What's new

Desert Boots

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
It appears that Hutton (under new ownership), the original brand of the playboy chukka, is back at it.

This is the playboy chukka, now known as the “Playtime” since Hutton sold the patent to Sanders after Hutton closed its doors in the late-70’s/early 80’s, I believe.

The Playtime model ticks all the boxes with regard to the originals McQueen wore with the beading around the top of the bumper outsole and the heel-stitching that extends a bit further along the heel.

The heel is not quite as pronounced as the Luther nor is it as wedge-like as the Hi-Top (both made by Sanders)?but falls somewhere in between, IMO.

The Playtime, like Hutton’s Type 01 desert boot, comes with a fairly hefty price tag at approx. $350 USD plus shipping. This is about $100 more than either the Luther or Hi-Top models offered by Sanders.

So unless you plan on starring in a re-make of “Bullitt” or “The Thomas Crown Affair” or perhaps you just prefer the extra details found on the Hutton Playtime, then the offerings from Sanders should satisfy your inner King of Cool-ness. 😎😀

The Playtime by Hutton.

FC405348-52AE-4C17-BDF9-CED3DB1309A5.jpeg
26AD0816-26EE-47AB-BF81-6A4838BCE90B.jpeg
431AB154-377D-447D-AA45-8E6D3355151F.jpeg

F42CEAA8-51C0-41EC-BA75-AB9B4265C87D.jpeg

I would point out that the crepe
sole on the originals appeared to be dyed black (as can be seen in the picture below) as opposed to the current model which appear to be dyed only along the outsole and not the entire sole.
0DBE06B7-0E56-45B7-ABC5-9A1243B48807.jpeg

7DE50973-B390-46B6-AF63-64D94A52F3AD.jpeg

I’ll let you know when they arrive. 😳

No… I’m kidding… I kid… I’m a kidder. 🤪

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
And while McQueen did popularize the playboy chukka, he also wore a low-top version (as seen here).

Apparently, the guy liked playboy-styled footwear. :yesnod:
45559189-96FD-4A85-BEB9-F046026AE11E.jpeg

Here is a low-top model offered by Playboy Footwear

70DC45E8-B9CF-4904-8966-7436A8E872EA.jpeg

06474F6C-68FD-4A12-93AD-0B9EFA12E3B0.jpeg
3DE77614-8526-4459-A97C-2CF9B38DCB9A.jpeg

Who knew? :huh:

They are a comfortable shoe so I guess it’s understandable.:thumbup1:

B08273A8-6ED1-4DA4-852E-62335A8532E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Very interesting. Based on a quick look at the pictures, I prefer the Luther. It has cleaner lines without the contrasting bead. 100% agree on the comfort factor. At least when it’s not too hot, I wore the Luthers for about 6 weeks straight. A bit heavier than a gym shoe but very comfortable.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Don’t know how I feel about the lighter trim as opposed to the matching/darker one.

Hutton Playtime
6AD408B0-DC8C-4C6C-A5E6-90D92EAE7211.jpeg

Playboy Footwear Original Playboy Style 32
53F00583-D25D-43D5-9BF7-438A7844B33A.jpeg

While I wait for my Crown Harlestones to be made, I get regular emails from them. Not a lot in here that hasn’t been said already in this thread. Still quite a good read even so. It’s oddly amusing that the author mis spelt “heel” as “heal” - I hope their QC is better on the shoes!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
While I wait for my Crown Harlestones to be made, I get regular emails from them. Not a lot in here that hasn’t been said already in this thread. Still quite a good read even so. It’s oddly amusing that the author mis spelt “heel” as “heal” - I hope their QC is better on the shoes!

That’s a great looking sneaker. Good to hear that they have good communication. Which one did you order and how long is the wait time? I see their website indicates that they are experiencing staff shortages due to the pandemic.

