unpleasant. I know that Blades are a very subjective thing in wet shaving but certainly these are not for me. I put them at the same team with Derby and Concord.

Top Bottom