What's new

Design Your Own Pen

If you could design your own pen, what features would you put in it? Mine would include:

Size: Large, but not too large - Mont Blanc 149/Pelikan M800 size
Nib Material: Gold
Nib Size: 2 nibs, broad for all the time use and stub for when I want the stub effect.
Nib Art: '49er panning for gold
Nib to Section Attachment: Nib/feed screw in as a unit, easily interchangeable by the end user
Section Profile: Round
Fill Format: Piston
Ink View Window: Required, made of clear, not colored material
Cap Attaches: Screw on
Barrel Material: Celluloid
Barrel Shape: Octagonal
Barrel Color: White with black, cracked ice pattern
Cap Material: Celluloid
Cap Shape: Octagonal
Cap Color: White with black, cracked ice pattern
Clip Style: Shaped like a dog sled
Clip Material: Gold
Clip Color: Gold polished
Trim Material: Gold
Color of Trim: Gold
Cap Posts: Slip on
Art on Cap Band: Caribou, Polar Bears, Sled Dogs, Derelict Barge
Inscription on Section Band: "There are strange things done in the midnight sun"
Name of Pen: Tales of the Arctic

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
It’s not easy for me to design my own pen.

Ball point pens ? Those are ‘old’ stuff.

At one time I had 3 Rollerball

pens. Now I have only one.

It is by: R 2 inc. And is 0.7 mm at its nib.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm hoping my Pilot Custom 912 and Lamy 2000 get married and have a baby. Body, cap, and nib from the 912 and Makrolon and piston filler from the 2000. That would be a heck of a pen! I keep the 912 and 2K next to each other in the pen cup, but they just sit there. Don't even hold hands. Sigh...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
  • Stainless steel construction (enamels permitted).
  • Roughly 10mm smooth grip section.
  • Standard international cartridge/converter.
  • Smooth transition between section and body. If I can feel any threads or a step under my grip, it's game over! The amount of spendy pens I see which look downright uncomfortable to me, usually due to pronounced steps from section to body, is staggering. Even a Parker Vector has my teeth on edge after a few lines.
  • Section should also be reasonably cylindrical, although a slight taper or narrowing in the centre is permissible.
  • Medium nib. Easily removable/changeable.
  • Posts securely, without being tail heavy
  • Under £20
Probably much to the disappointment of most folks here, the Baoer 388 is almost a perfect pen for me. If only the trim wasn't as chintzy. The grip could do with being marginally larger too.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I'm hoping my Pilot Custom 912 and Lamy 2000 get married and have a baby. Body, cap, and nib from the 912 and Makrolon and piston filler from the 2000. That would be a heck of a pen! I keep the 912 and 2K next to each other in the pen cup, but they just sit there. Don't even hold hands. Sigh...
Some wild animals are very difficult to breed in captivity, maybe let them run free and see what happens. 😉

I’d try a Pilot Metro with a three sided grip and easily interchangeable nibs, so that I could try different sizes without buying different pens. I’d loosen the clip just a hair to make it easier to clip in the pocket.

I like the size of the Metro. I like fountain pens with the rounded ends rather than the flat ends.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I agree with Bill. That’s a tall order. I’ll just stick with the ready to buy pens. Gel. .07 perhaps.
My Pilot VP hasn’t seen ink in several months.

Top Bottom