What's new

Devs-Caps & Pierre McGuire

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Watching my beloved NJ Devils on a RARE NBC national (default) broadcast & wouldn’t you know that they have Pierre ‘Mr. Trivia Pursuit’ McGuire doing the color ... UGhh! The name-dropping, useless-info-filled McGuire just will not shut his nauseating pie hole.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Hasn't Celine Dion played in Las Vegas every night for the past 27 years? I'd say we've got her.

Tell Jay Baruchel to send us more GOON films.
Highlanders!
Highlanders!
Highlanders!

shoelessjoe

Yep, we were so happy here in Canada when he left TSN to go to the states.
And in so doing he, sadly, improved the hockey lot of both countries.

Yes, he's insufferable & quite possibly the only thing worse than me with a keyboard.

Owen Bawn

I miss Mike Emrick. There, I've said it. NBC should have opened the purse and offered Chris Cuthbert a barrel of money to come to our side of the big lakes when Doc retired.

I miss Mike Emrick. There, I've said it. NBC should have opened the purse and offered Chris Cuthbert a barrel of money to come to our side of the big lakes when Doc retired.

You want us to come down there and burn the White House to the ground again?!? You keep your paws off Cuthbert. That man is a National treasure.

We might consider a waiver deal for Jim Hughson.

Owen Bawn

You want us to come down there and burn the White House to the ground again?!? You keep your paws off Cuthbert. That man is a National treasure.

We might consider a waiver deal for Jim Hughson.
Cuthbert is one of the finest play by play men ever in both hockey and football. I can't imagine watching the CFL without him- he adds such value to the game.

Last edited:
Hasn't Celine Dion played in Las Vegas every night for the past 27 years? I'd say we've got her.

Tell Jay Baruchel to send us more GOON films.
Highlanders!
Highlanders!
Highlanders!
The first one is a classic. Even my 75 year old dad was in hysterics watching it. Worth watching just for the fight scenes and commentators alone.

shoelessjoe

I know he improved it here when he left but in the US as well? Just how bad are the telecasts of hockey in the US that he's an improvement?
Well, as of two seasons ago, you still had Colorado Divealanche fans not only booing linesmen every time they raised their arm (mistaking said arm for a delayed call), but also throwing their lids on the ice if an Av skater’s shootout goal just happened to be the third time they lit the lamp, so to speak.

McGuire does bring a lot of knowledge to the game & when he’s trapped between the glass & kept on a short mic, he can be quite insightful. Just lock him out of the booth & away from anything Pittsburgh(& especially S. Crosby)-related and he becomes a halfway decent analyst.

Owen Bawn

The idea that the Stanley Cup is in Florida makes me sick to me stomach. My NHL would have the Original 6, the newer Canadian clubs, the American clubs that came in 67 (dumping Dallas and restoring them to Minnesota), Columbus, Buffalo, Washington, and this new Kraken team. I'd blow up the rest of them. In fact I'd force your Denver club back to Quebec City.

shoelessjoe

...(dumping Dallas and restoring them to Minnesota) In fact I'd force your Denver club back to Quebec City.

Umm, that’s not my Denver club! :)

And leave Dallas alone if for no other reason than they kept that “Denver club” & Patsy Roy out of the Finals on a couple different occasions with stellar play from the likes of former Fighting Sioux, Eddie Belfour!

I can still hear those echos from Reunion Arena: EDDIE’S BETTER!! EDDIE’S BETTER!! EDDIE’S BETTER!!!

Kind of surprised you didn’t want the Devils exiled back to KC??

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just how bad are the telecasts of hockey in the US that he's an improvement?
1614211556488.png

giphy-1.gif

Owen Bawn

The idea that the Stanley Cup is in Florida makes me sick to me stomach. My NHL would have the Original 6, the newer Canadian clubs, the American clubs that came in 67 (dumping Dallas and restoring them to Minnesota), Columbus, Buffalo, Washington, and this new Kraken team. I'd blow up the rest of them. In fact I'd force your Denver club back to Quebec City.
Umm, that’s not my Denver club! :)

And leave Dallas alone if for no other reason than they kept that “Denver club” & Patsy Roy out of the Finals on a couple different occasions with stellar play from the likes of former Fighting Sioux, Eddie Belfour!

