What's new

Diamond grit questuon

I've never used diamond grit until yesterday. I tried to put it on the fabric side of my strop. I tried to be careful about adding too much and to rub it all in. The result was a sloppy kind chaotic "mess".

Should I put more on? Wash what's on there off? Not put it on that fabric in the first place?

Thanks in advance.
20201119_132026.jpg

So I went ahead and went forward with this. 50 round trips on the 0.5u pasted fabric. 50 round trips on leather.

I was finally able to get the hairs out of my wife's brush to pop! Shaved and got a great (the best Ive gotten so far) shave.

So unless someone more knowledgeable than me advises against it, I'm going to double the 0.5u paste on the strop. Then paste the other side with the next size up.

I find that more is not necessarily better when it comes to paste though it's also unlikely to hurt, and unfortunately I would advise against pasting the opposite side. The diamond grit is so small that it can and will easily pass through the fibers and you are undoubtedly going to end up with contamination on the finer side. I would suggest balsa or another linen strop for another paste size.

Specifically I recommend balsa, it's cheap and easy to get at hobby stores, and most hardware stores can cut a thin glass base for it which should get you by until you determine which finish is best for you. If that finish is paste then get a sturdier base than 1/8" glass.

Ah, good point with the transfer of particles. I didnt even consider that. This is why its good to ask questions.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to add more paste is that the enirety of the blade doesnt seem to be at the lame level of sharpness according to the hanging hair test. My other concern, however is where the big blotches of paste are. There is a little "gummy" resistnace when stropping. The question now is that the area that is helping or hurting? Not sure yet.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I would suggest to not apply more paste. As you use this pasted strop you will find that the blade's spine will distribute the diamond particles more evenly over the stropping surface. If you want to speed this up, do about a hundred laps on the strop just using the spine of the blade.

The blobs that you see are not diamond particles but rather the oil that diamond particles are suspended in when you applied it. The same effect can be observed when pasting a balsa strop.

Top Bottom