What's new

Describe yourself

rtaylor61 said:
Sue,

Love the hair...had a similar cut in High School...Rock and Roll!!!

Randy

I am stuck in the 70's! lol....

This pic was taken 5 years ago.. since then, I grew it down to my hips and then layered it all out again. I guess I just had to know I could still do it....

I almost died from the heat last summer, it's just not worth it at my age... maybe I should get one of those military dooos

Mama Bear said:
I am stuck in the 70's! lol....

This pic was taken 5 years ago.. since then, I grew it down to my hips and then layered it all out again. I guess I just had to know I could still do it....

I almost died from the heat last summer, it's just not worth it at my age... maybe I should get one of those military dooos

NO! I got my hair cut "short" in March for my daughters wedding...guess it's about time for another cut...my boss is giving me HELL!

Randy

mrs. chefchris said:
I like the pic Sue. Your personality shows in your eyes. Is that a hint of mischief I see? :wink:

Damn... only a HINT.....lol

I thought the camera knew what it was doing.....lol :biggrin:

Sue, mischief, what mischief..... :eek:

rtaylor61 said:
John,

Maybe I should hook you up with my sister...she works at Bell Helicopter...maybe she can "make you a deal"!

Randy
Randy,
funny thing, my old outfit (I was a gunner in an "HCS" helicopter outfit) was formed in 1989, with the then new HH60H helicopter; prior to that it had been 2 seperate squadrons, HAL-5, flying the HH-1, and HC-9, flying (gasp!) H-3's. I'm rambling. Anyway, when I checked in in 1995 there were lots of people who for years would get angry at the H60, and we'd hear comments like, "Why don't we just roll off this Sikorsky Piece of @#$# and replace it with the proper BELL product..." As for introducing me to your sister, she might never forgive you! :eek: Just kidding, of course....not that I could afford a helicopter...I'll save that for AFTER my world domination phase....(Sorry Canada, I WILL have local access to some of that JM Fraser...I'm sure you understand) Still, you can feel safe letting her know that even now Bell's helicopters are QUITE well thought of.
Steve, I probably wasn't born when your picture was taken, but I'll bet that helicopter I'm a crewman on....was already flying....
I'm in a weird mood today.
John P.

I am proud of both of you... and glad there are men like you in this world.. Thank you both. :thumbup1:

Edit.... Thanks to all of you who have ever served. My freedom may have been hard won, but it is not treasured any the less for this.

Hugs and tears in my eyes for all you do for all of us.........

Sue, No problem! It's nice to be appreciated from time to time for sure.
Steve, I know what you mean,
Yeah it hits quick...I looked at pictures from A-school or boot camp 12 years ago, and it is depressing. I looked 12.
John P.

John,

I'm not totally sure what her "job description" is, but it has something to do with internal communications. She's been there about 5 years, and very proud of what they do.

Randy

Randy,
makes sense she would be. Some of my buddies are getting transferred out, and a couple are trying to get NAS Fallon (NV) station SAR;
They fly Bell H-1's.
I've never flown in one personally, but coming from the HCS background, envy anyone that still gets away with landing wherever they please....and station SAR H-1's usually fit the bill.
Where is she located out of, does she like it? I don't plan on doing this forever, gotta think about something when I retire from play and have to do real work :biggrin:

John P.

JohnP said:
Still, you can feel safe letting her know that even now Bell's helicopters are QUITE well thought of.
Steve, I probably wasn't born when your picture was taken, but I'll bet that helicopter I'm a crewman on....was already flying....John P.

John.....You were probably 5-6 years away from being born when that photo was taken. I was a 23 year old Warrant Officer flying UH1-D's (Hueys) that were always in need of maintenance and would have been redlined anywhere else but Vietnam. They were great aircraft and could take a beating. I can tell you that part of my life has served to make me appreciate just being alive.

JohnP said:
Randy,
makes sense she would be. Some of my buddies are getting transferred out, and a couple are trying to get NAS Fallon (NV) station SAR;
They fly Bell H-1's.
I've never flown in one personally, but coming from the HCS background, envy anyone that still gets away with landing wherever they please....and station SAR H-1's usually fit the bill.
Where is she located out of, does she like it? I don't plan on doing this forever, gotta think about something when I retire from play and have to do real work :biggrin:

John P.

John,

She works out of Ft. Worth, Texas. She doesn't talk much about what is going on.

