What's new

Desert Boots

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@johnniegold Robert, handmade products (whatever they are) are subject to small imperfections or to mininal differences. Now, the real question is: how can we objectively evaluate these little imperfections or differences? The anser is: we simply cannot. What may appear as normal to most people, sadly is not to my eye. I am a perfectionist, and desire the highest standards of precision and accuracy in what I buy. This is one of the two reasons why I do NOT purchase high-end shoes on-line. The other reason is the fit, which MUST be exactly as I desire. Hence, I only buy shoes where I can very carefully check them myself and try them on. If the shoes satisfy MY criteria of perfection and MY criteria of fit, only then I proceed with the purchase.

Long story short, yes "beauty is unquestionably in the eye of the beholder".

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
How hard on your feet do you suspect the break in to be? Sorry for all the questions, those are the first new boots I've seen in awhile that have REALLY tempted me...

I think the break-in period will be fine but I can follow up once I start wearing them to give you some insight.

@johnniegold Robert, handmade products (whatever they are) are subject to small imperfections or to mininal differences. Now, the real question is: how can we objectively evaluate these little imperfections or differences? The anser is: we simply cannot. What may appear as normal to most people, sadly is not to my eye. I am a perfectionist, and desire the highest standards of precision and accuracy in what I buy. This is one of the two reasons why I do NOT purchase high-end shoes on-line. The other reason is the fit, which MUST be exactly as I desire. Hence, I only buy shoes where I can very carefully check them myself and try them on. If the shoes satisfy MY criteria of perfection and MY criteria of fit, only then I proceed with the purchase.

Long story short, yes "beauty is unquestionably in the eye of the beholder".

I agree that the best way is to actually try on the item. Many times, ordering shoes online is a precarious proposition where imperfections on a particular pair cannot be seen in photos nor can fit be assessed. Getting to a brick and mortar store may not always be feasible (or even available).

Recently, I’ve tried shoes that aren’t sold in stores located in this country (at least that I know of) i.e. Velasca (Italy) and Sanders (England) so the only way is to try them is the “hit or miss” method. Perhaps some proprietors in NYC would carry them.

I’ve dealt with David at pediwear.co.uk and he is very helpful in trying to get the right fit by requesting the length and circumference measurements of your foot in an attempt to get you the best fit.

Having ordered many shoes from a particular Alden distributor, they have been kind enough to send me several pairs of the same shoe in different sizes to allow me to try them on and provide a free return shipping bag.

No matter which method you use to actually view and try on shoes, I think it’s safe to say...

Buying shoes is hell. :lol:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I think the break-in period will be fine but I can follow up once I start wearing them to give you some insight.

I agree that the best way is to actually try on the item. Many times, ordering shoes online is a precarious proposition where imperfections on a particular pair cannot be seen in photos nor can fit be assessed. Getting to a brick and mortar store may not always be feasible (or even available).

Recently, I’ve tried shoes that aren’t sold in stores located in this country (at least that I know of) i.e. Velasca (Italy) and Sanders (England) so the only way is to try them is the “hit or miss” method. Perhaps some proprietors in NYC would carry them.

I’ve dealt with David at pediwear.co.uk and he is very helpful in trying to get the right fit by requesting the length and circumference measurements of your foot in an attempt to get you the best fit.

Having ordered many shoes from a particular Alden distributor, they have been kind enough to send me several pairs of the same shoe in different sizes to allow me to try them on and provide a free return shipping bag.

No matter which method you use to actually view and try on shoes, I think it’s safe to say...

Robert, if it may help, Velasca had a plan pre-pandemic to open in the USA, after having opened in France and in the UK. Not sure now exactly when and where (New York city?), but the plan is still there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Thank you for the timely response!

I LOVE shoes (footwear in general) and HATE buying them online.

I was a floor nurse for too many years, and I wore New Balance size 10 EEEE.

After I switched to doing "sitting half of the day nursing" my feet began to slowly shrink!

Now that I'm retired my dress shoes can range from 8.5M to 10D.

And what I refer to as "Tennis Shoes" it's mostly 9.5, maybe a 9...