I can still hear those echos from Reunion Arena: EDDIE’S BETTER!! EDDIE’S BETTER!! EDDIE’S BETTER!!!

Kind of surprised you didn’t want the Devils exiled back to KC??
OMG THAT REMINDS ME-- I FORGOT TO BRING BACK THE WHALERS!!!

shoelessjoe

@Bakker1964 ... those original Pens sweaters w/that Penguin logo were great! I ordered an optional set of stamped metal, Pittsburgh players for a table top hockey game because of those blue uniforms ... Detroit & Toronto must have been the (Coleco?) factory default teams, as seemingly, every game I ever saw featured those two clubs.

Back in the day, dad had a friend who owned & operated a restaurant-night club in Chicago that was called, The Cottage. The walls in the joint were covered with autographed photos, jerseys & equipment, as it was a popular hangout for the Bears & Blackhawks and also their opponents when they came to town.

One Saturday evening we went their for dinner & afterwords, the owner comes over to the table & asked the old man if “I was a hockey fan”? He disappeared, then returned a couple minutes later & handed me a Northland hockey stick which not only read, Andrea Lie No. 5, but also had all of Andrea’s teammates & coaches signatures scrawled up & down the shaft.

Naturally, being a hockey playing 8-year-old, whose limited vocabulary did not include the word, collectable, I used the oversized Northland in countless games of shinny & this despite the fact that Andrea was a southpaw & I was not.

Eventually, all the autographs wore off & the stick, which also saw occasional street hockey action, became a tattered mess & was discarded.

Well, it turns out that Paul Andrea, a winger, was picked up by Penguins in their inaugural season & my stick just happened to be autographed by everyone on that 1967-68 team.

As a young pre-teen, I didn’t mourn the loss of that Northland, but the same couldn’t be said in 1991 after Pittsburgh won their first Cup & I, as an adult, began wondering how many $s that pristeen Andrea Northland would have been commanded :c17:

Back to Pittsburgh uniforms ... my favorite ones are the black sweaters with the diagonal Pittsburgh spelled out on them.

Owen Bawn

@Bakker1964 ... those original Pens sweaters w/that Penguin logo were great! I ordered an optional set of stamped metal, Pittsburgh players for a table top hockey game because of those blue uniforms ... Detroit & Toronto must have been the (Coleco?) factory default teams, as seemingly, every game I ever saw featured those two clubs.

Back in the day, dad had a friend who owned & operated a restaurant-night club in Chicago that was called, The Cottage. The walls in the joint were covered with autographed photos, jerseys & equipment, as it was a popular hangout for the Bears & Blackhawks and also their opponents when they came to town.

One Saturday evening we went their for dinner & afterwords, the owner comes over to the table & asked the old man if “I was a hockey fan”? He disappeared, then returned a couple minutes later & handed me a Northland hockey stick which not only read, Andrea Lie No. 5, but also had all of Andrea’s teammates & coaches signatures scrawled up & down the shaft.

Naturally, being a hockey playing 8-year-old, whose limited vocabulary did not include the word, collectable, I used the oversized Northland in countless games of shinny & this despite the fact that Andrea was a southpaw & I was not.

Eventually, all the autographs wore off & the stick, which also saw occasional street hockey action, became a tattered mess & was discarded.

Well, it turns out that Paul Andrea, a winger, was picked up by Penguins in their inaugural season & my stick just happened to be autographed by everyone on that 1967-68 team.

As a young pre-teen, I didn’t mourn the loss of that Northland, but the same couldn’t be said in 1991 after Pittsburgh won their first Cup & I, as an adult, began wondering how many $s that pristeen Andrea Northland would have been commanded :c17:

Back to Pittsburgh uniforms ... my favorite ones are the black sweaters with the diagonal Pittsburgh spelled out on them.
We should compare our lists of the All Century Penguins Team- the 100 Greatest Penguins of the Twentieth Century. I'm sure you have a great list. Where do you have Duane Rupp on your list? I have him at 51. Of course, I'm sure you agree with me that Wally Boyer belongs somewhere between 59 and 63 on the list. My friend has Boyer at 53. Imagine that? Boyer at FIFTY-THREE??!!??!?!? Obviously my friend knows NOTHING about hockey.

By the way-- where have you rated Andy Bathgate on your list?

Top Bottom