What's new

Dialogue with an antique shop owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we talking about negotiations at a real "Antique" store or just a "Flea Market"? I find there is a big difference when trying to negotiate. The "antique" stores are generally not interested much in negotiating prices. I get better deals and generally better pricing on shaving gear at "flea markets".

@Nicholas with all due respect, I wont presume I have more experience, or more knowledge on anything, but from where I am standing, I see that he is a really good seller, and you a really bad buyer, now hear me out, it seems like you set up yourself for failure because you stated that even before he told you he paid 50 euros you had already decided you were not gonna buy it, and believe me, these shop owners smell that, so he most likely knew you were not buying anything so why would he low ball his stuff anyways? At the end of the day you were the one that walk out empty handed and he...even though didn't make a profit or sell anything...still has the item under his possession and at whatever price, still has value and he still makes a living doing what he does, by the way, you don't have to like any one’s opinion on the matter, is your experience and you know you like the way you handle it, but if you are gonna get all worked up because people don't agree with you, and they don't have to agree with you, then next time just don't post anything, by doing so you pretty much ask for it.

@Nicholas with all due respect, I wont presume I have more experience, or more knowledge on anything, but from where I am standing, I see that he is a really good seller, and you a really bad buyer, now hear me out, it seems like you set up yourself for failure because you stated that even before he told you he paid 50 euros you had already decided you were not gonna buy it, and believe me, these shop owners smell that, so he most likely knew you were not buying anything so why would he low ball his stuff anyways? At the end of the day you were the one that walk out empty handed and he...even though didn't make a profit or sell anything...still has the item under his possession and at whatever price, still has value and he still makes a living doing what he does, by the way, you don't have to like any one’s opinion on the matter, is your experience and you know you like the way you handle it, but if you are gonna get all worked up because people don't agree with you, and they don't have to agree with you, then next time just don't post anything, by doing so you pretty much ask for it.
I read all this in one breath and now I have a breathing problem.

Are we talking about negotiations at a real "Antique" store or just a "Flea Market"? I find there is a big difference when trying to negotiate. The "antique" stores are generally not interested much in negotiating prices. I get better deals and generally better pricing on shaving gear at "flea markets".
Antique stores. And it's true that negotiating is not always an option. Some guys can't get it though because they have not visited one.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think you may be looking at this all wrong. Maybe he's the guy to sell your razor to if he's paying good money for them. :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I take this I think in the spirit of bad business that the op intended without getting into the finer points of negotiation. thats hard to determine without the video of the sale :)
my recent example - not in terms of negotiation however - The new boutique pharmacy and ice cream shop/ soda fountain that recently opened near me had a sign out front advertising flu shots. I called on Sunday to ask if they were open for that on a Sunday. To which she replied..."are you an existing customer?" I said ... "what?" she said, "do you have prescriptions here?" I said "no" and she said "well we are doing flu shots for existing customers". (that wasn't on the sign by the way)
I said .."ok well I am not an existing customer nor will I ever be a future customer. Bye"

This is how I take the alleged antique store vendor in the op description...someone who has enough money and customers to not need to bother with new customers. why be in business?

I recently emailed a "fancy" brush maker and asked if he would sell me a fancy and very expensive handle but with a synthetic knot. He relied, "no". I said ... thanks anyway.

hear that sound ..... $$ not going in your pocket .... sorry for the rant. :)

You don't say.

That's exactly the way to go about it when the asking price is 133% more than what you could give. There is no point to make a counter-offer, the price difference is huge, you just waste two minutes of your time just to see where this craziness goes. Negotiating does not work well when you have a seller that sells overpriced items. You should know that. I'd just waste a lot more than two minutes without results.

@MntnMan62 If you just want to have the final word on everything, I'm not really sure you have a nice day every day. Just saying.

Nope. I don't need to get the last word in. I was just responding to your snide and idiotic comments. And you continue to make them. You don't have to be sure if I have a nice day. You're not really sure of much anyway. Jess sayin'.

Nope. I don't need to get the last word in. I was just responding to your snide and idiotic comments. And you continue to make them. You don't have to be sure if I have a nice day. You're not really sure of much anyway. Jess sayin'.
You must be too old to act like a toddler. Please move on and "grow up". The next time you make any comment about idiotic and such, look at your mirror. All you need to see is there. Thanks and bye. To be ignored from now on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom