What's new

“Dialing Back” on my adjustable, trying a cheap 3-piece.

If anyone has seen my comments, they know of my deep fuzzy’s for my Merkur Progress. It has been my one and only for at least 4 years.
I can shave with it in my sleep nowadays and still get near perfect results every time.
But boredom is a funny thing. It makes you do things like eat when you shouldn’t, or shop when you don’t need to.
I noticed as I perfected my technique that I never strayed off of setting #2 as the perfect balance of efficiency vs. mildness.
Then I saw an ad on Amazon for a simple Chinese 3-piece that looked nice, got great reviews, and boasted a solid brass handle.
$14
I had to try it.
I am surprised so far. It is super smooth and mild, and gives 4/5 the quality of shave as my beloved Progress. I’m going easy with it until I learn it.
The look and feel gives every bit the impression of $60-$100 German razors I’ve owned or tried.
Time will tell if first impressions are deceiving.
4C028B26-DCF9-4C9E-946A-A39632732AA6.jpeg
834576C0-E1AD-48E5-B7ED-04900AC4FB1B.jpeg
862605B4-CEFF-4D23-A856-456D1E9377CF.jpeg
EEFAD6C5-B52D-4150-8A0C-353F50C4B54C.jpeg

Attachments

• 7A1DD613-E975-4ABA-B05E-D9537673791C.jpeg
    7A1DD613-E975-4ABA-B05E-D9537673791C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
The head looks like another DE89 clone so should be similar to the Barberpole in shave performance, the handle is shorter though. Could be your travel razor if you needed one. My EJ DE89 usually goes in the Dopp bag when travelling.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Looks like you scored a nice razor for a very reasonable price. :)

Along similar lines, I use a $10 no name razor with a Merkur top cap as my travel razor. Mild and consistent - don't need weepers or irritation on the road. ;)
shave 20200118.jpg

If it gets lost, lifted or broken, it's not the end of the world.

Kind of interesting.

Took me awhile but I finally followed the standard B&B advice of using the same things for a couple months to get better technique.

After that, really no razor is a trick anymore; once technique is good I guess you can shave with most anything.

Glad you found another keeper man, congrats!

Thanks for the replies! ;)
I’ll stick with this one for a little while to see if I can hone the technique for it. The blade on the Progress is held tightly at a steep curve which is I’m sure a big part of why it is so smooth and efficient.
The blade angle on this type of head is more shallow, allowing for more flex as well, meaning I’ll have to adjust the angle at which I hold it or else it will be a rougher ride.
E82246E3-99DE-4DFC-B4B8-F0D31130545C.jpeg

That could be a King C Gillette Mk3 trail; Muhle clone head with a Merkur clone handle; they are testing the market. Production versions will have "KCG" etched on the caps and it will come in a presentation case. 🤣🤣

That could be a King C Gillette Mk3 trail; Muhle clone head with a Merkur clone handle; they are testing the market. Production versions will have "KCG" etched on the caps and it will come in a presentation case. 🤣🤣
I wouldn’t doubt it! LOL!

Nice score! The de89 is a very smooth, mild razor. I imagine this inexpensive clone will deliver very nice shaves for you once dialed in.

Amazon sometimes has a rebate on Edwin Jagger and Muhle....they tend to go fast. I grabbed an EJ 2 weeks ago, with some knurling, very nice shaver....(had a flat one that now will inherit to my brother). I'll pass on anything China.
Merkur Progress was my first DE and will always keep it (have the long one)

I’m slowly getting a handle on this new razor and it’s very effective, but I still love my Progress. The most comfortable razor I’ve ever used next to my barber pole 38c.
There is just something about the Merkur standard head designs. ;)

PS: First impressions were a bit deceiving as it turns out. This DE89 Clone has a bite to it if you’re not very careful.
very slick soap (Tabac in my case), fresh blades, and a very light touch are needed with this razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom