What's new

Diamond lapping plate guidance needed

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” Theodore Roosevelt

The plates will work and so will your sandpaper on a tile. Neither one is ideal but they are probably good enough.

When flattening stones you want to eliminate as many variables as possible. Start with a substrate that is as flat as possible and introduce as few possibilities for error as possible.

The absolute best thing I have found for flattening is a full sheet of wet dry paper on a AAA certified granite surface plate. This allows you to start with a surface of known flatness. The you add a uniform buildup to that surface with as few layers as possible. This gets my stones much flatter than my Atoma diamond plates. The downside is that the setup is somewhat cumbersome. Also great care must be taken not to foul the surface plates surface. If you are really picky you should even control the temperature gradient across the stone.

A straight edge is not a very fine measuring tool. For any sort of accuracy it would need to be used with feeler gauges. Even then it’s a little rough for our purposes. Luckily we’re only interested in if something is flat or not. Not so much in measuring how far out it is. That is easier to check. Get your stones to the point where pencil/sharpie grids are totally erased in a couple of light laps on the plates. Now draw new grid and rub the stones against each other. Are the grids still erased in a couple of laps?

My answer yes with the surface plate and no with the Atomas. The 400 and 1200 Atoma plates did not even agree with each other when used in progression…

When you consider how the Atoma plates are built up this is not really surprising. You start with a machined aluminum plate (uncertified?), then add a layer of adhesive (hopefully there are no air bubbles between the plate and the adhesive?), then another sheet of metal, then a certain thickness of abrasive (this wears down with time. Evenly?). You get the idea. Trying to keep the whole stone on the plate at all times actually makes things worse with the plates. This causes you to dish the middle of the plate.

Nothing is perfectly flat. You plates won’t be flat and neither will your stones. In an imperfect world total flatness does not exist. Luckily for us close enough is good enough. I generally do not use diamond plates for final finishing of finishes. For synthetic progression stones they are extremely handy. I do think that a good quality diamond plate would be preferable to a random flooring tile though.

Fine lapping plates have a short life, and a merry one.

The most popular one we use seems to be the Atoma 400. But I don’t use mine on any sort of novaculite.
Would you get the 400 or 600 for lapping high grit stones like the naniwa GK 12k? Im struggling to find a clear answer

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Would you get the 400 or 600 for lapping high grit stones like the naniwa GK 12k? Im struggling to find a clear answer
For refresh lapping I use a 600 grit diamond plate for my 400 and 1k Csynths, 1k grit diamond plate for my 3k and 8k Csynths and a 1.5k diamond plate for my 10k Jsynth.

For initial lapping I use W&D and SiC powders on a 300mm x 300mm glazed smooth flat ceramic floor tile.

Legion

Staff member
400. On soft synthetic water stones that is plenty fine enough. You don’t need to “dress” the surface like you might want to with some harder natural stones. A couple of passes of a razor will remove 400 scratches, you just need to keep it flat.

400. On soft synthetic water stones that is plenty fine enough. You don’t need to “dress” the surface like you might want to with some harder natural stones. A couple of passes of a razor will remove 400 scratches, you just need to keep it flat.
Thank you I appreciate the quick answers. Ill go with the 400 most likely then as I already have a 140 for my low grit stones

I use a cheap Chinese diamond plate with 400 and 1000 sides to lap synthetics, Coticules, JNATs and Vermont slates. For the synthetics, I use the 400-grit side to lap my 500 and 1k bevel setters, and the 1000-grit side for my 4k, 8k and 12k stones.

Top Bottom