What's new

Diamond Plate-Diamond Nagura-DN-Diamond Lapping Plate-History Use & Lore

The diamond lapping plate, so useful without out one I would struggle a bit. Who invented them and which ones do you hate or love? I use the Atoma myself but still have a few of the plastic based DMT's around.

Alex

Alex, while you're visiting, there's a ridiculously cheap one made here by SK11 that might be interesting for you. It's a 400/1000 dual sided one, about $15 on Amazon.jp.

I've avoided it as I eventually want to get an Atoma 1200, but the price on the SK11 is hard to argue with.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I use a DMT DiaFlat for heavy lifting, and atomas for maintence lapping.
My first atoma 1200 finally wore out, so I cut it up into small pieces and have just recently started using a DN to raise slurry. I like the DN slurry on the softer stones but still prefer a tomo on my hard finishers.

Stoop
I will look for one, I am at the Kezuroukai for the next two days, lots of merchandise there and some manufactures too including Tsunoban so maybe I can get some history.

Alex

I use DMT for slurrying my Jnats/Atauron/frankonian hones, and this is at least in my opinion the very best way to go. I only got one razor finisher that gives finer results with a Tomo Nagura (Ohtaniyama Kamisori Stone with Suita Tomo), and i really tryed very much of them.

Greets Sebastian.

I only have a Atoma 400 then added a 1200 plate to the back so it's duel purpose and then I have a DMT 600 card that is super handy, I was going to get a 600 and 1200 plate and cut them in half and then on the back of the 400 stick both on it but could not justify the cost in my little brain.

Stoop
I will look for one, I am at the Kezuroukai for the next two days, lots of merchandise there and some manufactures too including Tsunoban so maybe I can get some history.

Alex

That show looks amazing for woodworking! Looking forward to the JNAT report :)

I went ahead and ordered a SK11 400/1000 this morning as I fortuitously ran out of lapping sandpaper yesterday and needed to buy something. It should be here this evening. For $15 all I expect is something suitable for lapping but I might be pleasantly surprised.

Ok I got it and it is really rather ridiculously abrasive - as in, my finger skin hurt after feeling the surface. It looks and feels coarser than 1k on the 1k side too.

Used a 220 DMT for lapping stones for years. Got replaced recently but it hasn't been needed yet (haven't bought many stones lately). I hone razors almost exclusively on the whole range of DMT's, usually starting on the F or EF, but occasionally dropping to C or XC for repair. I also use C, F and EF on knives fairly regularly, particularly on softer knives where I can edge one up in a few seconds on a DMT. Not so much of a fan of the EE on knives, prefer a stone with a bit more bite depth at that grit. Possibly just haven't found the knife/steel that favors an EE finish. Rarely use XXC or XC for knives, personally. I'll generally go to a wheel or a carbo if I need that much work on a knife, though the XC probably deserves more use; mainly mine at home is just too worn down. When I borrow fresher plates (that weren't used for six years lapping hundreds of hones) they prove much more functional.

Couldn't bring myself to buy an atoma. The idea that they are films that get taped to a plate to save the consumer money sounded great until I saw that the replacement films were only a few dollars cheaper. Seems more like they're sold that way to save Atoma money. If my replacement lapping plate wears out, I'll probably spring for a DiaFlat.

Top Bottom