What's new

Diagonal?

I saw this old Gillette shaving instruction on a thread about the Ranger Tech over in the safety razor sub.

Figure 2 says to shave with a diagonal stroke.
Does anyone do this? Seems dangerous, like slicing a ham...
Maybe I'm just not reading it right?

GilShv.jpg

I've heard some say it helps them get to BBS with certain razors. I don't bother to do it, but I also don't chase BBS. I don't think it's as dangerous as it looks.

I think the image is just drawn poorly. The razor should be drawn squared to the direction of the diagonal if that makes sense. The side edges of the razor should line up with the diagonal line drawn on the face. I shave diagonally kind of cross grain to get a certain area of my face. The way i see it, any direction is fine as long as the blade is still cutting or (bad word but it give you the idea) scraping in the same direction and you aren't slicing. The way the image is drawn look like a slice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I do that, head skewed slightly to the direction of travel. It's the only way I can get a reasonable finish in my neck crease directly below the goatee. Not something I would recommend to new shavers though.

Some call it a scything stroke and this is used for straight shaving as well.
It is explained in the Barbering manuals as the best way to cut the hair. Like cutting anything instead of pushing straight down use a slicing motion for the most efficiency.
It does not need to be extreme to be effective.

I just tried that this morning! Here's a pic:

image_zps7df5acd5.jpg

Actually, the Gillette Slide works, in much the same way slant razors work, but if you decide to try it out start with a really mild razor like a Tech.

If I ever try it I’ll be sure to tie a note around my neck with my blood type and emergency contacts.

Thanks for the info everyone.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Just don't do it in reverse. IE, don't go against the grain in the diagonal stroke. My face was not impressed.

So, Gillette marketed the four minute shave if I remember. This technique might have been a substitute for multiple passes, which many of us use, enjoy, and prefer.

One of the most effective techniques I’ve found for cutting is to keep the razor in the fingers allowing a rotating motion rather than a stiff, forward movement.

My bad, sir. Please accept my apology. I am sorry. The text I used was from a few screen shots of literature posted on another forum which had supporting images in between clearly taken from the manual you have quoted.

It was listing some advanced techniques and claims the guillotine or cutting stroke as you show can be more prone to slicing the skin, along with some other benefits of adding in the scything motion.

I think their use of the older manual’s imagery is what caused my mistake in not quoting the source properly.

F94224D0-B1FB-4492-8288-F0183506011D.png 9736AB9A-F094-4317-913A-33D5B0159972.png

My bad, sir. Please accept my apology. I am sorry. The text I used was from a few screen shots of literature posted on another forum which had supporting images in between clearly taken from the manual you have quoted.

It was listing some advanced techniques and claims the guillotine or cutting stroke as you show can be more prone to slicing the skin, along with some other benefits of adding in the scything motion.

I think their use of the older manual’s imagery is what caused my mistake in not quoting the source properly.

View attachment 933545 View attachment 933546

No worries, Mine is from 1950 and the same original manual beginning in 1931 (first edition) would state the same.
There are many "manuals" out there that are not recognized by the profession. Actually all of them with the exception of this one.
Written by Barbers for the Barber profession specifically, not that others will not offer good information but this one was the One that was used.

That was later called the Gillette slide. It was supposed to imitate a slant razor. Here is another set of instructions:

proxy.php

Gillette has always recommended shaving with diagonal strokes although in later instructions the illustration was left out. Here are the instructions for the 195 adjustable now known as the Fat Boy.
proxy.php

Makes sense. Seems very similar to what the angled blades on certain razors do. Slices the hairs instead of chopping them. Instead of the head of your razor flexing the blade to have it contacting your face diagonally, you're just using the whole razor to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying it in a few places on my face using my post war Tech.
No nicks or cuts. It doesn’t seem to make any real difference on the quality of the shave though. The Astra SP cuts well regardless...

I have such an odd beard map that there are only a few places that I can do it.

Top Bottom