What's new

Dialing in Mitchell's Wool Fat

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I have a sample of this coming coming in the mail and I was wondering how hard is it to get the water to soap ratio. I've read post where you have to get it just right and also it has residual slickness like Tabac. For as long as I've been B&B, I've never used it. I'm looking forward to trying it. I don't have a problem with lanolin so that shouldn't bother me.

For me it works better if you bloom it.I pour the bloom water into the brush and then go to work.It likes a lot of water compared to most soaps i own but adding it gradually you'll get a fantastic slick lather.You may get a few air bubbles nothing to worry about just keep working it.One of the best soaps out there IMO.Enjoy.

For me it works better if you bloom it.I pour the bloom water into the brush and then go to work.It likes a lot of water compared to most soaps i own but adding it gradually you'll get a fantastic slick lather.You may get a few air bubbles nothing to worry about just keep working it.One of the best soaps out there IMO.Enjoy.

I soaked my Mitchell’s and it’s now sort of in a perpetual state of “bloomed”. I let it dry after I shave for about 15 mins, and then put the lid on.

I soaked my Mitchell’s and it’s now sort of in a perpetual state of “bloomed”. I let it dry after I shave for about 15 mins, and then put the lid on.
I hadn't used it in over a year and it had dried out and was going to throw it away it was useless.Someone suggested soaking it for a few days just covering the soap.I did it and it came back to life got one of the best lathers i've ever had it just needed to absorb water.Weird.IMO one of the best soaps out there bar none.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I don’t give it any special treatment. Even if I haven’t used it regularly, a just damp brush and boom…great lather. I had difficulty with a previous puck, but this puck is user friendly. It’s one of my easiest soaps to lather.

I use it daily. I start with a damp, almost dry brush, load for a minute and then add water a bit at a time until I get the texture I want. When I’m done, I leave the puck damp. If I miss a day shaving, I put just a dab of water on the puck. The Fat does not like being ignored.

We had some dodgy pucks in the spring of 2020 that defied being lathered, but since then they have been fine.

MWF is a thirsty soap that hydrates slowly. It's best to keep the puck slightly moist (not wet) so it doesn't shrink and crack. Load heavily with a wet brush. If I go too long without using it I trickle water on top of the puck to keep it moist.

I build lather in a (cold) scuttle slowly adding water until the lather is smooth and shiny. If it's not shiny, it's not ready. It takes longer than most soaps because it hydrates so slowly.

I always get a great shave this way.

Grate it and press it...not too tight. Leave a bit of water on it overnight to absorb and it'll explode any time a wet brush touches it. This will work with any finicky soap.

Or, if you prefer not to grate it, just soak the puck for a few days, but seeing as you're only trying a sample you might as well grate it

Last edited:
Reactions: Anu
+1 on the hydration idea. I add a spoonful or two of water to MWF a few days before it comes up in my rotation. Even after that it usually takes a few days of daily use to settle down. After it's hydrated, your brush doesn't need to be especially wet. But hard water can be a problem. Some guys use distilled water. But it's worth all the trouble, a mild soap with beautiful lather and a delicate scent.

14 replies and basically 14 different ideas… lol 😆

my suggestion: don’t do anything different than what you do with other soaps. Then, go from there. If it’s too dry, add more water. If it’s too bubbly, start with less water next time. If the lather disappears, your water might be the culprit

PS: I don’t hydrate my pucks as the folks above, and I think hydrating a sample is nonsense

I also say use it every day, keeping it covered/moist between shaves. It also works really well if you rub it directly on your wet face like a shave stick then lather up. A wonderful product when you figure out how it works best for you.

If Mitchell's soap works for you then it works for you, simple as that.

I don't bloom it, don't use it regularly and don't treat it any different from my other soaps.

We have hard water here, too much scaling and whatnot but all my soaos work as well, only Wickham needs special care in hydration level.

Water must play some role in lather quality but usually Mitchell's soap works fine in any condition for me.

In my experience with “The Fat”, I needed to load it significantly longer than ALL of my other stuff like Speick, Tabac, and Palmolive. If I didn’t, I would end up with foamy bubbles. The Fat is nice, but was just not worth the extra work for me.

I generally hate the term, but in this case, YMMV holds true.

Top Bottom