Derwent's Entry to the Hall of Fame

What is your real name?
Greg

What are your nicknames/aliases?
Derwent, Spike, carnut

Where do you live?
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

What is your age (or) generation?
Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway! (40...)

What are you in the real world?
Currently an accessory fitter in the automotive world...but I've done everything from running a lawn contracting business to driving a school bus to farmhand, broadband internet network field technician, CAD draftsman, welder...and currently studying for a career in workplace health and safety.

What is your favorite shave setup?
After years of frustration with cartridge razors and skin irritation, I've jumped in the straight razor pool and I'm loving it!
Current favourite is the only one I've managed to get a true shaving edge on so far... an Eskilstuna 5/8 from Edv Neiström which I got off ebay for ten bucks and cleaned up.
Pretty sure the pre-war Puma 6/8 that I inherited from my late father will be my favourite once I've had it restored by an expert though...

Cheap Chinese synthetic brush works just fine.
Cheap cream is doing the job...although I'll be ordering in some MWF very shortly...

Nivea balm for after.

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
Anything mechanical or hands on and artisinal...been fixing up, modifying, and driving old cars since I was a kid...mostly old Euro stuff and old Fords, but these days it's 4x4s and I consider it a very tame weekend if I don't get at least one wheel half a metre off the ground at least once! Restoring and using old tools, wood and metal work. Vintage photography...I have a collection of cameras from the 50s to the 90s including a Rollei TLR, an old folding bellows camera, screw mount Fujicas, the first model Olympus Pen F, and one of the final 1500 or so Zeiss Contaflexes ever made...my partner says I have too many of them! I've also got a collection of automotive sales brochures from the 1950s to the early 2000s which numbers a couple of thousand items...and way too many old books.

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
I'm laid back and easy going, but the older I get the less patience I have with idiots!

Once I get fixed on something, I tend to obsessively research it until I know everything I can absorb...currently a long way down the straight razor rabbit hole!

My brain has its own priorities about what's important. If I meet you, I will forget your name the first half dozen times, and if you give me a shopping list and I don't write it down, I will almost certainly forget at least one item...yet I can quote the registration plate numbers from half of the cars my father owned when I was a kid, I can tell you the exact cubic capacity of every variant of the BMC A series engine, every axle ratio option of the Volvo 240, the scientific names of a bunch of native animals, and a reasonably thorough biography of a bunch of historical figures...but don't ask me what I'm doing in 3 days unless I'm near my calendar!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to the Hall of Fame. Sounds like you and I have a lot of the same tendencies when it comes to taking the deep dive researching new hobbies. It drives my wife crazy.

Welcome to the Hall of Fame. Sounds like you and I have a lot of the same tendencies when it comes to taking the deep dive researching new hobbies. It drives my wife crazy.
Yeah...you're either built that way or you aren't...

Top Bottom