My last internet shoe purchase was some Born loafers/driving shoes that are 9, but I should have gone with an 8.5.... I use them as slippers around 'bout the house mostly. If my breathing is not particularly good and I can't tie my shoes that well and I have a doctor's appointment or something I will wear them, and my back and legs pay for it if we run errands.

I say all that to say this: I like the idea of an Alden distributor sending me 3 pairs of shoes to try on!

The Born loafers were purchased, VERY low cost, on the 'Bay, so I knew going in that the risk was low cost anyway. The biggest cost was in convincing my lovely bride to let me purchase them. You see, she calls me Imelda Marcos (Emelda?) because my love was a minimalist before that was a "thing", and I am a "Maximalist" and a hoarder.

As my dad used to say: at least we only ruined one good marriage by us getting together!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So let’s keep this desert boot party going. Today, the Alden 1493 Snuff Suede Chukka arrived. This suede is unbelievably soft and buttery smooth.

The snuff color is lustrous and rich (some of the first few pics they appear lighter then they really are). These boots are definitely a more refined desert/chukka boot. Not the knock-around variety of say a Clark’s or the Greenflex.

Here is Alden’s description:

“This unique combination of super soft calfskin snuff suede uppers with vegetable tanned insoles. Flex construction leather outsoles provide a great looking classic casual boot, while the natural sole edge further enhances this very appealing boot.

Flex models are made with Goodyear welted construction; beneath the insole is a layer of cork, providing additional resilience and insulation.”

The Alden chukka falls more on the dressier side of the desert boot spectrum then the others we’ve been discussing.

The break-in period lasts about as long as it takes to put them on. They are as soft and comfortable as your favorite pair of slippers or camp moccasins. They also feel much lighter than the Greenflex boot, perhaps due to not having a thick crepe sole.
6DE8D919-6C17-467B-A7A8-194BB22055AE.jpeg
49692299-5DCF-41B9-9FAD-5AA5754E1922.jpeg
80AE9C60-B2F3-445C-A963-42DAEF104739.jpeg
00EFABD8-9221-4C9B-85F5-09D6BD624DDA.jpeg
D322741B-8F46-405D-A455-4A3A3A736CF4.jpeg
38CE9DF5-B6E3-4430-BE86-AECA50482403.jpeg
FB975771-F591-46BD-B454-9DB4FAA95487.jpeg
B29DD8FA-2FFD-4281-93CC-4A7101868A94.jpeg

These boots are incredible and have always been on my “must-have” list.

The quality and craftsmanship are excellent. :thumbup1:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Those look sharp Bob.

I've been on the fence with buying a pair of desert boots from a local NZ manufacture for a few years. McKinlays - Gibson Donkey Suede.
Winter is on the way down here, so will get a pair come spring. Or better still since they're made to order, place a order late winter.

I've not owned a pair of Suede boots for many years, I see them a good fit for the warm and dry weather.

Capture.JPG

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Those look sharp Bob.

I've been on the fence with buying a pair of desert boots from a local NZ manufacture for a few years. McKinlays - Gibson Donkey Suede.
Winter is on the way down here, so will get a pair come spring. Or better still since they're made to order, place a order late winter.

I've not owned a pair of Suede boots for many years, I see them a good fit for the warm and dry weather.

View attachment 1233174

That is a very smart-looking boot. 👍

I must say that I have not previously heard of this company.

C365531D-0E12-47E1-8203-7B43276E202F.jpeg

This distinctive contrasting outsole make the boots pop a bit and nicely accentuates the Italian-suede upper.
B9B07B26-1C39-43EC-93B3-4FA4606B7D7C.jpeg

McKinlays describes this boot as a a “Men’s traditional leather desert boot. Donkey Suede with nitrile rubber sole and brown stitching.”

The craftsmanship on these boots appears to be excellent.

On the “Haast Redwood” boot (also by McKinlays), which is categorized as a “Men’s dress desert boot”, the double-stitching along the outsole demonstrates not only a sturdy, well-made boot but some very nice attention to detail.

