What's new

Detailing the brush handle

I was cleaning my 2006 B&B brush (finest, ebony, my only brush) tonight and noticed that the handle is pretty "gunky" looking.. Either hard water stains or soap scum. I'm wondering what a good method is to clean it and bring it back to its original beauty? I'm afraid of a) taking off the lettering and b) damaging the hair with chemicals or abrasives. Any ideas?

Give it a wash with shampoo or dish soap. Use a toothbrush to remove the soap residue around the base. Rinse. Soak brush in a cup of vinegar and water for about a minute then rinse.

The toothbrush and soap had been tried and didn't have much effect on the gunk. Maybe a longer soaking time would have helped? I'll give the vinegar a shot, after I buy some vinegar :wink:

If you're just cleaning the handle, try CLR and an old toothbrush. I would not recommend you come into contact with the hair, but I have used CLR in the past to soap scum off razors with much success. Be sure and rinse liberally afterward.

Would you guys consider me weird if I admitted that I used an automotive paint cleaner (Autoglym Super Resin Polish) to clean the handle? :blush:

No?

How about if, after using said cleaner, I decided I liked the results and decided to apply a coat of Collinite wax to the handle? Their Super Doublecoat 476s wax.. said to be detergent (read: shaving soap) proof :blushing:

I have one shiney brush handle now! :w00t:

Would you guys consider me weird if I admitted that I used an automotive paint cleaner (Autoglym Super Resin Polish) to clean the handle? :blush:

No?

How about if, after using said cleaner, I decided I liked the results and decided to apply a coat of Collinite wax to the handle? Their Super Doublecoat 476s wax.. said to be detergent (read: shaving soap) proof :blushing:

I have one shiney brush handle now! :w00t:

Pics.

We need Pictures.

-- John Gehman

Imagine shiney black plast... faux ebony! And shiney chrome. My hope is that the wax will help slow down the gunkifying process.

I used scrubbing bubbles and a soft toothbrush to clean the soap scum off my Shavemac handle. It took a while. After that, I started wiping down my brush handles with a towel after every use. They look continuously showroom-new, even the faux ebony ones.

Top Bottom