I ordered them in tan Horween buffalo with a gum sole. I like the brown deer suede too but I have a couple of pairs of brown suede shoes already and nothing in buffalo. The order was booked on 6/11 with a quoted lead time of 10-25 working days. About a week ago I got an email saying that it would take an additional 5-10 working days before shipping. No rush as far as I’m concerned, I’d prefer good QC to getting them a week sooner. I’m still keen to get them of course. Returns are easy - customer pays shipping. They offer G width on request at no extra cost.

Before I ordered them I took all my shoes - 20+ pairs and assessed them. I had duplicates of some more formal dress styles that I very rarely if ever wear or even polish. Having duplicates made no sense at all. I sent 3 pairs to the charity shop. Even with the Luthers and the Harlestones, if they fit, I will have fewer pairs of shoes than a few weeks ago! In addition they are styles that I will likely wear regularly. If these are a winner, I will seriously consider the brown deer suede option - maybe the desert shoe? Crown told me that they will make up any style in any leather if it’s feasible.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I ordered them in tan Horween buffalo with a gum sole. I like the brown deer suede too but I have a couple of pairs of brown suede shoes already and nothing in buffalo. The order was booked on 6/11 with a quoted lead time of 10-25 working days. About a week ago I got an email saying that it would take an additional 5-10 working days before shipping. No rush as far as I’m concerned, I’d prefer good QC to getting them a week sooner. I’m still keen to get them of course. Returns are easy - customer pays shipping. They offer G width on request at no extra cost.

Before I ordered them I took all my shoes - 20+ pairs and assessed them. I had duplicates of some more formal dress styles that I very rarely if ever wear or even polish. Having duplicates made no sense at all. I sent 3 pairs to the charity shop. Even with the Luthers and the Harlestones, if they fit, I will have fewer pairs of shoes than a few weeks ago! In addition they are styles that I will likely wear regularly. If these are a winner, I will seriously consider the brown deer suede option - maybe the desert shoe? Crown told me that they will make up any style in any leather if it’s feasible.

Looking forward to seeing them when they arrive. The buffalo and gum combo is a nice look

Interesting that you are assessing your shoe collection as I found myself doing the same thing after coming to the realization that I was never going to wear all these formal shoes to work anymore and ended up listing 11 pair Johnston & Murphy shoes on Poshmark (4 pair have sold thus far).

The proceeds from the sale of those shoes will fuel the purchase of other shoes that I have my eyes on.

I must say, as with any type of decluttering, it was somewhat liberating to move some of this stuff along to others that will use (and enjoy) those shoes that still have lots of miles left on them rather than just sitting in my closet.

The 12 pair of Aldens I have left should sustain me at work until I (if I ever) retire. 🙄😀

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After delving into desert boot/chukka offerings from Astorflex, Sanders, Alden and Velasca, two years later I’ve now come full circle to the original Clark’s Desert Boot.

I came across a pair of what I believe to be the “cola” suede being offered at the unbeatable President’s Day sale price of $72 (with free shipping) so I couldn’t pass it up. I never heard of the online store (Ruze) where I purchased them from so we shall see how reliable they are.

This colorway appears to be the Clark’s “Cola” suede although Ruze lists it as “brown” but Clark’s offers no such colorway so I’m assuming it’s the Cola. Also, the color varies wildly in photos from various websites.

Here are photos from a different website:

F0DE3DD0-0080-4B1B-9578-389CF2309689.jpeg

3D632CE5-3BF3-4620-ABBF-A94F11DB3289.jpeg
I’m guessing they will be darker than the ones shown above.

Here are some photos from the Ruze website:

BE874532-9D0A-4DB3-86C5-16C49CD294DA.jpeg
48824B65-EEFA-4A11-92B5-23F65C10E12F.jpeg

It will be nice to compare them with the Greenflex as well as some of the other desert/chukkas that I have to the original.

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As I have often mentioned in various posts about Astorflex footwear is that although they provide excellent craftsmanship at very reasonable prices, I always found the toe box area to lean towards being a bulbous look rather than a more tapered look. Hence, the selling of my pair of Dukeflex chukkas in exchange for a pair of Flizzon chukkas by Velasca.

