What's new

Developing Problem with SMF Forum Brush

(Also posted on SMF.com)

I hate to bring up this subject again, but now I've found that the top edge of the wood handle on the SMF brush is starting to wear off in a few places. Basically, it looks like small pits have developed in the wood coating.

Perhaps this may come from soaking the brush in very hot water? Needless to say, I find this quite upsetting because I otherwise love the brush, which happens to be my first and only premium badger. Frankly, I don't think I should have to go through the trouble and expense of mailing it back to Germany, not to mention that I will then be without any brush for weeks. And who's to say that this won't happen again?

I would hope and expect that Bernd would do the right thing (like many other manufacturers do) by sending me out a replacement and then allow me to send mine back. I guess I'll have to email him and see.

I hope I don't come off as an ingrate or whiner - I just don't think this kind of defect is acceptable for a supposedly fine hand-made product of this caliber. I know a few others had the same problem, and I wouldn't be surprised if many other brushes start to show the same wear sooner or later.

- Brad

Sorry to hear that. I soak my brush, but try to keep the handle out of the water. I am going to inspect mine closely tonight and see if anything looks out of the ordinary, but I suspect I would have seen something if it was there. Good luck with Bernd, and keep us posted.

InjuryLaw said:
Frankly, I don't think I should have to go through the trouble and expense of mailing it back to Germany

Really...................but you took the time to annoy us about this issue again. Last time I checked bernd was not a member here and would not be able to answere any questions you might have about your brush. So please spare us all with your complaints and talk to the man who can do something for you. I think I speak for quite a few of us when I say were tired of hearing you ***** and moan.

honkdonker said:
Thanks for the update, InjuryLaw. I have waited to see how these brushes would turn out before I ordered one. It is unfortunate that you are having problems with your brush.

InjuryLaw, I don't think you are "bitching and moaning"; in fact, I think this is amng the rudest things I have seen expressed on any of the major shaving boards, especially by a moderator. I would hope that this is not the tone that is to be set on this board, because it has a lot of potential.

Attacks such as this do not seem to follow the spirit of the opening greeting on this board. As a member, I am very disappointed.

With only 5 posts you obviously have not been around here long and I dont recall ever seeing you around smf either but I dont have the best memory. Your right this site does have alot of potential and will continue to grow regardless of this incident or what you say. Moderator or not......if mother marry read this forum or the pope for that matter and new of this guys posting history they would have the same thing to say as well. This has been discussed here before and the real harm here is this guy's nonsense. By all means, order you a smf brush if you want.....out of all the brush's that were made its not uncommon that a few might have problems but the other question is how do we know this guy isnt abusing the brush by exposing it to scolding hot water. All this guys post do when it concerns this brush is belittle Joel and bernd and im not going to have it. MODERATOR OR NOT!!!!!

gage0921 said:
With only 5 posts you obviously have not been around here long and I dont recall ever seeing you around smf either but I dont have the best memory. Your right this site does have alot of potential and will continue to grow regardless of this incident or what you say. Moderator or not......if mother marry read this forum or the pope for that matter and new of this guys posting history they would have the same thing to say as well. This has been discussed here before and the real harm here is this guy's nonsense. By all means, order you a smf brush if you want.....out of all the brush's that were made its not uncommon that a few might have problems but the other question is how do we know this guy isnt abusing the brush by exposing it to scolding hot water. All this guys post do when it concerns this brush is belittle Joel and bernd and im not going to have it. MODERATOR OR NOT!!!!!

Honk has been around quite a while. You need to relax man. Nobody is trying to belittle anybody, he was just trying to express a concern. Relax. I agree, he ought to contact Bernd as well, but I don't see any malice here...

The kid may moan a bit, I don't know, but why can't he review or comment on a shaving brush. It's his first big brush and he's looking for some feedback. A lot comment on the English brushes and those firms are not, as I know, members of these forums. I love one of my shavemac brushes, not the other, big deal. Great start.

Max

InjuryLawI just don't think this kind of defect is acceptable for a supposedly fine hand-made product of this caliber.[/QUOTE said:
You dont feel this is an attack...................This is the second time it has been brought up from this particular individual and he received the same response (not so harshly) and yet he still eggs it on. Im not denying his brush might have a flaw but with all the drama that surrounds this brush on the web wouldnt it be a smart idea to maybe pm the particular person he is trying to reach with this or go about it differently. He is a member here but he posts this knowing the negative effect it will have. I have spoke my peace

Guys,

Seriously, this is absurd.

Brad, don't you think the best venue for your concern would be going straight to Bernd first? Then coming here with your concerns if he didn't answer them fully? Airing them publically without first trying to resolve them doesn't seem COMPLETELY koser. A thread with "I had problems and Bernd sure had great customer service" or "I had problems and Bernd didn't address them despite me contacting him" are a lot more useful.

Sean, I understand your zeal, and we have seen this issue before, but I think we all need to take a breather.

-Nick

I agree with Nick. It would be much more meaningful to the rest of us if individuals posted the vendor's response to an issue instead of posting prior to contacting them. I know Bernd will support his product.

Brad,
I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. I look forward to your giving us an update once you've corresponded with Bernd!

Take care,

Mike, you bring up a good point about the Vulfix brush. It seems their problems are intermittant and in lots of production. True, problems with brushes have been discussed before on the two forums.

B&B welcomes discussion of all products and problems. Hopefully, we can see resolution to Brad's problem in an expediant manner.

Lets move on.

Well - I guess I am a little confused... I had posted multiple times that I didn't think it would be a good idea to put these in boiling hot pot water up to the wood... I dunno if that caused the problem - but I guess what really throws me for a loop, is why this was posted publically, before speaking with Bernd, and more importantly - why it was posted on BOTH forums.... seems a bit odd.

I dunno - I guess I don't really care, but it has always been a peeve of mine to dislike when others had complaints and such and bring them to the public's attention before, or at the same time they contact the retailer.

joel said:
why this was posted publically, before speaking with Bernd, and more importantly - why it was posted on BOTH forums.... seems a bit odd.

Joel, I agree with you, and I don't agree with you. Here's why:
I think that this is a matter that needed to be addressed with Bernd and then the results possibly posted.
I don't see it as odd that he posted it on this forum and SMF.com. he is obviously a member of both and he knows that there are members of both forums who happen to have purchased this brush and may not be on both forums. he is just getting his opinion out to as many people that can relate to him.
I do relate to him as I have the same problem. I just choose not to correct it. I first noticed this when I opened the box and looked for it due to not receiving my brush until late (thanks FedEx) and I had read of this issue on another members brush. I decided that I enjoyed this brush enough that I chose to live with it, as it is not a big deal. It's not anything that I feel will deteriorate any faster than any other brush I own. I only noticed it because I went looking for it.
I admire Bernd for building this brush, and Joel for putting it all together so that we could have the opportunity to own one. I am in no way displeased, or upset at anyone. I use it in my rotation and will continue to do so as long as there is one tiny hair left to lather with. (picture that one :001_tt2: )

Good day,
Allen

Whatever the merits are of the points made in regard to the original post in this thread, the one thing obvious in this thread is that gage0921 is not fit to be a moderator. He should either voluntarily step down or be removed. Moderators should be held to a higher level, and his postings were mean, spiteful, outrageous, and thoroughly inexcusable.

Dave T

Gentlemen:

Bernd had replied to me before that he would be happy to reimburse the shipping paid to replace the brush. I'm sure that he will do the same for Brad.

I applied some tung oil to the brush as a quick fix. At this point the tung oil repels water from the wood, and seems to be working out pretty well...

Let us end this issue, and move on.

-Dan

gage0921 said:
Really...................but you took the time to annoy us about this issue again. Last time I checked bernd was not a member here and would not be able to answere any questions you might have about your brush. So please spare us all with your complaints and talk to the man who can do something for you. I think I speak for quite a few of us when I say were tired of hearing you ***** and moan.

WOW- If this is the tone being set at this forum -BY THE MODERATORS NO LESS- you can count me out. This site seems to be devolving already.

Craig

Craig_In_Cincy said:
WOW- If this is the tone being set at this forum -BY THE MODERATORS NO LESS- you can count me out. This site seems to be devolving already.

Craig

Craig,
Everyone has a bad day/week we are all only human. Gage is a wonderful guy, and meant no harm. These SMF shaving brushes seem to be an overly hot, sensitive topic. Personally I think the whole mess has gotten WAY too much attention and to me it is old, boring news. I am VERY much over it. I am here to have fun, talk shaving and enjoy my time here - hopefully everyone else is here for the same reasons. I understand your sentiments, but think you might be a bit hasty... a moderator is nothing "special" - simply another member of the forum JUST like you. Remember - here, you have as much say as ANY moderator, including me.

Personally - I say kick back, relax and lets all have a beer and get back to the fun stuff! Squabbles no matter HOW right or wrong are always just an unnecessary deviation.

I say F-it and lets move on! :a17:

Great advice Joel!

Perhaps i was a bit hasty, the post just really rubbed my the wrong way. Sorry.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend. Let's pray for those poor souls on the Gulf Coast.

Craig

Craig, I hope you stick around. Every place has its growing pains, and this is shaping up to be a super site with a great bunch of guys.

Yes...........I was way out of line and should have my head examined.....one of those days......my sincerest apologies.

Top Bottom