EA663D6E-A575-43BD-8086-210EAE970D95.jpeg

FEB13F5A-BD34-46C4-B9E9-AC5C747827FC.png

So you’re going to wait until the spring to order them? Your restraint is admirable. :yesnod: :biggrin:

Post some pics when they arrive. :thumbup1:

Btw, this colorway is eye-catching as well.

WHOA!
9C5AA913-6217-4F60-81CA-C9BC480996EE.jpeg

😳😀😎

Last edited:
A lot of really nice options here. Those Aldens are really outstanding. I’m pretty sold on the idea of a basic crepe sole in a light color. Based on considerable variability I’ve decided not to buy anything that I can’t: 1. Try on, and 2. Inspect for QC issues.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That is a very smart-looking boot. 👍

I must say that I have not previously heard of this company.

View attachment 1233226

This distinctive contrasting outsole make the boots pop a bit and nicely accentuates the Italian-suede upper.
View attachment 1233227

McKinlays describes this boot as a a “Men’s traditional leather desert boot. Donkey Suede with nitrile rubber sole and brown stitching.”

The craftsmanship on these boots appears to be excellent.

On the “Haast Redwood” boot (also by McKinlays), which is categorized as a “Men’s dress desert boot”, the double-stitching along the outsole demonstrates not only a sturdy, well-made boot but some very nice attention to detail.

View attachment 1233225
View attachment 1233232

So you’re going to wait until the spring to order them? Your restraint is admirable. :yesnod: :biggrin:

Post some pics when they arrive. :thumbup1:

Btw, this colorway is eye-catching as well.

WHOA!
View attachment 1233240

😳😀😎

Those blue shoes are a stand out statement.

I've got a few shoes and boots from Mckinlays. They are well made and will last for years.
NZ winters have a lot of rain and I prefer not to wear suede shoes when it's wet, so even if I get them now they would not get much use. I've got my eye on a pair of Beaumont Cabana for winter from them but don't like the Tractor Sole they come with, so are thinking of asking the to make a pair for me with the NHS Black Soles. It's the same sole as on a pair of their Jackson Cabana that I own. Not too bulky and quite comfortable.

I'll post some picture of the desert boots when I get them for sure.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Greenflex by Astorflex Redux:

The exchange from Huckberry arrived today. I had exchanged a Size 10 for a Size 11 and I am very pleased. This boot is very comfortable with room in the toe box whereas the Size 10 was very snug.

And I’m also very pleased with switching to the Stone color from the Sand color. I guess it’s only natural to order a desert boot in sand. 🙄

But when I think “desert boot”, this is the color I see in my mind. Although it may be called “stone”, it does have some beige/taupe tones in it.

Here are both colors for comparison:

9DFB2D75-BA43-4163-9061-71C2FFF656A2.jpeg
5D1F2743-DCD0-4155-9B96-40BBFA3C97C9.jpeg

2894C78E-4A9A-4F4B-B692-87D67BF781FA.jpeg
E8EFC561-5069-4D26-A066-37B7A7EDEAED.jpeg
D7282147-792D-4A47-8568-CE18F1400DBD.jpeg

No Leaning Tower of Pisa here 😀
9FD554AC-0802-48FD-B307-A9D8D905E9D3.jpeg

Notice the difference in the crepe soles:

Note the ridges in the sole...
36372031-CB61-4ECE-BE12-D6BE26E53E27.jpeg

No ridges. More in line with crepe.
DDC0EC8C-3538-40F8-8600-A402B7287838.jpeg

I kinda like both of the laces provided but I’m leaning with the brown laces as opposed to the tan laces to provide a little contrast.

CB21F615-FBB3-47B8-A6FB-DE5426C58EDF.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
These boots are well-made. The suede has a nice hand and there is a thick leather mid-sole. The crepe sole feels a bit stiff but I’m sure it will break in nicely. I’m looking forward to knocking these around and breaking them in.
46B9F1DD-C1D4-4BF8-802D-467D53765D9B.jpeg

05EB4F0D-3380-41C8-8F65-1BD0E53EC879.jpeg

92140BF3-0DE0-4ECD-8483-77380D60DC53.jpeg

BE7AA565-3788-4737-AE1F-23EB295267B7.jpeg

FarmerTan

These boots are well-made. The suede has a nice hand and there is a thick leather mid-sole. The crepe sole feels a bit stiff but I’m sure it will break in nicely. I’m looking forward to knocking these around and breaking them in. View attachment 1234469
View attachment 1234470
View attachment 1234472

View attachment 1234473
I was about to say I liked the contrast of the darker laces better, but after seeing them on your feet, and the color of your pants and socks..... nope! I prefer them with the lighter colored laces.

