What's new

Describing edge sharpness

I’ve seen a lot of adjectives floating around to describe edge sharpness (scary sharp, laser sharp, etc.). What are the best terms that you’ve come across? What is the ultimate level of sharpness in your book?

I got a kick out of all of these different classifications of sharpness on this chart.
sharpnesschart.png

I heard "velvet squeegee" in a youtube which sounded rather enjoyable. I think that probably addresses the gestalt of an edge rather than its pure "sharpness" though.

Last edited:

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I refer to my knife edges that I do for coworkers as, "Bringing Men to Jesus" because that's what they usually say when they first examine the edges I do for them. Most likely the sharpest thing they've ever handled.

Jesus that's sharp!!!! The wife thinks I should make them sign a liability waiver.

sharp, sharp enough, very sharp, super sharp, hyper sharp. There are more adjectives in the bank too.
It's all really subjective rhetoric, probably not worth trying to dissect. There are soooo many variables affecting the 'cut', and no matter what - not all reports are going to be connected to reality anyway. Enthusiasm over a great shave can sometimes bring on distorted viewpoints. It's all good because it's just shaving.

By nature of the design, for those equating sharpness to edge width, a foil edge is sharpest; but it is also a miserable edge that can be dangerous. And it will, most likely, fail quickly.
I tend to view most edge 'descriptions' as just 'conversation' and not a scientific classification. I generally shoot for 2-3 different 'levels' of 'edge' on razors, more on knives sometimes but I will usually just shoot for basic functionality.

Top Bottom