What's new

Detail strip PDF?

I didn't see any threads on detail stripping of any pistols so I thought - who else to ask by the brethren here?

Does anyone have any links to instructions to detail strip a Sig 1911, M&P9 2.0. and HK vp9 preferably in a pdf (non video)?
If any other pistol can be added for future reference please feel free to add a link for it.

Thanks

I used you tube to learn to field strip but I feel I will need the gun in front of me and pause a lot while watching a video.
Per your recommendation I find myself in possession (well, ordered but not here yet.) A M&P9 2.0 and HK vp9 (sfp9 here in Canada).
The M&P has almost been 3 months since initial ordering. I JUST ordered the HK last week.
I'm lovin it!

How often do you detail strip your pistols? I clean well with a field strip after every outing.

Personally, I find detail stripping (and by detail stripping I mean taking the pistol down well beyong a field strip) of any pistol to be unnecessary, and it's certainly something I wouldn't recommend for someone who hasn't even acquired the pistols yet. I realize it's a "guy" thing to constantly tinker and fiddle around with things, but you might want to sit on your hands for a bit. Gun manufacturers are well aware of this habit. The first question they'll ask if your having a problem with a pistol is "have you attempted to take those parts apart?" At first, it's kind of insulting to hear that, but it's a valid point. Generally, field stripping and cleaning is all a good pistol will need.

This is just friendly advice, and is not intended as a slam against you, or what you ultimately decide to do. Who knows? Maybe there's a gunsmith in you waiting to come out!:wink2:

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I find detail stripping (and by detail stripping I mean taking the pistol down well beyong a field strip) of any pistol to be unnecessary, and it's certainly something I wouldn't recommend for someone who hasn't even acquired the pistols yet. I realize it's a "guy" thing to constantly tinker and fiddle around with things, but you might want to sit on your hands for a bit. Gun manufacturers are well aware of this habit. The first question they'll ask if your having a problem with a pistol is "have you attempted to take those parts apart?" At first, it's kind of insulting to hear that, but it's a valid point. Generally, field stripping and cleaning is all a good pistol will need.

This is just friendly advice, and is not intended as a slam against you, or what you ultimately decide to do. Who knows? Maybe there's a gunsmith in you waiting to come out!:wink2:

Don

I currently possess a Sig 1911 and have been using it for a couple months, roughly 500 rounds through it.
I was just curious what others recommend as there are quite a few knowledgeable members regarding firearms here.
I have no intention of jumping into it unless necessary and I wouldn't think it would be till around the 3000 mark but again I ask those that possess and know.

Last edited by a moderator:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Detail strip? Very rarely. Field strip every once in a while. Swab the bore, brush off the extractor, general wipe down, fairly often.

Detail strip? Very rarely. Field strip every once in a while. Swab the bore, brush off the extractor, general wipe down, fairly often.

I'm not sure I could omit field stripping after an outing.
I am a little OCD with tools and such, straight razor user/honer etc.
I feel it is part of using such items and thoroughly enjoying them.
Its just my nature.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I didn't see any threads on detail stripping of any pistols so I thought - who else to ask by the brethren here?

Does anyone have any links to instructions to detail strip a Sig 1911, M&P9 2.0. and HK vp9 preferably in a pdf (non video)?
If any other pistol can be added for future reference please feel free to add a link for it.

Thanks

Way to go on also getting the VP9 and M&P9! There's probably not a real need to worry about detail stripping them for quite a while. I have over 3000 rounds through my VP9 and over 3500 through my VP9SK. There's still no need for me to even consider to field strip them. I try to clean my guns after each range session, but sometimes with my pistols, I'll go a couple of sessions before I do. A few times, I've used an air compressor to blow everything out after scrubbing everything down with cleaner, but before wiping it down and lubing. That really seems to help clean out all of the debris and fouling from the parts that are difficult to reach with a rag/Q-tip/pipe cleaner. Regular cleaning and maintenance should be fine for quite a while.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm not sure I could omit field stripping after an outing.
I am a little OCD with tools and such, straight razor user/honer etc.
I feel it is part of using such items and thoroughly enjoying them.
Its just my nature.

I was the same way for a while. Carbon steel, straight razors, old guns, etc. need to be diligently maintained. Combat pistols, on the other hand, are designed to be put through a great amount of abuse.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The 1911 is fairly easy to detail strip. When I was shooting one regularly, I must admit that I took it down far more frequently than I do the pistols that I now currently shoot most often. You can't treat a 1911 like you can a Glock. The 1911 I would field strip just about after every significant shooting session. Still I would only detail strip very infrequently, usually only when changing out parts or replacing springs, etc.
The SIG P365 is not intended to be detail stripped at all. Just field stripped.

I've used an air compressor to blow everything out after scrubbing everything down with cleaner, but before wiping it down and lubing.

I do this as well. I clean after every use.
I use G96 for cleaning and finish with blowing everything out so there is not too much remaining to collect debris.
Perhaps if I do that I will never need to detail strip.

This is interesting input.