Randy

slcsteve said:
John.....You were probably 5-6 years away from being born when that photo was taken. I was a 23 year old Warrant Officer flying UH1-D's (Hueys) that were always in need of maintenance and would have been redlined anywhere else but Vietnam. They were great aircraft and could take a beating. I can tell you that part of my life has served to make me appreciate just being alive.
Steve, while I'm not a pilot, (in the Navy only regular line O's can, and to be a warrant in the Navy you have to make E-7 before you can even TRY...) However I can completely identify with the second part of your statement. I guess my wheels turn slow some days, though, the first time "bad guys" tried to get me it didn't click at all until I was back on the ground. Doesn't seem so bad now, but not something I'd want to repeat, either. I do wish I had more pictures of the GOOD times I also had over there.
John P.

JohnP said:
Steve, while I'm not a pilot, (in the Navy only regular line O's can, and to be a warrant in the Navy you have to make E-7 before you can even TRY...) However I can completely identify with the second part of your statement. I guess my wheels turn slow some days, though, the first time "bad guys" tried to get me it didn't click at all until I was back on the ground. Doesn't seem so bad now, but not something I'd want to repeat, either. I do wish I had more pictures of the GOOD times I also had over there.
John P.

Back then they simply held a mirror close to your mouth and if it fogged you were qualified to enter flight school.

rtaylor61 said:
John,

She works out of Ft. Worth, Texas. She doesn't talk much about what is going on.

Randy
Hmmm....
Ft. Worth....
Sorry....I'll leave your sister alone :wink: I'm sure she's pretty awesome though.
I really am looking at something. 7 years can go by REALLY fast....
John P.

slcsteve said:
Back then they simply held a mirror close to your mouth and if it fogged you were qualified to enter flight school.

These days, you need a pysch degree, a computer degree and policial science as a minor... Doesn't matter if you can fly or not.............

Sue,
Seems to me you may have hit the nail on the head....
I was actually lured INTO the Navy from college for an O program they then promptly cancelled. My timing is TERRIBLE sometimes.
Still....I've seen some folks "up front" do some things that make me wonder....
Funny only because we all lived, if you know what I mean. Steve, some of our original pilots at HCS were Vietnam pilots, and if they are any gauge, I'll bet you were a better pilot than you are letting on. When the last of those retired it was a real loss.
John P.

Steve,
something some the former HAL guys in my outfit used to talk about, but just curious, did you ever mark up the glass in front of you with a grease pencil, to help aim the rockets?
Some of the pilots we had used to do that, but not in the 60-no rockets.
-we did finally get hellfires, but talk about a PITA.
John P.

There are few people I would ever trust in life.. but if you flew in the military once apon a time, you have instant respect from me. There is picture circulating the web now of a guy in a chinook with his tail end down on the top of building for people uploads. There is a certain milisecond life or death reality that most folks just don't understand.. I find it incredibly sexy, but that is probably not the right term for it. Respect. Respect.

When I first started my wire and cable business back in '89, I was next the Glenview Naval Airstation.. it is a neighborhood development now. Created by the same people who are developing the land next door to me again this day.... :w00t: I HATE developers.... necessary evil I guess, but :mad:

Growing up we used to crawl on top of this building (It belonged to my Dad) and watch the blue angels come and practise for the Chicago Air show. I never saw the Chicago air show... I was happy to watch them practise... God was I happy....

But when I started my business with no airconditioning... the Navy guys trained to hover with an H1.... Hover for endless hours. In one place. Never moving... usually over my building at lunchtime, the hottest hours of the day and me with no AC... not being able to hear on the telephone..

I think I was pretty pissed off about them hovering over my building, but there is a certain amount of jealousy also.. I LOVE planes and can fly.. but helicopters are still just a dream for me..

And that guy in the Chinook... Holy Mother of God, I am glad for men such as he..

Um... sorry, got a little long winded there......... :crying:

John.....I flew 'slicks'. The only armament we carried were 2 M-60's, one at each door. The pilots carried S&W 38's in shoulder holsters and most of the time there was an extra M-16 that was "acquired" from various sources. Cobras hadn't made it in yet and Loaches were just starting to arrive. The gunships were C-model Hueys, generally armed only with flex M-60's/rocket pod combos. There were some other variations like wire guided rocket and grenade launchers but it was really primitive compared to today's ordinance.

Top Bottom