At least with that look you are currently rocking!

The replacement Astorflex look great. I like the abscence of the fussy pull loop as well as the color and sole style. Are these both the same style? There seem to be small but significant differences other than just the size and color. I wonder if you got the end of the old style with the second pair and the beginning of the new style with the first pair? Hopefully that's not the case.

FarmerTan

The replacement Astorflex look great. I like the abscence of the fussy pull loop as well as the color and sole style. Are these both the same style? There seem to be small but significant differences other than just the size and color. I wonder if you got the end of the old style with the second pair and the beginning of the new style with the first pair? Hopefully that's not the case.
Man. I hadn't even noticed the lack of the pull tab. Good eye!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I was about to say I liked the contrast of the darker laces better, but after seeing them on your feet, and the color of your pants and socks..... nope! I prefer them with the lighter colored laces.

At least with that look you are currently rocking!

I get that. Maybe I’ll switch them out with denim. Only two eyelets so not much effort involved.

They are slightly different as seen here. The difference in cost between them is 5 bucks, which I guess is for the pull loop as I really didn’t notice much difference in the suede upper and the slight difference in the crepe sole design.

I do prefer no pull-loop as well.
8CDEA82D-F9FC-487B-A969-C6270E28BF5D.jpeg

98A892F1-3346-4B0B-B52C-4D509B76A396.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The Greenflex by Astorflex Redux:

The exchange from Huckberry arrived today. I had exchanged a Size 10 for a Size 11 and I am very pleased. This boot is very comfortable with room in the toe box whereas the Size 10 was very snug.

And I’m also very pleased with switching to the Stone color from the Sand color. I guess it’s only natural to order a desert boot in sand. 🙄

But when I think “desert boot”, this is the color I see in my mind. Although it may be called “stone”, it does have some beige/taupe tones in it.

Here are both colors for comparison:

View attachment 1234438View attachment 1234440

View attachment 1234439View attachment 1234441View attachment 1234443

No Leaning Tower of Pisa here 😀
View attachment 1234446

Notice the difference in the crepe soles:

Note the ridges in the sole...
View attachment 1234445

No ridges. More in line with crepe.
View attachment 1234444

I kinda like both of the laces provided but I’m leaning with the brown laces as opposed to the tan laces to provide a little contrast.

View attachment 1234450
Damn fine looking boots!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After wearing the Greenflex desert boot for a day, there is no doubt that if Astorflex offered half-sizes then a 10.5US/43.5 EU would have been the sweet-spot. Size 10US/43EU was too small and the 11US/44EU is a tad too loose.

I wore a thicker (white tube) sock today but it was still a bit roomy. I put in a very thin insole with the same thick sock and it was much better.

The insole with a slightly thinner sock will be perfect.

@FarmerTan

I also changed to the tan laces. It feels more like a desert boot with those laces as opposed to the dark laces (if that makes any sense 🙄😀😎).

E75A8F5F-A77D-445B-B66C-E411F8C0F7EA.jpeg

FarmerTan

After wearing the Greenflex desert boot for a day, there is no doubt that if Astorflex offered half-sizes then a 10.5US/43.5 EU would have been the sweet-spot. Size 10US/43EU was too small and the 11US/44EU is a tad too loose.

I wore a thicker (white tube) sock today but it was still a bit roomy. I put in a very thin insole with the same thick sock and it was much better.

The insole with a slightly thinner sock will be perfect.

@FarmerTan

I also changed to the tan laces. It feels more like a desert boot with those laces as opposed to the dark laces (if that makes any sense 🙄😀😎).

View attachment 1235004
VERY nice. I'm just waiting for Sammy Davis Jr. or Deano to walk into the frame!

Top Bottom