Well… I guess Astorflex might be listening to this sort of feedback regarding styling as can be seen in this blurb from Huckberry regarding the release of the Brownflex chukka boot…

5D24EF23-1982-4445-AC96-95AB664DDC2A.jpeg

and voilá!

D3AD9107-5D28-4DC4-A94E-9DBFD41A961C.jpeg

The Brownflex Chukka Boot appears to have a more tapered look, closely resembling the true look of the 60’s desert boot.

Look at the toe area of the Greenflex compared to the Brownflex…

The Greenflex…
AA60AD19-8FF2-4560-90FF-41B78EE5F517.jpeg

The Brownflex…
C27DB472-A1CB-475F-86D1-7905660C75DF.jpeg

Now I just received a tracking update that the Clark’s Desert Boot that I ordered is arriving today. 🙄

I may have to conduct a side by side (… by side 😬) comparison of these boots.

Good on Astorflex for listening to customer feedback. :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Clark’s Desert Boot arrived last night. Now the seller (Ruze) listed the color as “brown” and this was their photo…
200C976E-E253-4252-838B-058AB3EE0469.jpeg

The actual color, which is given in the product specs and written on the side of the box, is Clark’s “Ginger Hairy Suede” (which I do like) and this is the actual color taken from a photo from the End Clothing's website.
AC6EF68C-8B01-42CC-B403-9F2DAD13EED4.jpeg

I’ll post some more pics later of the actual boot but I just wanted to point out that End Clothing has a much better camera than Ruze (or should they spell their name R-u-s-e) 🙄

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The Clark’s Desert Boot arrived last night. Now the seller (Ruze) listed the color as “brown” and this was their photo…
View attachment 1613896

The actual color is Clark’s “Ginger Hairy Suede” (which I like) and this is the actual color from a photo from End Clothing's website.
View attachment 1613898

I’ll post some more pics later of the actual boot but I just wanted to point out that End Clothing has a much better camera than Ruze. 🙄
As always, caveat emptor (though I find both colors appealing).

Good thread this. I’ve been a desert boot wearer since I was a little kid, so getting on for 50 years. Have about 15 pairs. Mainly Clark’s (of course) but I do also like J Crew’s McAllistair, made in Italy (maybe by Astorflex?). I agree that the Astorflex Greenflex is a little too chunky, but they are as comfy as hell though. I do have a couple pairs of their Driftflex, which are much closer to Clark’s. Those Brownflex seem to be the same shoe, but with a new name.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Good thread this. I’ve been a desert boot wearer since I was a little kid, so getting on for 50 years. Have about 15 pairs. Mainly Clark’s (of course) but I do also like J Crew’s McAllistair, made in Italy (maybe by Astorflex?). I agree that the Astorflex Greenflex is a little too chunky, but they are as comfy as hell though. I do have a couple pairs of their Driftflex, which are much closer to Clark’s. Those Brownflex seem to be the same shoe, but with a new name.

Thanks for that info. That’s interesting that the new Brownlex could just be a Driftflex redux.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Clark’s Ginger Hairy Suede Desert Boot.

BF572067-5D9D-48E6-A0BC-47296D9C3DC1.jpeg
FCF0C9E4-33DC-4988-8A8C-50578C1AABE8.jpeg
6C84362C-4C13-4D93-8C69-E5F8977FF489.jpeg
54670C60-2BBF-42DA-BA72-D4B3923A861B.jpeg
745B1927-F988-4386-B5AC-A006B716D1FC.jpeg

With the nap down (left) and nap up (right)
BE861F57-2A36-4764-9352-0E1DF9767E8F.jpeg
30A5AB40-4598-4A2C-A8D7-4617158BD4AF.jpeg

No matter what color you call it, I like it. :thumbup1:

Definitely has a bit of a burnt, orangey look to them.

I’ll wear them around the house today for their initial voyage.

FEBA22D8-B501-4CCC-B962-7320C631F824.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom