BD0CC950-4340-4730-83D7-F884DC51D743.jpeg

63D226AD-9182-44E9-B422-BD36D0E88057.jpeg
99F329FC-61AF-4B02-9AC9-C3A8A855B30F.jpeg
2263E441-DFA1-4C49-B566-CC9D06CF8DD8.jpeg
6C7A7A80-E699-4312-96F2-B4646B7C5A93.jpeg
A878FD74-4AE0-470C-9B80-034A78EE256E.jpeg

978BEE6E-0576-47FC-9032-F8145C4A2562.jpeg
856BB081-ECCE-43E9-B64C-1BBC53EC63A9.jpeg

Acquiring these shoes took some doing. After trying to figure out the right size, I received a pair in the mail and they were way too big.

So back to England they went. I incurred an additional $13 for the shipping but pediwear had knocked off 10 GBP when I purchased them so it was a wash.

It took a couple of extra weeks to get it right but I am very pleased and the decision to go down a whole size was the right one.

The snuff suede is luxuriant and the feel of the suede is very soft. I went down from a 11.5 US to a 10.5 US and now the fit is perfect and the boots are very comfortable. :thumbup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Hearing the dreaded clicking of an ill-fitting steel shank in my new 1493’s. Put in the call to the vendor and sent a video of me walking with boots making a very loud clicking sound.

Vendor responded:

“sounds like a loose shank. Send the ‘noise makers’ back and I’ll send a return label and replacement pair out to you. Sorry about that.”

New replacement pair enroute. It should always be that easy. 👍

783F578E-8BF3-49D4-BF8D-57C232F7CF69.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hearing the dreaded clicking of an ill-fitting steel shank in my new 1493’s.

Those are the Aldens?

Surprised that that would get past their workmanship and QC ... but not surprised that they would be veeeery good to deal with in making things right for you.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Those are the Aldens?

Surprised that that would get past their workmanship and QC ... but not surprised that they would be veeeery good to deal with in making things right for you.

They are Aldens.

The caption to the video I sent said:
“ You would not want to listen to that all day, would you?”

He didn’t hesitate one bit. 😀

Over the years, I have found Alden of San Francisco to be second to none with their customer service.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They are Aldens.

The caption to the video I sent said:
“ You would not want to listen to that all day, would you?”

He didn’t hesitate one bit. 😀

Over the years, I have found Alden of San Francisco to be second to none with their customer service.
Some things are worth paying more for. And the closer I get to the end of my earthly race, the less I am willing to put up with bad service.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, my feet REALLY tell me now if they don't like my choice in footwear for the day. And I don't mean that I am at the point in life where I'm wearing velcro instead of laces on my shoes.

But we didn't have any extra money growing up, so I have an unhealthy connection with things like watches, shoes, ties, hats.... Drives my wife crazy. And I'm cheap, a lot like a child of the Great Depression like my Dad was. Cheap is not the right werd, because I'm generous with my cash..... frugal is the right werd.

So I have a LOT of shoes that I paid relatively little for, but I have found out what quality is the hard way: by wasting money on stuff I THOUGHT was quality, but wasn't.

But if my feet ain't happy, it's ALMOST as bad as when my wife ain't happy!

I always get the Clarks with the synthetic sole. Crepe rubber is really expensive so north of $140 for a casual shoe, I can't go for that.

So far, I like the Luthers the best. Great color. The lining looks well constructed and soft. The sole looks good with that color. The Aldens are a close second. I look forward to seeing the next few pairs in action over the spring!

Sanders certainly looks worth checking out - they had several other desert boot/chukka styles on their site. The Bertie (not to be confused with the Bernie) looks good, pull tab not withstanding. Now that travel is opening up again, it might be worth a trip sometime.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So far, I like the Luthers the best. Great color. The lining looks well constructed and soft. The sole looks good with that color. The Aldens are a close second. I look forward to seeing the next few pairs in action over the spring!

Sanders certainly looks worth checking out - they had several other desert boot/chukka styles on their site. The Bertie (not to be confused with the Bernie) looks good, pull tab not withstanding. Now that travel is opening up again, it might be worth a trip sometime.

I like the Bertie by Sanders and a Goodyear welt too. :thumbup1:

I think I am the most “taken by” the Luther boot since the playboy style of chukka is one I have not tried before.

The quality of the Alden snuff suede is just head and shoulders above the rest and it’s craftsmanship (although I encountered a small snafu that is being quickly rectified) is top-notch.

The Greenflex boot by Astorflex... well... now that boot is just fun to wear.

And as you’ve @blantyre mentioned about saturation, with the recent acquisition of 3 pairs of desert/chukka boots, I think I’m good to go... for now. 🙄😉

Although, I do like this offering from Crown Northampton in brown CXL with a Toffee-colored crepe sole. (Ok... maybe just one more. Maybe next spring 😀). It’s time to look at Chelsea boots.

86E886AE-B960-428D-80C5-437FD09C65A1.png

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The quality of the Alden snuff suede is just head and shoulders above the rest and it’s craftsmanship (although I encountered a small snafu that is being quickly rectified) is top-notch.

"The craftsmanship, apart from when it sucks, is great."

I think I’m good to go... for now. 🙄😉

And new shoes being ordered in three ... two ... one ...

... or poor-stitching. Too soon? :lol:

Let's face it, you always have at least one pair of shoes undergoing the "return/exchange to make it perfect" process at any given time.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Interesting looking version of a desert boot with an interesting backstory.

11F7C4EC-B55B-4AD0-90A4-ED53819FA29C.jpeg

Pronounced fellie.

The original ‘veldtschoens’ (bush shoes) of Africa accompanied the ox-wagons north. In those days, if you needed a pair of shoes you had to shoot a buck. This simple, comfortable and timeless style became the classic World War II desert boot, and is known in the USA as a ‘buck’ or buckskin shoe.

Vellie nice! The leather accent, especially the one on the lace area spoils the lines for me. If they were uniform color/texture I think they would look a lot better and more integrated. I’ve always found two color and or two texture shoes to be very hard to pair with clothes even though I dress very casual most of the time.

I guess not buying them is a chance to truly “save a buck“ In every sense of the word.

The one "issue" I have with them is that the 4-eyelet system seems to result in difficulties with the knot & lacing staying "tight" through the day, compared to shoes with different lacing systems or "bootier" boots.

The result is I need to find laces that are particularly good at holding a knot, whereas the types of laces I normally use with good results don't do as well with this style. I suspect the desert boot may have the same issue.
I don't have any of these presently.. But I have other shoes with similar lace tying issues similar to what you stated and I found that tying them backwards to my normal method made them stay tight during the day...so if you normally loop over in the front of the " rabbit ears " try looping over the back or vice versa...

Top Bottom