What's new

DE's with the most feedback (blade feel and sound)?

Hi All!

After getting even deeper into this rabid hole and trying out some single edge stuff (Alumigoose and GEM Bullet Tip) I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the feedback these razors give. There is a very noticeable sound when shaving and blade feel on the skin. Neither is harsh but you can feel where the blade is and what it is doing, angle, pressure etc... I find that this combined with the auditory cues has been giving me really great shaves in that I'm better able to feel and hear what I'm doing and hone in on the correct cutting angle, pressure etc... much more easily.

I'm looking for some DE's to try that would have these similar qualities. I've got a number of DE's right now like Feather, Gillette Tech, Maggard Slant etc... But I don't find any of them to give the feedback I want. It feels like I'm shaving blind in that I don't feel much or hear much comparatively. The closest I have right now in DE is the Maggard V3A in terms of feel but not much sound. That said, I'm still getting good shaves with minimal irritation but I'm just miss that engagement and feel that I could be getting better shaves with more feedback.

So I'm looking for suggestions on razors that have tons of feedback. I'm wide open on price for this too so throw anything out there :)

If you want LOUD there's nothing like a GEM or ER 1912. They're Fender Stratocaster loud. And great shavers too.

In DE the loudest I have is my Gillette Old Type.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
If you want loud, try a Russian plastic DE like a Leningrad. Holy cow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Blade chatter arises from lack of rigidity. Fatips are quite rigid; so little audible feedback would be expected.

Both my Rockwell and Timeless 95 OC sing quite well, and provide some blade feel. - I use R6 with the Rockwell, and toss in a KAI to give more of both.

M

member 119848

the PAA bakelite open comb slant (BOCS) is very generous in audio feedback and blade feel
69B8DF56-91B0-4CCD-BC60-C37507547B5B.jpeg

The Blackbird has good blade feel. I listen to a podcast while I shave do I can’t comment on the sound. The original Above The Tie razors also have good blade feel.

I personally have never shaved with a razor that wasn't very audible!! When I read that some folks have to check to see if a razor is actually cutting because it either didn't feel like and or they couldn't hear it, I have to question myself as to why every razor I shave with I can hear it cutting? I just thought the audibility was normal and none I've used seems quieter or louder than the other... or so it would seem maybe I just don't pay that much attention to it!!

Love the attention this one is getting!

I agree that my GEM is probably the loudest and most neat sounding thing I've ever shaved with. Im not expecting to find GEM level of sound or feedback but hoping for more than the sterile experience I've currently getting.

Question on sound and chatter, is it really blade chatter that is causing the sound? Chatter clearly isn't good for a smooth shave but I've never had problems with irritation on my GEM and I've got fairly sensitive skin. Same with the Alumigoose, no issues and I don't think that blade (Feather pro and pro super) can chatter much with how tight it's held and how rigid it is yet I still get very nice audible feedback.

Interesting about the PAA, may give one a shot since they are quite cheap.

For Muhle, would the R41 be a good option aside from the Rocca? Open to trying the Rocca just wondering about the infamous R41 as well.

The Blackbird is an interesting suggestion, I've heard really good things about it and about the feel it provides. Any other bladebird owners able to comment on that one?

Also, I can attest that the Fatip is fairly quiet, have a Fatip Piccolo that I'll be selling soon. Wonderful close shave but not a fan of the small handle, Grande may fit me better....

Audibles can occur from scrapping hair instead of cutting hair.
This makes sense if one was a steep angle shaver but for someone who is a shallow angle shaver, (rides the top cap) such as I, this sound is created by the cutting instead. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to understand why some don't hear it at all? My shaves have been audible since I started shaving with a cart some 40+ yrs ago and is no different today with my Timeless Ti95 and SS95 razors...

Hi All!

After getting even deeper into this rabid hole and trying out some single edge stuff (Alumigoose and GEM Bullet Tip) I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the feedback these razors give. There is a very noticeable sound when shaving and blade feel on the skin. Neither is harsh but you can feel where the blade is and what it is doing, angle, pressure etc... I find that this combined with the auditory cues has been giving me really great shaves in that I'm better able to feel and hear what I'm doing and hone in on the correct cutting angle, pressure etc... much more easily.

I'm looking for some DE's to try that would have these similar qualities. I've got a number of DE's right now like Feather, Gillette Tech, Maggard Slant etc... But I don't find any of them to give the feedback I want. It feels like I'm shaving blind in that I don't feel much or hear much comparatively. The closest I have right now in DE is the Maggard V3A in terms of feel but not much sound. That said, I'm still getting good shaves with minimal irritation but I'm just miss that engagement and feel that I could be getting better shaves with more feedback.

So I'm looking for suggestions on razors that have tons of feedback. I'm wide open on price for this too so throw anything out there :)

Oh. I thought it was rabbit hole. 'splains everything!

Top Bottom