I turned around one day and was shocked to find I became a Glock Fanboy! I was always carrying one of their slimline pistols. So I just gave into it And sold off my HK’s and all but two of my Walther’s. Why? I think aside from accuracy, fit and how reliable it is, a lot had to do with how easy it is for me to detail strip the weapon and change out parts as needed when needed.

I like knowing my tools from the bottom up. It inspires confidence in me that I can trouble shoot my tools. I advocate getting to know your tools on that level. Its not rocket science.

Maybe I’m like that because I can’t fix my car anymore.

I turned around one day and was shocked to find I became a Glock Fanboy! I was always carrying one of their slimline pistols. So I just gave into it And sold off my HK’s and all but two of my Walther’s.

I know glocks are simple, accurate and dependable but I don't like the trigger or feel in the hand(although I shot it quite well) near as much as the M&P and the HK. I've yet to shoot either of the two but they feel great in the hand and seem to be liked by many.

I agree with knowing your tools well and feel its just part of the process.

Great thread idea. I don't have any blow-ups for those particular guns, but'll dig around for any others.

The first step is the same for any pistol detail stripping: Ensure the dremmel is out of sight.

Great thread idea. I don't have any blow-ups for those particular guns, but'll dig around for any others.

The first step is the same for any pistol detail stripping: Ensure the dremmel is out of sight.

Thanks, I thought so.
They don't seem readily available and it would be nice to have it all in one spot for reference especially if it was indexed at the beginning of the thread.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
But, dirt!

Urge is there, even on low mileage range toys.

AA

Exactly. I'll even be the heretic in the room and say; the more you regularly field strip and clean a pistol "especially" a striker fired pistol with a striker pin channel, the more often you will want to do a detailed strip of the weapon.

Let me articulate.

1. I am the last guy you want to use as an example of when to clean your pistols.

2. Why? Because I hardly ever clean them.

3. Why? A. Because most of my pistols are Glocks. (Not knocking the reliability of other brands when running dirty, but Glock is a completely different animal when it comes to a responsible and reasonable cleaning regiment.) B. I am a Glock Armorer. I have completely detailed stripped, hundreds of Glocks including my own many times.

4. And what have I learned from that? There are two kinds of dirty Glocks. 1. Dry dirty Glocks. And 2. Wet dirty Glocks. A. The Glocks I've detail stripped that have had thousands of rounds thru them, but hardly ever cleaned? The striker pin channels were pretty clear. B. The Glocks I've detailed stripped that have had thousands of rounds thru them, and have been meticulously and regularly cleaned and lubricated?

The firing pin channels were gunky and gummed with not only a mixture of fouling, residue and CLP/Gun Oil/Hoppes/ insert whatever else here? But when that pistol is ran hard and hot, the heat will start to turn that mixture into hard carbon that will stick to the walls of the channels, given enough time, enough rounds and enough cleaning.

I know, most won't ever put that kind of round count thru their pistols as some of the people that I run across do. However, It shows the point I am trying to make which is, you can clean and lubricate a pistol too much, too regularly and too often, even without putting thousands of rounds down range. Striker fired pistols need very little lubricant to run, yet I have seen too many striker pin channels full of dirty CLP to believe that most follow "the less is more" rule. :)

Exactly. I'll even be the heretic in the room and say; the more you regularly field strip and clean a pistol "especially" a striker fired pistol with a striker pin channel, the more often you will want to do a detailed strip of the weapon.

Let me articulate.

1. I am the last guy you want to use as an example of when to clean your pistols.

3. Why? A. Because most of my pistols are Glocks. (Not knocking the reliability of other brands when running dirty, but Glock is a completely different animal when it comes to a responsible and reasonable cleaning regiment.) B. I am a Glock Armorer. I have completely detailed stripped, hundreds of Glocks including my own many times.

4. And what have I learned from that? There are two kinds of dirty Glocks. 1. Dry dirty Glocks. And 2. Wet dirty Glocks. A. The Glocks I've detail stripped that have had thousands of rounds thru them, but hardly ever cleaned? The striker pin channels were pretty clear. B. The Glocks I've detailed stripped that have had thousands of rounds thru them, and have been meticulously and regularly cleaned and lubricated?

The firing pin channels were gunky and gummed with not only a mixture of fouling, residue and CLP/Gun Oil/Hoppes/ insert whatever else here? But when that pistol is ran hard and hot, the heat will start to turn that mixture into hard carbon that will stick to the walls of the channels, given enough time, enough rounds and enough cleaning.

I know, most won't ever put that kind of round count thru their pistols as some of the people that I run across do. However, It shows the point I am trying to make which is, you can clean and lubricate a pistol too much, too regularly and too often, even without putting thousands of rounds down range. Striker fired pistols need very little lubricant to run, yet I have seen too many striker pin channels full of dirty CLP to believe that most follow "the less is more" rule. :)

I can see that, but, isn't it harder to get the residue/powder etc. off after it has been there a while?
I'm hoping that thoroughly blowing the gun off with high pressure after the cleaning will help with that.

Still nobody has any info for stripping?

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Let me articulate.

Good stuff. I just don't shoot enough. Mine surely have less than 5K rounds, wonder when I should detail strip - and maybe put that The Punisher backplate on!

AA

Top Bottom