What's new

deterioration of blades...

I am planing of making a bigger supply of SE (gem type and injector) blades for the next few years (since shipping is steep and I have to order from across the world).
Will there be any problem in 5 years time using 5 year old blades?
I think: "definitely not", but just to be on the safe side.:smile:

Put it this way - UK-made Wilkinson Sword blades get a lot of love here even now. The UK plant was closed in 1999, so at least 10 years.

I am planing of making a bigger supply of SE (gem type and injector) blades for the next few years (since shipping is steep and I have to order from across the world).
A fair question, to be sure.

As others have already pointed out, as long as you keep your blades sealed and dry, you will be fine. I shave with blades made in the 70's, and have had no issues whatsoever with blades aging or deteriorating.

Not too long ago I rediscovered a package of dutch Schick blades that belonged to my grandfather who died in 1985. They were in a box together with mostly books so no problems with humidity for sure.
I don't know how they shaved when they were new but they are still great.
When I discover a great blade I usually order larger numbers and when my favourite vendor re-stocks my favourite blade I am planning on getting another 1,000 or so to join my humble 1,000-ish stock.
No, I am not worried about deterioration....

You might want to get one of those Silica Gel Desiccant packets. People use them to store their coins or firearms in a dry environment. Most come with a humidity indicator to tell when they need to be renewed. They are cheap and can be renewed by heating in a kitchen oven for a couple of hours to drive out the moisture in the gel.

Steve

I'm glad somebody asked this question. I have 200 derbys stored away, just in case the DE market dies. I'm probably good for about 4-5 years with these. Still, I feel like I need to stock up on some more (I'm thinking astras next). I'm glad to hear that they'll keep their edge long term.

I would start hording your favorite blades now, especially if they are made by Gillette.

+1 to this. I have found it is best to hoard any blade that you like. I have seen quite a few go out of existence in my short history of DE shaving.

I keep mine in one of those lock and lock containers designed for bread, the size is perfect for carded blade packs and you can get a large number of smaller packs inside as well.

Top Bottom