What's new

Desert Island Cigar or Pipe Tobacco

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'm sure this thread has appeared here before, but I don't believe I've seen one so here goes. Cigar smokers - if you were stranded and could have a box of only one stick what would it be and why. Pipe smokers - same question, however in addition which pipe from your collection would you bring along and why?

brandaves

Well...don't everyone jump in at once!

This answer changes with time for me but for now I think my desert island tobacco blend would be Solani Aged Burley Flake. It isn't covered in flavoring, the cut of it is fantastic and it smokes reliably each time I light it up.

As for a pipe I think I'd have to choose my Savinelli series III 320. That pipe smokes way above it's price point, feels great in the hand and has a nice rustic appeal. This was a hard choice when considering the 2020 LE. The LE has an unparalleled draw when compared to the rest of my collection but the 320 has become a trusted companion and so gets my vote.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A box of Padron '64 Imperials.

A fresh unopened tub of PA or perhaps SWRA. And my trusty old French poker ... not my best one, but because it's my first and dearest smoker.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Cigar: Montecristo #2. Loved these the first time I had them and still hold a special place for me.

Pipe Tobacco: Probably Scottish Mixture. Although I’ve had just one bowl to date, it has left a lasting impression on me and is a blend I’d want to go back to time and time again. Close second is Escudo.

As for the pipe, hard to beat a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman.

I never do well with these false choice questions, but...
Pipe: Radice Rusticated Bent Apple Twin Bore
Tobacco: PS LBF

proxy.php

brandaves

A box of Padron '64 Imperials.

A fresh unopened tub of PA or perhaps SWRA. And my trusty old French poker ... not my best one, but because it's my first and dearest smoker.
You chose your pipe along the same lines as I did which I think is kind of interesting. We both chose pipes that weren't necessarily our best smokers objectively but ones that we have a connection to. I think that is kind of telling about the hobby of pipe smoking.

brandaves

I need some parameters. Do I get to bring along pipe cleaners and paper towels?:lol:
What ever makes it work for you, with the exception of variety when it comes to pipes and tobacco. :D

Pipe: J. F. Germain & Son, Balkan Sobranie
Cigar: Padron 64 Exclisivo Maddy

I think I could live with these choices.
Totally forgot to mention the pipe, I only listed tobacco. How silly.

Smoking pipe: Kirsten Black Regent with XL Merchaum Bulldog bowl.

My favorite smoker and an all around amazing smokers pipe.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No cigars for me, just pipe.

It would have to be a blend I can smoke all the time without flinching or tiring. For me, that rules out ALL the "Wow" blends. I love Condor Long Cut, Squadron Leader, Victorian Mixture, Coniston Cut Plug, University Flake, Presbyterian ... but I couldn't choose any of those. I know I'd eventually reach a point where I'd have had enough.

Instead, I'd have to go for one of the lighter blends. Lighter on nicotine, and lighter in flavour. Something like Gawith RED, or SG Palace Gate, or even GH Blueberry Gold shag. The milder it is, the longer I could go without being tired of it. The more "wowser" it is, the more diversity I need to make that blend stand out. Peterson’s Sherlock Holmes would be another good one. No flakes, just a nice easy packing, easy burning ribbon or shag cut. Any one of those will do. I could stick with that for months.

In what? That's a choice of one! I want a simple no frills pipe that I can abuse, neglect, drop, and it still work. It's a choice of one, because I've done all those things, and it's still going. Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Cherrywood.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For cigars I would bring a box T-52’s, and for tobacco probably Rustica for the Nic Hit to keep things interesting. And for my pipe, maybe Wiebe Radiator as it would be bulletproof.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Easy question to answer:

Cigar - Havana H Upman torpedo
Pipe - my ancient and reliable Peterson 301
Tobacco - 10 pounds Sutliff Ready Rubbed

Lots of matches

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
You chose your pipe along the same lines as I did which I think is kind of interesting. We both chose pipes that weren't necessarily our best smokers objectively but ones that we have a connection to. I think that is kind of telling about the hobby of pipe smoking.

I did. Piping is an experience. It’s more than just burning tobacco. The totality of it also explains the tobacco choice.

I don’t know how you would survive on an island without all that Bourbon, though. ;)

Top Bottom